Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
glider likes to nibble
glider likes to nibble
Question
Nov 09 2014
12:58:51 AM
I have two gliders a male and a female. The male every time you put you hand in the cage or let me him out on you he likes to nibble at your hand or whatever he can. When he is on you he will bite your ear or whatever. He is not doing it to be mean cause he will let you rub him and everything he just has this nibbling problem. Has anyone had the same problem and if so how did you stop it please let me know. Hope to hear from someone. Thank you.
Question
Nov 09 2014
08:42:36 PM
Rosko and Darko Glider Visit Rosko and Darko's Photo Album Rosko and Darko's Journal 162 Posts
pretty much i learned that they warm up to you the more you play with. I had Darko for a year and he doesn't bite me anymore just nibbles a little bit. He actually lets me pet him now
Question
Nov 10 2014
08:12:07 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, usually there are signs you can see before they try to bite you (first a lick, then a nibble, then a soft bite, then a mortal chomp; besides other, depending on the glider). I know yours is not biting you, but you could make a PSST! sound or a sharp "No", not yelling though; that should let him know you don't want him to do that.

Also, keep in mind that gliders go through a testing with their teeth stage, they will bite/nibble on everything. As I said, this is a stage and usually goes away with time.

Hope this is helpful.
Question
Nov 10 2014
02:30:43 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Our girls like to do more than just nibble-they chew,scrape or whatever you want to call it. Especially my husbands ears.
We got them together from the same breeder at the same time, and he told us they were 6 weeks OOP. We didn't know at the time that was really too young.
So I speculate that one (Cheyenne) is a little bit older than the other, Luna. Cheyenne likes to chew the back of my husbands ears, where the cartilage is. It makes quite a crunch.He can get her to stop by pulling his ear out of her reach by turning his head. But Luna likes to chew the tops of his ears, and take a big chunk out (scrape some skin off). Its harder to get her to stop.

People have suggested he wear headphones, distract them with a treat or a toy, take them out in a less familiar environment: we take them out in a glider-proofed bathroom. We have used the living room and they don't bite out there, but it makes me quite nervous.
They like to chew on me if I wear short sleeves, but that isn't a problem right now since it is getting colder. Supposedly you can imitate a mother glider and go "ch-ch", but it only sometimes works for my husband. Blowing on them sometimes works when they are chewing on my arm, but I don't really like to do it because they say not to do it if they can see you. I sometimes kiss them while they do it, and that works in certain locations on my arm. One thing that seems to work pretty well for me is to put my finger on her nose, she picks up and tries somewhere else, and I put my finger on her nose again. She doesn't like it so she stops.
Question
Nov 10 2014
08:41:59 PM
littlez4k Glider Visit littlez4k's Photo Album 57 Posts
Thank you so much guys for your responses. I'm gonna try all suggested ideas. Thank you so much again.
glider likes to nibble

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
glider likes to nibble