Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
More disappointed than sad.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 03 2014
12:21:07 PM
My gliders had their first joeys OOP last week. This morning I found the ring tail mosaic one cold and ignored in the pouch. I tried to warm her up and feed her but she died within minutes. Her sister, Poppy, seems to be doing well. I was looking forward to having 4 gliders in my life and now I'm not sure if I will let them breed again or just get my male neutered soon.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 03 2014
02:16:00 PM
TigerLilly5555 Super Glider Visit TigerLilly5555's Photo Album KS, USA 299 Posts
Soooo sorry!!!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 03 2014
04:24:03 PM
FairyGirl Glider Visit FairyGirl's Photo Album 95 Posts
Dad sat on and killed Poppy..... I guess we are going to have more babies here.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 03 2014
05:10:32 PM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Xoxo :(
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 04 2014
11:05:38 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
FairyGirl, do you have lineages on your breeding pair? I ask because nature has its ways, and sometimes the reason why glider parents kill their joeys is because they sense something inherently wrong with the joeys, not only inexperience. If you don't have lineages, it is possible that the joeys are somewhat inbred and have defects we don't notice.

My recommendation would be to neuter dad if that is the case. The experience of losing joeys is not bad only for us, but also stressing for the parents. If you have lineages, then you could go ahead and try again, many times first time parents can't handle raising joeys the first time, but do better later on; but there are also cases of parents that simply are not willing to raise joeys, if it continues happening it may be better to simply neuter dad.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 04 2014
12:41:26 PM
I have the pair up on The Pet Glider Database and there is a less than 3% inbred rating for the pair of them.

I will give joeys another try and if the next ones don't survive then I will get Dad neutered and maybe get another girl.

I also was an idiot and didn't weigh them so it's possible that Mom was not producing enough milk to feed them. Last night the Mom did a thorough cleaning of her pouch. Both parents were running around just fine this morning. I will make sure to give them plenty of love the next couple weeks and moving them into a bigger cage this weekend. Daddy put on some pregnancy weight eating the extra food.... Give him a chance torun some of it off.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 04 2014
01:47:21 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I am glad to hear that, hope it goes much better next time.

For weighing, you can get a kitchen scale from Walmart for like $20.

Best of lucks!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 04 2014
01:54:48 PM
I have a yarn scale that is accurate to .5 grams.... I guess I was trying not to stress the parents and babies by keeping them away too long..... First time I picked up Dahlia someone released a fear stink. I think it was the baby but could have been the Mom.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 13 2014
07:27:39 AM
I recently weighed my female, she is a very tiny 79.5 grams. I don't think her body could handle feeding 3 for too long. My pair were mating on Sunday so I will be stepping in and helping feed the babies next time. Poor Lily....
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 13 2014
01:58:03 PM
carlygirl91 Super Glider GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit carlygirl91's Photo Album 313 Posts
So sorry she was rejected, Momma probably knew something was wrong with her
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 13 2014
02:38:23 PM
She has twins and they died within 7 hrs of each other. She was taking care of them otherwise. I'll be getting the rejected joey kit the next set and step in to feed them if needed. And no feathers or curly straws for 3 weeks at least. Makes Mom and Dad do nothing but play.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders