Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant glider? HELP!
Pregnant glider? HELP!
Question
Dec 09 2014
06:46:03 PM
I adopted a female sugar glider that was oop May 2014, well I've noticed that her belly looks "chubby." I've had pregnant gliders before but it's been a few years so I'm not sure if she is or not by just looking at her belly. She was housed with males before I got her so could there be a possibility? She is still young so that's why I'm doubting it but she is acting strange. She's always licking her stomach and pouch, I don't want to check her pouch though because I don't want to harm her or a possible Joey. My main question is, do you think with her wing so young that she could be pregnant?
Question
Dec 09 2014
07:35:36 PM
Tinkdarling13 Glider GliderMap Visit Tinkdarling13's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
I would think she is certainly old enough and having been housed with males it is very likely. That also does sound like pregnant behavior . Best of Luck with the new babies !
Question
Dec 09 2014
07:36:46 PM
LoveMySugarBabies Joey Visit LoveMySugarBabies's Photo Album 13 Posts
Thank you. I wasn't sure if she was too young or not
Question
Dec 09 2014
07:46:59 PM
Tinkdarling13 Glider GliderMap Visit Tinkdarling13's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
When in April was she oop ? They can become pregnant at 7 months , so ESP if she was oop beginning of the month. Don't forget if she has a boy he will mate with mom once old enough. And make sure she is on a good diet.

Edited by - Tinkdarling13 on Dec 09 2014 07:51:19 PM
Question
Dec 09 2014
07:57:23 PM
I was told she was oop on May 15th 2014
Question
Dec 09 2014
08:38:43 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Technically females can possibly get pregnant as early at 4 months, so yes, it is possible. But I'm not sure, the internet doesn't have a lot about when females can get preg; it might be 7 months earliest, in which case it's unlikely she's preg but possible. When did you adopt her? If she was with unneutered males any time after 4 months oop, it is possible. At 7 months oop, if she is pregnant then it's kinda concerning. Females aren't ready to be moms until about a year, and it's super risky on its own, PLUS without a father? It'll be rough, so I hope she isn't for your sake. Joeys will look like lumps. If it looks like chub, it is probably chub. Joeys are distinct lumps; give it a few weeks if it doesn't look more lump-like it probably isn't kids. But ya never know!

Edited by - astockd1 on Dec 09 2014 08:40:16 PM
Question
Dec 09 2014
09:09:31 PM
I adopted her 3 days ago. I talked to the breeder and he said she was housed with males, so that's why I was wondering. I don't necessarily want to deal with any babies, so I'm hoping she isn't pregnant, but I was just wondering if she could even get pregnant at such a young age. I always thought they had to be around 7-8 months to hit sexual maturity, and breeding before they're a year isn't really that safe. So I'm hoping she isn't, but she is acting strange, cleaning and licking her pouch and she has a lumpiness to her belly. It looks like a peanut sized ball poking out.
Question
Dec 09 2014
09:29:30 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Did you ask the person you got her from if the males that she was housed with were all intact or neutered? Most people with multiple males will neuter them to prevent fighting, especially if there is a female housed with them.
Question
Dec 09 2014
09:40:51 PM
He said she was with unaltered males. I don't understand why they would keep their male and females together but I texted him yesterday asking (that's when I noticed all of this) and he said she was caged with a colony and the males we're not fixed.
Information
Dec 09 2014
09:51:34 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You may also want to ask the previous owner (I would not call him a responsible breeder) what relationships the males have to your glider. Chances are she was with a family colony with her father and perhaps brothers as well.

Pregnant glider? HELP!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant glider? HELP!