Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
OMG PLEASE HELP SUGAR GLIDER MIGHT BE SICK
Question
Aug 12 2014
02:46:20 PM
please someone if you know what this is let me know I found it in his pouch twice and I'm really scared
Question
Aug 12 2014
02:56:08 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Weird. No idea. Looks like it could be puke, but I've never seen glider puke. Make sure the glider is hydrated. Is he acting different? Have you changed his diet recently?
Question
Aug 12 2014
02:58:19 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
It could be poop or vomit. If it is poop, it is obvious he is having diarrhea, either case is not good, and the color is very abnormal,your glider could be very sick. Again, please take him to a vet ASAP. If you don't know of vet near you, post your location and we could help you find one.

If he is suffering from either diarrhea or vomit he could be dehydrated, glider dehydrate fast, and a dehydrated glider could die from it. You need to take him to a vet so he can administrate liquids. And better examine his nail, and fecals to determine whether he has parasites, infection, or anything else.

Please, the best advice we can give you is to take him to a vet.
Question
Aug 12 2014
02:59:47 PM
Alanotruba99 Joey Visit Alanotruba99's Photo Album 14 Posts
No I havent changed his diet at all, and he is kind acting lazy but I don't feed him bad atleast I don't think so, I give him 15-20 meal worms each night some dried fruit and I keep pellet food always in the cage
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:09:11 PM
I am sorry to say this, but that IS a bad diet.

Mealworms are fatty, and you are feeding him to many, they also don't have a good ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus, which can develop into so many diseases.

Dried fruits, besides having high concentration of sugars, don't provide the water they need. Gliders get most of their liquids from fresh fruits and veggies.

And Pellets should never be their main diet, there is no pelleted diet that can provide the nutrients they need. You need to feed an approved staple diet, that is similar in consistency to the sap from trees.

Having his nail ripped off not too long ago, and now this is indicative that he ca be very sick.

I doubt there is much you can do for him at home (personally I can't think of anything besides trying to force some water into him and keeping his toe from getting infected). Please, do find a vet.
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:13:55 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
I agree with Rusty here. I don't know what it is but your glider needs to go to a vet to be checked ASAP. It looks like vomit or diarrhea. But I have never seen either with my gliders so I do not know. But a vet would. I highly suggest you take your Sugar glider to be seen.

I have been following your posts and you seem to be having a lot of health scares with your gliders. (I really don't want to be the bad guy but) You need to take your glider to the Vets. It is not fair to the glider to be sick and not have medical attention.

Also like Rusty said if you tell us where you are we can help find a vets for you. (and maybe one of us lives near by to help out)

Anyways if your glider has thrown up or has diarrhea they will get dehydrated fast. be sure to have water available for your glider or offer watermelon (in case he doesn't drink anything) I know sometimes my female glider doesn't drink from her bottle but eats (and drinks) the watermelon and gets water from that.
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:22:38 PM
I'm in new port richey Florida close to Tampa right now, I'll be leaving for the vet in about 20minutes waiting for the rain to go down a bit, but I live in ormond beach florida close to Daytona beach and I had no idea that was bad for him!!! That's what the breeder said to feed him.... So I thought it would be good... Please help me come up with a diet for them, the HBW and stuff like that I have no clue how to do.. Is there a way I can contact one on you or even the both? Maybe over the phone or through email?
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:23:57 PM
I also put calcium powder and vitamin booster on his dried fruit and meal worms
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:36:47 PM
I understand, we are not trying to be bashful. You are trying your best, and you were misinformed. I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that you will be taking him to a vet. We are just trying to deal with what's at present, and at the same time provide some info.

As for diets, here is a link to approved diets:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Diet

The HPW is good because is easy to prepare, but it will need to ship, until then, besides providing fresh fruits and veggies, you can give him boiled chicken, baby gerber (without onions or garlic), among other for what is protein intake. Here is the link to the HPW, it comes instructions as to how to prepare it:

www.critterlove.com/food--sides.html

Here is the nutritional info about it:

www.critterlove.com/diet-info.html

Please let us know how he does, and any other questions
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:39:09 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Sorry to say that is an awful diet! While you are at the vet, ask for printouts of some better diets. I used to live in Florida too =) Good luck. You have got to get that diet changed. When I first got my glider she ate fruit and pellets. That KILLS gliders! Feel free to ask any questions, or PM me. Most of the people here would readily help you prepare a diet. Also you can click gliderpedia at the top then click diet, and it lists some of the most widely used ones. 15 mealworms is way way way way too much. They are a treat! 5 a day is my limit. And not every day. Gliders need fruits, veggies, and protein every single night. Varying forms of each! Let us know what happens. Make sure you get pain meds to take home just in case. They are always good to have.

Edited by - astockd1 on Aug 12 2014 03:40:31 PM
Question
Aug 12 2014
03:44:48 PM
If the vet you are taking him to is not very experience with gliders, after this first visit, you can try this I found on Tampa:

www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Vet_Database/North_America/United_States/Florida/Tampa/index.html

Hope everything will be ok.

Question
Aug 12 2014
03:58:05 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
HPW is a good diet to be on (I will be switching to that diet soon) Right now my sugar gliders the BML diet and they are doing fantastic as well as feeding them frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, greenbeans, and this time there are limabeans mixed in that the gliders are loving)
As well as fresh fruits that I freeze I feed them:
-watermelon
-grapes (these are fresh since I get more every week)
-cantaloup
-peaches (on occasion)
-apples
-kiwis
-mixed berries (sometimes)

**this is just what I feed my gliders**

The links that rusty provided are excellent. I would switch to fresh fruits and frozen or fresh veggie immediately and not give so many meal worms to your gliders. they are treats. For protein you can give your glider

-a hard boiled egg
-shrimp (nothing added just steamed shrimp)
-chicken (nothing added just plain and cooked)
-baby food (chicken, turkey)

I hope your vet visit goes well! keep us updated!
Question
Aug 12 2014
04:44:43 PM
My vet visit went okay, the nail is good and it was vomit... He said the diet needs to be changed ASAP before parasite start to form, so you think you guys can all help me figure out the perfect diet for him? It doesn't matter about price as long as he is healthy. It would be best if I could get it emailed if that is something that you guys aren't comfortable doing that is completely okay,
My email is alanotruba99@gmail.com
Question
Aug 12 2014
05:10:41 PM
Glad to hear he is doing better. As for parasites, I don't know if the vet told you, but it'll be best to have another fecal in a couple of weeks, just to completely sure he is clean.

As for diets, there are many good diets out there. It is entirely up to you what you decide to feed your baby, just make sure you study each, and go with the one you feel more comfortable with. Be it because of ease of preparation, because you can find most of the ingredients near you, or because the nutritional value feels right to you. Just make sure is a diet that has proven healthy for glider through the years.

In some previous replies I posted about different diets, and also links to the HPW made by Peggy Breuer from Critter Love.

Hope you find them helpful. Also, ToteMaGoats' suggestions as to what to feed until you get the ingredients for an adequate diet are good.

Wish you luck.
Question
Aug 12 2014
05:25:57 PM
Pandepon Glider Visit Pandepon's Photo Album 112 Posts
20 mealworms per night!? No wonder the poor thing is sick

I feed my female gliders BML and my males HPW currently it Either diet is great.
The BML is more convenient since if you run out you can run to the store while with HPW you have to plan ahead and order some ingredients online.

For HPW the ingredients are:
2 Cups Warm Water
1.5 Cups Honey
3 Scrambled Eggs(can cook in microwave or stovetop)
1/4 Cup High Protein Wombaroo Powder (Increase to 1/2 cup for pregnant/lactating females.)
1 Tablespoon Bee Pollen

1.5 teaspoons should be fed to each glider every night along with 1 tablespoon fruits and 1 tablespoon veggies

For BML's ingredients:
1/2 Cup Honey
1 Egg (hard boiled, scrambled, or microwaved, no shell)
1/4 Cup Apple Juice
One 4oz Bottle Premixed Gerber Juice with Mixed Fruit Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Rep-Cal Herpivite Vitamin Supplement [blue label] (No Substitutions)
2 Teaspoons Rep-Cal Calcium Supplement Non-Phosphorous with Vitamin D3 [pink label] (No Substitutions)
Two 2 1/2 oz. Jars of Chicken Baby Food (Chicken with Broth or Chicken with Gravy)
1/4 Cup Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup Dry Baby Cereal (Mixed or Oatmeal)

One tablespoon of this should be fed to each glider along with 1 table spoon of fruit and 1 tablespoon of veggies

Based on reading you other posts you need to make sure your gliders have SAFE toys and pouches. Only fleece should be aloud in their cages to reduce the chances of their nails getting stuck on anything. Keep their nails trimmed at least once per month, and make sure to keep their cages clean to prevent illness or infections.

Edited by - Pandepon on Aug 12 2014 05:42:07 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders