Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Do they not like each other?
Question
Sep 02 2014
10:40:13 AM
I am at the introduction stage with my fixed male (Winston) and my female (Totes)
Everything has been done vet check, scent swapping, quarantine, all that

I take the two out (they are still living in separate cages) and they will climb together. where ever one is the other one is there (or looking for them) so sometimes they are on Winston's cage or me. Winston refuses to go on the ground or anywhere else except one of the two cages, me or the lamp pole I have.

Totes is usually the first to climb on Winston and bug him. They start getting into a ball but nothing bad happens (I intervene before they can really do anything) Should I let them get a little into it? They separate really quickly. Or are they not even fighting? Winston will grab Totes' face is that good?

The only time they have really started going at it was when Winston got into Totes' cage and she heard him and ran in and they got into a ball they were holding paws. (like a couple holding hands)I got him out and that was were I ended their play time.

They are really really good in pouches. Usually Winston will climb into Totes' sleeping pouch when I have both of them out during the day for bonding and they are really good.

Should I swap which cage they are in (like Winston goes into Totes' while Totes is in Winston's?) Should I clean their cages more and then let them play so everything is more neutral?

Sorry it is so long! I would just like to know if their behavior is negative or if that is what they are supposed to do. And if it is negative if there is anything I can do to help turn it to a positive.
Question
Sep 02 2014
01:43:47 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
As long as they are not balling up and CRABBING and biting at each other they sound like they are fine together.

They are more likely to act territorial in a cage that only smells like one of them.

If they will sleep together during the day, they should be fine when they wake up in the evening.

I would THOROUGHLY clean the cage you plan for the two of them to share and once they are asleep together put the sleeping pouch (or unzipped bonding pouch if that is what they are in) into the CLEAN cage.

Feed them a little early so there will be food when they wake up. Put the food in several locations so neither glider can keep the other from eating. A dish on the floor, another on a shelf or using a hanging bird dish to put one or two feeding stations on opposite sides of the cage or one up high and one near the middle - any way you can offer foods with some distance between the dishes is fine.

After a few days you will begin to see them share dishes eating peacefully together then you can go back to one dish or dishes all in one location.

Question
Sep 02 2014
02:06:23 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Thank you, Candy! The only noises I have heard from them when they are together is hissing. And that all seems friendly and is usually done when they are looking for each other. I will buy a whole new cage set for them and clean the cage they will share so everything is fresh. Thanks again!
Information
Sep 02 2014
02:32:37 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Yes - it is a friendly sound. Gliders make a long hissing sound followed by a short bark when calling out for other gliders that they know are near by.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders