Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I don't think my sugar glider likes me :(
Behavior
Aug 11 2014
12:49:08 AM
I just got my sugar glider 2 days ago and I really don't think she likes me :/ she hasn't bonded to anyone yet and she's 5 months old. I just really hope she'll bond... This is my first time caring for one as well!
Behavior
Aug 11 2014
01:26:57 AM
ilovemysuggiegliderbaby Glider Visit ilovemysuggiegliderbaby's Photo Album 90 Posts
Honey, you've had her for 2 days. 2 days. That is all. She is going to be fussy, crabby, and maybe even lunging and trying to bite you. That doesn't mean that she doesn't like you. She just doesn't know you. What you have to keep in mind is that she is like an orphan that has just been adopted. She is afraid. She is being introduced to new smells, sounds, and a totally different surrounding. If you were brought into a home with total strangers at a young age then you would be afraid, too. You would cry which is what she is basically doing when she crabs. She is angry and scared and alone. She isn't going to like you at first, but she will grow to love you. I know it is hard. We see our sugar babies, and we love them at first glance. They see us and they are terrified. Remember, she is so much smaller than you. You are a giant to her, and she views you as an unknown thing. A predator in her eyes. I would recommend not holding her or trying to even touch her pouch with her in it until day 3-5. Let her get to know your scent. Sleep with a fleece blankie or pouch underneath you. Many do not like to use t-shirts on/inside of the cage, but I have always worn a t-shirt for a day, slept in it, and then placed it on top of the cage with the seams inside or tucked away at the sleeves. On day 3-5 carry her pouch with you in your house. Everywhere you go in the house. I wouldn't recommend right now to take her pouch out in public because that is too many different scents and sounds. Also, you wouldn't want to come into contact with anything that could make her sick.

The most important thing is to not be afraid. They can sense that, and your fear scares them more. So, if she bites you -- DO NOT pull your hand away in fear. That lets her know that her tactic worked. She was afraid, she attacked, and you ran away. Leave your hand there. I know that seems frightening, but it doesn't hurt. Dog bites and cat scratches hurt worse.

I wish you good luck. Just give it time and be patient with her.
Behavior
Aug 11 2014
07:27:02 AM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone things brand new little gliders are gonna love them instantly. They are highly sensitive little creatures. They get scared easily. Scared of smells, lights, sounds, movements.... They need time to adjust. Weeks, usually! Good luck!
Behavior
Aug 11 2014
12:46:53 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Yeah 2 days is way too fast! A glider will not be bonded to someone in 2 days. Ive had my female glider for 6 months and she still isnt 'bonded'. She hates to cuddle and would much rather explore other things than be on you. Give the darling creature some time to adjust and do not rush things. Each glider is different and it may take her a while to bond to you. But that is okay! I wish you guys the best of luck in the bonding process!!
Behavior
Aug 11 2014
01:40:26 PM
Baby_Icqouris Starting Member Visit Baby_Icqouris's Photo Album 6 Posts
Thank you guys so much! I didn't know if I was doing something wrong. c: thank you for the advise! I'll work on it!
Information
Aug 13 2014
01:27:06 AM
Roboyuki11 Joey 16 Posts
You have had the glider for 2 days and the bonding process can take months so be patient and wait. Of course she will fuss and crab but put her in a pouch for a few hours a day, sleep with scraps of fleece to put in her cage, and feed her lots of treats (mine love yogurt drops). But don't give up or she will never bond to you. Also put your self in her shoes, say you are sitting at home and a giant picks you up and takes you away you are not just going to become its friend in a matter of minutes, you would fight for you life!
Hope I helped

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders