Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help! Glider gone crazy!
Question
Jul 15 2014
04:05:00 PM
I got my male glider in February. He loves his bonding pouch. He goes right in and sleeps. On July 12th I got a female glider. I had to bring her home in his pouch, and she let off a 'fear' scent. My male wouldn't even go in the pouch. So I washed the pouch and got the smell out. But currently he is in the pouch and is desperately trying to get out. This isn't normal for him. He is gong crazy. What do I do? (Please don't recommend the vet).
Question
Jul 16 2014
08:25:35 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Try two new pouches for each. Most of us have boxes full of pouches and cage accessories, toys. You wouldn't need to order them online. A trip to the fabric store for some fleece, a pair of scissors and tying some knots could work... then again I'm realizing you said 'bonding pouch' which are usually zippered. Maybe velcro? (my girls no longer need an enclosure and will hang out in an open top pouch...sorry I didn't notice what you'd said at first.)

Do you have the new glider separate and in her own cage now that she's home? If so are their cages very close to each other? He could be reacting to her being in the home and just really eager to get out there and interact with another glider. Once their vet checks are clear in a couple weeks he'll get his chance!
Question
Jul 16 2014
09:11:39 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I've made a couple hand sewn bonding pouches with and without screens. it's pretty easy and inexpensive. I didn't even buy material i just used a fleece blanket we never use and the netting from my old laundry bag basket.

The zipper enclosure issue was solved with a hole punch and shoe string lol. I just lace the string trough the holes ( spaced about a half inch apart) then cinch the top and tie once the excess string goes around my neck.

It's not the prettiest pouch i'v seen lol but I like the string better than a zipper i don't worry that i'l accidentally zip her tail or toes.
Question
Jul 16 2014
10:15:49 AM
Micamicfly Joey Visit Micamicfly's Photo Album 16 Posts
They are in separate cages, but he doesn't seem interested in her at all. I put them in a space together, and they didn't even look at each other. Maybe it's too soon?
Question
Jul 18 2014
10:52:12 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
When we brought home a male he went crazy trying to get to the female. She was probably in heat or something because he just would not stop. But your glider may be scared or anxious about the new scent. I would separate them into different rooms for a bit... and don't lock him in the bonding pouch! Ours chew through the mesh wires. And it can be dangerous if they do so for quite a few reasons. Play with him away from her scent and give him lots of treats... I don't know what's going on! Just try to get him to calm down and separate them...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders