Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
Help! 2 gliders pregnant by same male at the same time
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2014
11:16:39 PM
Today I recently found out one of my female sugar gliders (sweets) had a Joey in her pouch. A few days ago I watched my first glider Emma give birth to a baby Joey that is now in her pouch. Tonight I was watching them play in the cage and I noticed the two pregnant gliders were by each other and were smelling each other. As I got closer I saw Emma put her mouth very close, too close to sweets' pouch. I quickly tried to move her away, but I'm very scared she's trying to "steal" her baby. Would it have anything to do with the fact they both became pregnant by the same male? I'm very excited to raise and bond with new babies. It would kill me if anything happened to them, please if anyone has answers or advice it would be appreciated.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 23 2014
10:22:43 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Are your gliders rescues? or lineaged? ~Not being rude just asking encase someone says im being mean~

Do all of them live in the same cage? and for how long? Are the girls sisters? Are they bonded to each other?

Most of the time TRIO's only work when you have twins... It IS possible to have a function able trio but not really heard of. If the girls have been housed together since joeys… they MAY have a chance of fully having joeys IP and OOP… DO NOT BE SURPRISED if the joeys do not make it. You need to buy a joey rejection kit encase the mom(s) reject the joey and you can still care for it…

If your gliders do not have lineage you will be frowned upon for having them breed. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I am not lecturing you I am informing you of the Glider community! There are plenty of people trying to keep the glider lines clean by having lineage and then there are back yard breeders/mill breeders that believe its OK for any glider to mate and produce babies that may or may not have birth defects. If your boy is not lineaged then you will need to have him neutered so that you dont have this problem.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 23 2014
03:23:04 PM
Mackenzietrue Starting Member 2 Posts
I actually have 4 gliders (3 girls and 1 boy). They all live in the same cage together. Sweets and Sparkle are sisters. Sparkle is the only one not pregnant. The male was raised with sweets and sparkle. Emma was introduced to the trio about a month ago. They instantly bonded, they love each other. They all sleep in the same sleeping pouch. I just don't know how it will work out with 2 moms and 1 dad. They are very well bonded to me and to each other. Sweets has had joeys 2 times with the male and everything went great. I am just very scared Emma or Sweets might reject their babies, or "steal" each other's. Emma is not related to any of the gliders, neither is the male. It's just the two sisters. Each glider is about a 1 and a half almost 2 years old.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2014
07:53:27 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
There will be a higher chance of rejection/joey snatching seeing that you have 3 females in a cage with one male... And only two of the females are related... Do you have lineage proving that they are all not related? Just because you bought one glider from this breeder and another from this person doesn't mean that they aren't related... My breeding pair has joeys all over America...

Are you selling these joeys that they have? If you do not have lineage you may be inbreeding without knowing. Which is bad for the glider and the "Small colony" you have.... If no lineage... is highly frowned upon.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2014
08:22:09 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
There is also a chance that the third female may pull joeys from the other two, or that she will also be carrying joeys soon.

Your glider population could jump from 4 gliders to 10 within the next few months.

PLEASE neuter your male NOW if you plan to keep him with the 3 females.

Learn all you can about caring for rejected joeys. You may have to deal with several rejected babies at one time, all needing around the clock feedings 24/7 for several weeks. Get a joey rejection kit just in case.

Hopefully all will go well, but you will then have to deal with finding homes for multiple joeys. If you keep the joeys you will need to separate all the female joeys from the colony to prevent in-breeding with their father (if he is not neutered) or their brothers.

You will have the added cost of neutering all male joeys (add that up $$$$ if you should have several males). If you do not neuter the male joeys they will need to be separated from their mothers and sisters before they begin to mature at about 4 months OOP.

In any event you have a long road ahead and some vet bills you may want to start saving for now. You may also need either a very large cage to house the colony or several cages to separate the males and females.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2014
09:00:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

PLEASE neuter your male NOW if you plan to keep him with the 3 females.

.... I agree with Candy!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2014
06:52:09 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
Hello. I know of many breeders that have 3 and 4 lineaged femals with a lineaged male. I know joey stealing and cannabolization is common in captivity, they can get away from each other in the wild. I had a breeding lineaged trio once for 6 months, did not work for me. I pulled Rose (Sister to Azalea) due to Azalea being more bonded to Tyler plus she was stealing and cannabolizing Roses babies, yep I found bone fragments. I pulled Rose and put her with Onyx and they had lots of babies. I will never have more than a breeding PAIR in my cages.Your gliders, your Decision but you did ask. Please get a sugar glider joey rejection kit as suggested, Google it, Even if you never need it you will have it!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories