Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Meet my little nugget, Mew!
Pictures
Nov 18 2014
11:01:09 PM
Meet my little boy OOP Halloween! He'll be coming home with me the day after Christmas, and this is the longest wait of my life.

So, what's the consensus, WFB or just a white face?
Pictures
Nov 19 2014
09:08:46 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm having trouble being able to decide with the lighting in the photos. It does seem like an eternity when you're waiting for a new baby!
Pictures
Nov 19 2014
11:25:00 AM
teresaholcroft Glider Visit teresaholcroft's Photo Album USA 88 Posts
So adorable!
Pictures
Nov 19 2014
02:29:18 PM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Due to the lighting it is hard to tell what the verdict is but we know for sure it is a WF due to the lack of ear bars!!! #61514; Congrats on ur little munchkin! Do you have everything ready for Mew to come home?
Pictures
Nov 19 2014
02:31:50 PM
AllieRyan Joey USA 37 Posts
So Adorable!
I'm no expert on coloring, but I did want to say congrats!
Pictures
Nov 19 2014
10:28:18 PM
courtneyparke Glider Visit courtneyparke's Photo Album 53 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm so excited, I just wish he was big enough to come home now haha.

I'm getting there! I'm going and picking up a starting cage tomorrow, it's only L25"x W13.5"x H36" but since he's my first glider, I want to make sure I can always find him in the cage and can reach everywhere easily until we bond, etc. I'm waiting to get him a cagemate until we're a little better acquainted, and I'm upgrading to either the Madagascar or Large Sturdy from sugar-gliders.com. Plus I'm just going to get a joey from his parents' next litter, because I've read some places that it'll probably be easier to introduce them since they're siblings, hopefully. I just don't want to leave him lonely for too long, even though he'll have me I know that's not enough forever.

I think I went a little overboard with cage sets and toys but that just means I'll have more to trade in and out and see what he likes the most! They're just all so cute that I had to buy 30 toys.

I'm gonna give him the HPW plus with the additional diet instructions, I usually have most of the fruits/veggies around here for myself so the little bit of extra won't be bad! I'll have to figure out timing of feeding though, because I get out of work after he'll be awake for a half hour to an hour, so hopefully he doesn't hate me for feeding him a little late!

I got the raptor wheel, after hearing all the horror stories about wodent wheels. Also, got a chinchilla igloo and made a nice little inexpensive kitchen for him to at least reduce some of the mess! Haha.

One question though, I see a lot of gliders like feathers - where do you guys buy safe feathers? I don't want any dyes that could be harmful to him! Thanks!
Pictures
Nov 19 2014
10:34:41 PM
And yeah, in the first couple pictures I had of him, his body was SUPER light, so I thought WFB, but now he's darkening up so maybe just a white face. I mean, I'll love him just as much either way, I'll just have to wait to see in person I suppose!
Pictures
Nov 20 2014
08:23:54 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I know how exciting it is to wait for new babies, and how slow time seems to pass. I was lucky because I could afford going down to where my breeders lived every weekend (which was 1.5 to 2 hours away from where we lived), and had the chance to see and play with my babies.

At the end it is not what they look like that matters, but the bond that you form with them. My breeders run a rescue as well, and though most of the gliders they get are classic grey, they are each so unique.

Anyways, congratulation on the new baby, he is a beauty!
Pictures
Nov 21 2014
08:09:43 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
you can buy cat toys with feathers (AVOID TOYS WITH CATNIP AT ALL COST PLEASE!!!)

or you can make ur own toys and what not...

Also a friend of mine uses thick strips of leather and places them ontop of the cage and in the morning they have stuffed them in the pouch lol

ha ha ha i love gliders!!!

Pictures
Nov 21 2014
10:21:05 AM
Hey! I know that friend! I tie little bracelets and wiffle balls and hang them from the top of the cage with it too. Every morning I enjoy checking to see if they managed to get the item into their pouch (looks hilarious because it's still attached by the strip to the top of the cage) or if they got it all tangled around other toys. This morning the strip attached to the ball is hooked and wrapped around a baby chain several times. I'll bet they were frustrated!

With your first gliders it's impossible to know what all to expect and you'll have plenty of scenarios playing in your head about how it will go. Trying to find him in the cage and being able to reach isn't anything to worry about. It's probably too late to mention (you said you were getting your cage today), but a starter cage is really a waste of money. You're going to find that you'll need and want the larger one as soon as possible.

Also, he won't know that your next joey is his sibling. If you were to get two that were raised together as siblings, it would be different (I have a set of sisters that have always been together). Your introductions with the two will need to be the same as with any other glider introductions.

As for your thoughts on feeding time. Most gliders have a slightly different sleeping pattern (given that they have adequate lighting/darkness). He may be an early or later riser so you'll figure that out. They don't like to wake up to no food. I hesitate to say to use a good quality pellet to leave in the cage during the day because of all the controversy and issues surrounding pellets. I have no use for them, but some gliders do wake up for a little snack during the day and people have found that a pellet is an ok choice in this instance because it doesn't spoil like leaving fresh food out for the day. Priscilla Price offers a cereal pellet on her website for this purpose.

As said...you'll figure it out as you get acquainted with him. And there are always plenty of folks here happy to answer your questions.
Pictures
Nov 21 2014
10:29:10 AM
Keep rethinking some things...

Other than using a pellet, a little dried fruit, a couple yogis, etc. hidden in the cage while he is asleep could also give him something to do while waiting for his normal feeding as soon as you get home.

Make sure to consider the sex of your next joey. An intact male will mate with his sister (mother, aunt, etc...) which is obviously not a good scenario. You may know all this but, I'm just tossing stuff off the top of my head. Food for thought during your LONG wait!
Pictures
Nov 21 2014
11:02:12 AM
Otterun Super Glider Visit Otterun's Photo Album USA 232 Posts
Congratulations on the new baby! I love seeing them when they're that young. Older gliders always look slightly manic with their big eyes and babies look so mellow by comparison! XD
Pictures
Nov 22 2014
12:30:31 AM
Yeah, I mean I wanted a second cage anyways for introducing the cagemate later, and it's adequate height and width, I just wish it was a couple inches deeper. But I have a bunch of toys/cage things now, but I'm sure I'm going to just keep buying them and accumulate them as I go, so maybe a tad bit smaller cage will get him used to his new surroundings and toys and such and then when I get a cagemate, I'm going to get a huge cage But I like having a smaller second one anyways so cage cleaning, etc, I can put them in there. Or even taking them with me when I visit my parents, and not having to lug their huge cage or keep them in a tiny travel one - it will get used somehow! haha

I also thought about the sex of the next, I want to get him a female cagemate because even though I'm getting Mew neutered a couple weeks after I get him, I don't want to have to worry about males getting territorial or aggressive I guess, even if it's unwarranted! Quick question, when is it ideal to get them neutered? I don't want to take him too soon and have him associate me with that pain and hate me or something!

Yeah, along with his staple I'm going to stock up on dried fruits so I was thinking maybe when I leave for work I can leave a little bit of that in his foraging toys or hiding places so he isn't starving and has something to entertain him until I can get home and feed him the rest of it. I'll make sure to leave the night's worth in the fridge while I'm at work, so at least it's not frozen and needing to thaw still when I get home.
Pictures
Nov 22 2014
09:28:41 AM
The boys becoming sexually mature can vary but a rule of thumb is around 3 months. A good vet will give you the best advice on when to neuter him due to things related to you specific little guy such as weight, etc. I'd say an average is around 4 months for those who want to go ahead and get it done.

When I go back and look at your cage dimensions I realize you didn't really mean 'stater cage' that I was picturing. Some folks start off with tiny cages that make no sense. And it's always good to have a second cage for all the reasons you mentioned.

I think you've been thinking over everything very well. Your plan to have his cage set with foraging things so that you can buy a little time for him before you're able to get home and feed him is a good idea.
Pictures
Nov 22 2014
10:26:09 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Dried fruits are OK for leaving in small amounts in foraging cups in case he is hungry before you serve his dinner.

His meal should include fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables rather than dried because gliders get most of their fluid needs met through the juicy foods they eat each night.

You do not need to thaw their staple before putting it in the cage. Frozen staples melt very quickly and gliders will eat it as it thaws along with the fruits and veggies on the plate each night.

They will get used to their 'dinner time' even if it is later than most of us feed our gliders.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders