GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP NEEDED !
HELP NEEDED !
Question
Sep 07 2014
04:28:08 PM
Hi all,

My sugar is about 1 years old and only had him for 3 weeks. The weird thing is starting a few days back. my glider is waking up at 4am and only sleeping after 12pm, and his wake up timing is getting later and later each day. as i post this message, its 5.20AM and he is still not waking up. Is something wrong with him???

Thanks in advance for answering my questions
Question
Sep 07 2014
05:28:55 PM
rubyandcookie Joey Visit rubyandcookie's Photo Album 36 Posts
has he always gotten up this late since you have had him..? and are all the lights off, my one girl wont come out even if it is on dim it has to be ALL the way off for her to come out, if they are and it keeps getting later and later, I suggest taking hime to a vet. also is he on a good diet, a good diet is soooo important for a sugar glider hope this helps! :)
Question
Sep 07 2014
06:26:18 PM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Where is your glider at in your house? An active area? In front of a window? Little things like this will affect it's sleeping patterns...
Question
Sep 07 2014
06:34:09 PM
ceronin12345 Joey Visit ceronin12345's Photo Album 44 Posts
Hi, my cage is located beside my door which is shut most day and away from the window. I normally dim the lights when I am going to sleep. Only this past week he is getting up super late. As we speak now. He is awake but lying in his pouch staring in the blank. Nothing I do can get him out of the pouch and even so, he will just climb back after 30mins or less. I feed him 3 to 4 mealworms a day along with fruits and veggie but he doesn't seem to like apples. :(((( wonder what's wrong with him.
Question
Sep 07 2014
07:48:05 PM
Hi LATEST UPDATES :

As i mentioned my glider was staring into blank in his pouch, he went back to sleep again. which means he is only awake for a few hours maybe 2-3hours within 24hours and he totally didnt have a bite at all while his fruits and veggies are left untouched. OMG is he sick?
Question
Sep 07 2014
10:07:31 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
I feed him 3 to 4 mealworms a day along with fruits and veggie but he doesn't seem to like apples. :(((( wonder what's wrong with him.

Is this ALL you are feeding him? If so he is STARVING.

Are you putting his food in the cage in the evening and leaving it overnight? Gliders generally do not wake up to eat during the day.

As for waking up later each day - that could be due to the lighting in the are of the cage.

Gliders must have light during the daytime - for normal daylight hours. Light during the daytime is required to help regulate the gliders normal internal clock. Usually when th lights are turned off in the evening that is the Glider's cue to wake up - eat and play all night long.

If you are leaving lights on in the room at NIGHT your glider is not likely to come out of his sleeping pouch. What time are you going to sleep yourself? You need to turn the lights OFF not just dim them when you go to sleep. Your glider will not be active if the lights are on at night.

Did your glider have a cagemate before coming to live in your home? If he has been taken away from or otherwise lost his cagemate he may be very depressed and you need to consider getting a second glider as a cage mate for him.

It is also a good idea to have him seen by a glider experienced vet and have fecal testing done to make sure he is healthy and does not have any parasite issues that need to be treated. Check for dehydration - gently pinch the skin on his shoulder - when you let it go the skin should snap back flat. If it stays up like a tent your glider is dehydrated and needs to be seen by a vet immediately unless you can coax him to drink a good amount of water or juice or eat some juicy melon right away.

Now - as for his diet - he must have more than mealworms with the fruits and vegetables. If you have not chosen one of the widely used feeding plans please look at the links on my web page to learn about the various feeding plans that will keep your glider healthy. The feeding plans have recipes for a nectar like staple that will provide the protein, vitamins and calcium your glider requires. The staple is fed with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables each night.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

Question
Sep 07 2014
11:02:28 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Yeah I agree, he is NOT getting the proper nutrients and probably isn't getting enough. Go to the store and get him some plain cooked chicken or turkey immediately. No seasoning, just plain oven roasted. The deli kind is fine or you can get raw chicken and boil it for him. He needs protein! He may not have enough energy to be active. Get him on a good diet and to the vet ASAP. I recommend Original HPW because it is easy and cheap, at least for me. It will take a few days for it to get to you because it has to be ordered online. Try honey as well, but the poor guy needs protein! He very well may be sick.
Question
Sep 07 2014
11:22:03 PM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
I agree with everyone also on the lighting. Mine won't come out if there's any light, not Even if the TV is on. They get annoyed too when this happens, I can tell they want out cause they will fight in their pouch because they're both just sitting there awake. He deffinetly needs darknessat night and lots of protien. A vet check may be in order also. I hope these suggestions help and that's all that is causing the issue.
Question
Sep 07 2014
11:48:17 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Oh yeah, I missed that part. All four of ours won't come out unless it's pitch black.
Question
Sep 08 2014
04:41:13 AM
Ok thank you all. I will try all the suggestions and hopefully it will be a change for the better
Question
Sep 08 2014
10:11:29 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
In an emergency as to his nutrition you may find it easier to have him get some plain full fat yogurt, no artificial sweeteners rather than a solid such as meat. Keep us posted.
Question
Sep 09 2014
05:13:41 PM
Hi all updates, I have kinda gotten my glider to wake up around 5 - 7 pm and he goes to sleep at 6am roughly. He is super active, I let him run around my room for 1 - 2 hours every night but what concerns me is that he is not eating a lot despite what active he is. He totally stops eating apple. I tried putting in lots of different fruits and veggies but he always targets the carrots and mealworms. I am going to try making the BML diet hopefully he eats them and I'm also getting another glider by the end of this month. Should I be concern as to his eating appetite.?
Question
Sep 09 2014
06:44:59 PM
Hi all updates, I have kinda gotten my glider to wake up around 5 - 7 pm and he goes to sleep at 6am roughly. He is super active, I let him run around my room for 1 - 2 hours every night but what concerns me is that he is not eating a lot despite what active he is. He totally stops eating apple. I tried putting in lots of different fruits and veggies but he always targets the carrots and mealworms. I am going to try making the BML diet hopefully he eats them and I'm also getting another glider by the end of this month. Should I be concern as to his eating appetite.?
Question
Sep 09 2014
08:07:50 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I would actually give him the BML mix with the tablespoon of mixed veggie and the tablespoon of fruit and skip everything else...like the meal worms.

If you are feeding him any other treats...I would skip those as well.

Are you giving him plain fresh water to drink?(no gator-aide or glider-aid).

All of these things will fill him up and he won't be hungry for the food you want him to eat.

Once he is eating at night you can bring back the mealies(or other snack like a piece of dried mango or a yoggie) but offer it to him in the morning before he goes to sleep for the day. That way it won't ruin his apatite.

For the apple you can try to cook it lightly in the microwave until it's soft and see if he likes it that way. Most of my gliders don't care for apples unless they are cooked.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Sep 09 2014 08:08:53 PM
HELP NEEDED !

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP NEEDED !