Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
MY SUGAR GLIDER IS SICK PLEASE HELP
Health related
Aug 19 2014
03:20:19 PM
MY GLIDER, MEEPO has a sore toe that is red in colour on his hind leg. We do not have any vets near us right now so I would love the help from our glider community. After I found out I immediately had a major cage washing. Meepo is still jumping around everywhere and somehow I feel closer to him but I am worried something bad will happen to him. What should I do? If it's about diet I feed him worms and apples/pears every night with glider calcium. Please reply me ASAP.

For now, I will put him in his bonding pouch to try restrict movements and watch it carefully. Thanks for your help
Health related
Aug 19 2014
03:36:20 PM
SirNovak Joey 14 Posts
Hey there,

so it's hard to say without seeing it, but maybe he just twisted his toe? Do you keep his nails trimmed?

I know my girl gets caught on EVERYTHING if I don't trim her nails, and I'm always worried she is gunna hurt herself when I don't.

So maybe he got snagged on something and twisted it or something.

Is the toe swollen at all? Does he seem to be not wanting to walk on that leg?

It's good to keep everything clean though to prevent any kind of infection taking hold on the affected area.

Doesn't sound like a diet issue to me though.

Hope this helps and that the little guy gets better!
Health related
Aug 19 2014
03:44:50 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
I agree with sir. It just sounds like a hurt toe. But I am no vet and can't see what it looks like so im not very sure.

Just be sure to keep the glider's nails trimmed. If the nails get too long then they will get tangled up and injuries can occur.

Just watch to see a change in attitude. If he becomes less active or starts looking bad and dehydrated your glider needs to go to the vets.
Health related
Aug 19 2014
03:50:10 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Agreed, it's hard to tell without seeing it. It is better if there is no broken skin but you will have to keep an eye out for infection. You were right to wash everything.

There are occasions where swollen digits can be a sign of other issues (not injuries) with their health.

A side note, his diet really doesn't sound like it is providing him with what he needs to be healthy...but, first things first. Keep us updated on his injury and post a picture if you can!
Health related
Aug 19 2014
05:04:31 PM
dariustay Joey 10 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies. Made me feel better about everything.

What should I add to the diet? I can't follow all the HPW or whatever as i do not have all the ingredients at where i am living. As for the nails, yes i did not cut them maybe thats why meepo hurt himself. Will cut it immediately when he is asleep. As for a picture, I can't post one just yet. It is just swollen and red as hell, no open wounds.

Thanks for the replies once again :)
Food, Diet
Aug 19 2014
05:14:16 PM
SirNovak Joey 14 Posts
He should have some kind of pelleted food or something.

www.exoticnutrition.com/

This site has lots of different kinds of foods that are packed with everything gliders need for a good rounded out diet. Some of it seems expensive but it actually comes out to very cheap if you consider how long one order will last you.

Be careful cutting his nail on that toe! If it is already hurt than you might do more damage than good, he may also react negatively to you trying to touch that toe and freak out or something. But you know your glider better than I do.

Good luck with little Meepo!
Information
Aug 19 2014
05:45:56 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If the toe is red and swollen - it would be best to have it checked by a vet. he may have just snagged a nail, but he may also have broken his toe or foot. Only a vet would be able to make a diagnosis.

If you cannot locate a vet - keep a very close eye on him. If the toe turns darker - or even black he will absolutely need vet care and possibly amputation of the toe.

DO NOT TRY TO CUT THE NAIL ON THAT TOE UNTIL IT IS NO LONGER RED.

It may heal on its own, but it may also be very painful for your glider. Trying to hold his paw and cut the nail may increase his pain. Unfortunately, some gliders respond to pain by trying to CHEW AWAY the part that hurts. If he begins to bite at the toe - he will need to be put in an E-collar (cone) and be seen by a vet for pain medications.

quote:
If it's about diet I feed him worms and apples/pears every night with glider calcium.

He absolutely needs to be on a better diet. Pellets are not an appropriate source of protein and nutrients for gliders. Their digestive systems are just NOT designed to process hard dry foods as a main source of nutrients.

For now - you need to offer a wide variety of fruits and vegetables each day. He also needs a good source of protein - meal worms are not adequate as a protein source - they are mostly fat. You can offer egg (hard boiled or scrambled no seasonings) or cooked plain chicken as protein until you choose a feeding plan to follow.

I have links on my web page to several widely used glider feeding plans that have a nectar like staple that will provide the protein, vitamins and calcium our glider needs and are fed with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/

Look them over and choose one to prepare for your glider to make sure he gets the nutrients he needs. Sprinkling calcium on foods is more likely to over dose your glider than to give him the correct amount he needs. Choosing a staple that will provide the calcium necessary is the best way to ensure he gets the proper amount.

please ask questions if you need more information of feeding your glider.

Edited by - Candy on Aug 19 2014 05:47:01 PM
Health related
Aug 19 2014
08:09:44 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Probably snagged his nail on some fleece and pulled at his toe. Hopefully it heals up on its own; I keep a little bottle of pain medicine for my gliders just in case they get hurt and we can't get to the vet. I don't know, but just as a note you absolutely need to change his diet regardless. Gliders need fruit, veggie, and protein every single night. Mealworms are not for every day feeding and are not a main component of the diet. Pellets won't help, the glider needs a balanced diet after you do research about what he needs. Good luck!!
Health related
Aug 21 2014
06:53:46 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
You really need to listen to Candy. If you're only feeding what you listed, then your glider is not on a sufficient diet. One of the signs if hind leg paralysis-caused by poor diet and calcium deficiency-is swollen feet or toes. It could just be a snagged nail. But either way, please get your baby on a better diet. I use Judith's modified Ledbetters found on www.mylittlegremlins.com

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Health related
Aug 22 2014
08:47:19 AM
sillydasha Glider GliderMap Visit sillydasha's Photo Album sillydasha's Journal NY, USA 63 Posts
I would suggest carefully inspecting the toe to see if there's a thread or a hair tied around it and constricting blood flow. That's what happened to one of mine. If it turns dark purple you will need to see a vet asap. The toe might have to be amputated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders