GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
Simon's first BIG Glide!!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2014
08:52:12 AM
Simon is our 4 year old rescue glider we adopted for Leela's companion
A little history, For 4 long years Simon was alone. Simon never had toys or even a pouch I'm not even sure He had a wheel. His hind quarters seem very narrow compared to his front shoulders. At any rate He made it to our local rescue at the perfect time for Leela. She was starting to show signs of loneliness.

While Simon was at the rescue He was a little stressed. Partially from the "move" and partially from never having been around other gliders. Suddenly he was surrounded by curious, barking gliders He began over grooming and developed 2 large bald spots on the back of his head.

I don't want to write a book here so I will skip ahead to progress and updates Once I realized he didn't like the pouch closed and started leaving it open so he could see, the bonding started to progress. 3 weeks in, his hair started to grow back! around 4 weeks he started getting interested in playing a little bit and got brave enough to try out the wheel. But still preferred to watch leela and her antics from the perch at the top of the cage.

He really didn't even seem to know how to forage, Leela on the other hand is a lil hunter lol She is in charge of opening the easter eggs for treats then Simon emerges to reap the benefits with her lol She shares pretty good now but she was greedy for a couple weeks. Anyway He is now starting to forage on his own :) It really is amazing how much they learn from each other!

Now, the good bit lol Gliding.... For a while we weren't even sure he could glide it was more of a "jump, drop, thud" lol Darrin even calls him the Dropper sometimes. Leela is an expert of gliding and jumping back n forth from me to Darrin. Simon was more of.. if you stand 3 inches away from who ever I'm on I will reach and streeeeeetch to climb to you. Then he gradually started to jump from one to other as long as we were still standing relatively close (No more than a foot apart ).

So last night Simon was on Darrin and Simon got that "look", then his butt started to wiggle. yes, in my head I was singin wiggle wiggle wiggle lol. He was winding up for a Big one! He jumped and flared out and NAILED the landing on the curtain 5-6 feet away!! Simon IS a Glider not a Dropper!! lol I'm not sure who was more shocked Simon or Us lol Then he jumped to me!! like did you seeee that ma?! Lol I was one proud mama!!

He sure has come a long way in a short time!! And the difference in Leela has been incredible too. Her personality has really devolved a lot since Simon joined our lives.

Well It seems I did end up writing a short novel lol But I just wanted to share about our Adventure with Simon and Leela :) Hope yall have a great day, Glide on!

Edited by - Leela on Oct 28 2014 08:53:36 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2014
09:33:00 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Congratulations Simon!

It is amazing how much gliders learn from each other. Just goes to show how solo gliders might appear OK - until they can be observed just blossoming when they have a cage mate to share their life with.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2015
02:58:54 AM
vsJewel Glider Visit vsJewel's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
Thanks for the great story! also don't worry about how much you write it was great to read!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2015
09:51:29 PM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
Congrats Leela! He's come a long way under your care.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2015
10:31:56 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Ty Denparkin did you see their new cage??
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 02 2015
10:14:24 AM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
I just took a look. That is awesome!!! You now have lots of room for more gliders!

I have the easter weekend off so I'll hopefully be sewing a new cage set for my boys, and will post photos if I do.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 03 2015
01:52:35 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I guess I didn't see this forever ago...

Mr. Pip is a "grounder", as Andy calls him. Just the last few times out he has started spending more time on the bed and checking out the book shelf...not the top, yet (where the tree house is!) and not more than the bottom foot of the curtains...but, he is trusting me much more and rides with the girls on my shoulder back to the cage.

Maeve is the princess...hold out your hand a liiiiittttle closer so I can stretch out and reach it. She will glide occasionally, but ONLY if in the mood. Lisle is my Pro. Hit's her mark every time...even if it is my face she's aiming for.
Default, miscellaneous
May 06 2015
12:17:21 AM
britty_s Starting Member Visit britty_s's Photo Album britty_s's Journal 2 Posts
yay! I also have a rescue glider named will that has one missing foot and half a tale. It was very exciting for me when he made his big first glides!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories