Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Infrared Light and Moonlight
Information
Oct 23 2014
06:49:04 PM
Anyone have any opinions on these lights they sell? I ordered an infrared which should also give off some heat. Any problems with these?

What I really want to know is if they should or shouldn't be left on overnight? I would NOT put it RIGHT up to the cage.

Also whats the difference if any between the red and the moon light?
Information
Oct 24 2014
08:21:06 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I don't know anything about the infrared light/moon light. I could google it but I'm feeling sick and lazy today. The red lights are used, from what I understand, because they don't see the red spectrum and it allows you to be able to see them and interact with them at night without having a white light that usually bothers them so that they aren't as active. I use the red light by their cage if I want to check on them. When they are out in my room for play time, I've found that the glow from the tv doesn't bother them. I have noticed that it's better to stick to movies...drama's without all the action and screen flashing. Also the flashing from all the commercial breaks on tv bothers them. LOL...they're classic film girls like me!
Information
Oct 27 2014
04:27:09 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Thank you for posting this! Our lighting is less than ideal lol we are in an Rv so if one light is on the critters go right to the pouch. But I also like to see what is going on!!

So this weekend we picked up some red Christmas lights just to see if it bothered the gliders before spending more for a decent led light or moonlight. I have a glass jug I put the strand of lights in to contain them and set the jug behind the cage. I used to make something similar with wine bottles for xmas gifts...

The light did not bother them at all we left the lights on all night. The jug was warm to the touch but not hot and 3-4 inches away from the cage so it was out of reach ( my gliders are reachers lol ) The best part was I could see them with out turning on a harsh bright light!!

I haven't tried the moon light but from what I read they can get quite warm and almost used as a heat source for reptiles. So I'm not sure if we will invest in one or not. But we will definately find a more permanent red light source that is a little safer than Christmas lights. I just don't trust them for long term use.

Thanks again! It's soooo nice to watch them with out interrupting them !!
Information
Oct 29 2014
02:04:44 PM
Tidefan73 Starting Member 4 Posts
We've found that the yellow 'bug' bulbs, in lower wattages don't seem to bother ours at all. At first, the room we played with them in had a white light and they were skittish and not very active. Wife tried the yellow bulb, and now we can't control them!!!
Information
Oct 29 2014
02:12:18 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
An infrared emitter for lizards is an absolute no no. It is a heater not a light. Dont use such a thing.

For photography you want an IR LED.

IR is not visible by human eyes and it shouldnt be visible to glider eyes either. Moon light is full spectrum reflected sun light. The difference is simple. It's like the difference of watching TV channel 2 compared to watching all 192 cable channels at once.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders