Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help?
Help?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2014
10:16:12 PM
I am completely new to this website, so please excuse me I do not know any of the rules and if this isn't allowed...

One of my sugar gliders got caught in her pouch and as result is suffering from complete loss of blood circulation in her right back foot, the vet confirmed she does have gangrene and we one of two choices:
euthanize or amputate (which costs around 800-1000). My school nor I have the funds for this, as I ask of any one here is please share the gofundme page to get the word out before we are forced to euthanize her.

Error, missing URL. w
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2014
10:17:22 PM
nikkileelee Starting Member 4 Posts
Do NOT have the funds***************************
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2014
10:18:38 PM
Oh my I am terrible at this site!

http://www.gofundme.com/ih4qzw
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2014
11:27:13 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
It SHOULD NOT cost that much to sedate her and amputate. You should be consulting all the vets within a couple hours of you until you find one that is affordable. Some vets are just really expensive. KEEP TRYING, do not give up on her; gangrene spreads quick, I'm surprised you can even wait. If it spreads to her torso she's dead anyway. Good luck.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2014
11:29:41 PM
Also, how is she cared for? In the gofundme it says that you can only see her on Saturdays? Who feeds her and cleans her cage and plays with her every day? Does she have a cage-mate? I've never heard of a glider being kept as a school pet...
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 09 2014
10:54:40 AM
glidergranny Joey 22 Posts
What school would have a school pet tht is only cared for on a saturday?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 09 2014
12:25:23 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
After checking the gofundme page that was linked I looked up some exotic vets in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I was able to be put through to a vet who was familiar with the case, although the vet who is taking care of this glider is at another office (they consulted). A price was not quoted over the phone, as this wasn't her client, however she did give the name of the vet (Strauss) and was sure that this is the glider. The specifics of it being a school pet, etc. are too specific to be a coincidence.

Just an FYI. It seems legit as far as I can tell, however the price is high. It might be due to the location (Broward County).
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 09 2014
03:41:37 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I think this glider and the others need to be removed from the "science project" and re-homed in a better suited environment with proper care and treatment.

Edited by - TJones09 on Dec 09 2014 03:43:16 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 09 2014
03:47:44 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
^ Absolutely
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 09 2014
03:57:54 PM
Good research skills, Blue!

Yeah, glider are absolutely not ideal for being school pets; it isn't right unless she is in a pair (gliders should not be alone, they need to be in groups or they become depressed) and is being fed a very good diet, and being played with almost every day.

I used to live in Palm Beach County which is only 30 mins from Ft Lauderdale and there are a few vets that are not this expensive. Look into palm beach, broward, and miami-dade counties. Don't just assume one vet's price is the only price any vet will have. You have to act quickly with gangrene. Please don't sacrifice this poor glider's life for something like this. Or try to re-home her, at least a few people on this website live in the south florida area.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 09 2014
04:19:57 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
quote:
I think this glider and the others need to be removed from the "science project" and re-homed in a better suited environment with proper care and treatment.

This ^ and...
The class/school should be EDUCATING students and non students about researching animals before bringing them home as pets or to school for "projects"! Pretty Irresponsible of the teacher and or the owner of these gliders to allow this is the first place.

I realize there isn't time for the class to organize a local fundraiser to help this particular glider. However, they should in good conscious have a fundraiser to help raise funds and educate people on the needs of gliders/other pets.... and donate the proceeds to a rescue or shelter for others in need. How bout that for a class "project"?

Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2014
01:50:59 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
There's something that I don't understand, the vet system might be different here and there, but over here vet don't let animals wait during days in such cases, they give the choice between euthanasing and operating but they don't wait people to have the money to operate, they do and you pay afterwards, in 10 or 20 times if needed.
Such deals do not exist over there?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2014
03:27:03 PM
Is there an update on how this little glider is doing? Any surgery scheduled as of yet? What medical care is being done for the poor thing? This should be treated as an emergency!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2014
08:18:18 PM
For the People that assume that the suggies are "Projects":
The gliders are not a "science fair" project. They are actually well taken care of 6/7 days a week and handled for hours at a time. They are part of a animal science / horticulture program where we take care of animals of all sorts. We've had each of our gliders, excluding a new joey, for 6 years +, all being raised at the school. Also only trained, well knowledge students can take care of any animal, no one who is untrained or does not know a single thing about any animal, including the suggies, can take care of the animal. I am sorry for any misunderstanding but what you read was untrue that they are only taken care one day a week when they are taken care of 6 out of 7 and taken home on long holiday breaks. Saturday is the only day of the WEEKEND (Saturday & Sunday) where the students can come in and feed , clean, etc and give them the necessary food and care for Sunday and Saturday until Monday. This was treated as an emergency where students left school early and rushed around for any vet that will take them or was open. The fundme was to be another way to raise money if that was the only option available after we got a second opinion, which we did.

For the people that actually care:
Luckily Panda, was given the amputation for free of charge and is now resting at home peacefully with all proper medications as well and the Vet who was able to give the amputation for free completely discredited everything the vet who saw Panda saying that we in it for the money.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2014
08:36:07 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I think everybody cares here and I for one am glad the glider was taken care of and is recuperating. It's because people care that they get so upset when they think an animal isn't being taken care of properly.

Just in the future especially when asking for financial help from strangers (no matter what forum you are using) giving partial details won't likely gain much help. The more details you provide the more help you may receive.

Had you provided this new information to begin with and been more specific it may have made a difference to how some of the people responded (myself included )rather than jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps you can convert your gofundme into donations for veterinary needs that these animals may need in the future. So you already have the funds available if one of them needs vet care in an Emergency like this. Make it an account that can pass from your class to the next so it can keep going.

Secondly maybe discuss putting night security cams in the room the animals are housed in so when no one is there Sat night until Monday you can still keep an eye on them and know they are ok.... security cams aren't that expensive anymore or complicated to set up. Some even have apps so you can use your cell phone to monitor whats going on at night. Just a thought.

Edited by - Leela on Dec 10 2014 08:45:36 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2014
09:06:38 PM
I agree with Leela. You really left a lot of details out, and a lot to speculate. I didn't mean to be offensive, but it was actual concern that led me to make the statements I made. The conditions the sugar gliders are kept in as well as their care schedule and the circumstances the school has them for were not explained.

I do care as well, and am so very glad to hear that this little glider is doing well and that a vet has taken care of her, and free of charge!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2014
11:32:31 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I am glad the glider has had the needed vet care and is recovering.

quote:
Saturday is the only day of the WEEKEND (Saturday & Sunday) where the students can come in and feed , clean, etc and give them the necessary food and care for Sunday and Saturday until Monday.

This seems to be an extended period of time when NO ONE is there to observe the gliders - or provide FRESH FOOD ON SUNDAY. It appears that better arrangements need to be made for the care of the animals that are kept at the school.

The gliders are also not given the opportunity to interact with their human care takers when the gliders are actually awake and active which is the BEST time to actually observe the behavior of sugar gliders since they are nocturnal animals.

This is EXACTLY the reason Sugar Gliders are not recommended as school pets. If gliders are going to suffer an injury or show signs of illness is will most likely happen at night when you would expect them to be active.

If the caretakers were able to observe the gliders DAILY this injury could have been prevented - or at least the glider could have been freed from the entanglement in a more timely fashion before it caused a severe injury. This is just poor care and very sad for the gliders.
Help?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help?