GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding?
Bonding?
Behavior
Jan 12 2015
04:45:49 PM
Hi!

I have two sugar gliders, a male and a female. I have had them both for about 5 months and they are around 7 months old. I just wanted to ask how my bonding process is going for me:

1) When I open the cage, they get excited and run towards me. They easily take food out of my hand and I can pet them with no fear of biting while they eat. Sometimes they get over excited (especially when I have mealworms) and will nip, but never in aggression. They sometimes are nervous if I move really quickly and will jump away but come back quickly.

2) I use to reach in the pouch when they were younger to take them out, but I've grown a little more afraid of it now. Sometimes they crab if I touch the pouch. Not always, but sometimes. How should I go about starting to do this again?

3) If I hold them still in my hand, like grab them for too long, they will bite. It's hard, but never breaks the skin. How can stop this behavior? Or is it normal?

4) I use to bra train with them and they would be asleep in there for hours at a time. I haven't done it in a while, but do you think it would be ok to start up again?

5) I think they like me. When I let them out after glider-proofing my room, they will run to me when I call them (mostly.) They have the whole room to explore but always come back to me to check up. They let me pet them with no problem. I can pick them up no problem. How long do you think until they stop with the nipping/biting completely? Thanks for reading this!!!
Behavior
Jan 12 2015
05:40:45 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Sounds like you are doing great with your babies. I'm jealous!
Behavior
Jan 12 2015
07:27:00 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I agree, sounds like your doing great [:D

You can start getting them used to your hands again by giving them treats while they're in the pouch during bonding bag time.

You can also "flip" them out of the pouch by cupping your hand underneath them on the outside of the pouch then carefully pull the pouch down around the hand your cupping them with. Pretty much turning the pouch inside out with them still inside it. This gives you access while they are still "tucked" into the pocket of the pouch that your holding, and gives them the ability to see whats going on. This worked really well with my male who was pretty pouch protective.

Try not to be afraid, they will sense it and try to use it to their advantage.

Most gliders don't like to be held for long, if at all, especially if awake or at night. I'd imagine they get to warm when being held to long in your hand too, a gentle bite is a pretty normal way to say I've had enough now.

Maybe try not holding them until they bite, let them go a little sooner and see if that helps. You can also try the PPPPSSSSTTTT sound when you see them getting ready to bite to tell them it's not ok to do that. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I don't see why you couldn't resume bra training again, the worst that can happen is they don't want to stay in your bra . My female pretty much chooses where she wants to be on me sometimes it's my bra sometimes its my sleeve. My male prefers my bra with the stipulation that he is in a small pouch, he doesn't really like being next to my skin like Leela does.

Some gliders have a "biting stage" it's like the terrible two's for toddlers Your gliders may have reached that stage. Try offering things they can bite like drinking straws or a honey stick for a treat, things that won't hurt them but they can sink their teeth into. It may help a little bit, but they may just want a taste of you anyways, they maybe expecting a treat.

Do you use scented hand soap or lotion or anything that might smell like they should taste it??
Behavior
Jan 12 2015
07:42:09 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I agree, sounds like things are going great in your relationship.

Glider's do not like to be held onto. Some gliders will let you hold them if they're sleepy, but usually not awake. It's instinctive fear of predators that causes that, and they will be prone to bite or nip if they don't like it. Overtime, they may allow for very short durations. My Skadoosh will nip me if I hold her in my hands, but if I scoop her up to move her to another location and not holding for long, she will usually forgo the nip. My other two Ollie and Lulu may be more nippy.

My gliders, as many will crab while sleeping is being disturbed. Some gliders can or will sleep through removing the pouch or even removing them (as of read of a few cases of such) but it's normal for crabbing when you disturb their slumber, they generally do not like that. To get back to placing your hand in the pouch to retrieve them, I recommend first holding the pouch and gently rub the outside and softly speak or shush to them and wait for them to calm down, you may even begin to hear contentment noises from them, but not always. Then, place your hand in the pouch as a fist and wait for reaction, gently begin rubbing on them. If you feel you can at this point pick them up, then try, but I think a few attempts of just using your fist to rub, then gradually start opening your hand and "hug" them inside the pouch for a while to really get them comfortable with your hand. This is the stage I'm on, it takes a while for me, because I do not stick with it as I should.

Overall, biting and nipping will decrease, and maybe some cases not occur but for extreme circumstances. However the case goes by glider to glider as they all have different personalities and temperaments. My Lulu was a fierce biter, from fear and bit very hard, even drawing blood. Over time she bite less often and it's less severe. She was down to an "I don't like that" nip like Skadoosh has always been. Then we moved and my living arrangements caused a disruption on out of cage play. There has been a little set back in our relationship since. It is taking time and trying to get out of cage play going again that is beginning to improve, but since I moved again, I am having the same situation until I get more settled in and can set up their tent. It sounds like you can see the trust growing during your out of cage play with yours, it's important so try to stick with it best you can.

As for the bra, I haven't experienced that, but I've read where gliders that have gotten used to it will take to it easily. I think if you just take them while their sleepy and tuck them in, they will take back to it.

Otherwise, it really seams that you have developed quite a trusting relationship so far and that is what bonding is. Just keep up and restart what you are and were doing and you will see it grow and grow. Take the restarting easy, see how they react and do not go faster than they're ready for, they'll let you know. They may still give a nip once bonded for various reasons, but they'll have a reason and it's usually just to let you know they do not like something you are doing, react accordingly in these situations and they'll know you respect them.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 05 2015
02:31:11 PM
marissamo22 Starting Member 2 Posts
I have a pair of Gliders that are about 11 weeks old. They are brother and sister. I have had them about 3 weeks. When I first got them they wouldn't even let me hold the pouch without crabbing. Now during the day they let me cuddle them in my hand in the pouch and pet them as much as I want. I wear them almost everywhere I go. My problem, however, is at night time. They get really nervous anytime I take them out of the cage. They squirm out of my hand and run to my back where I can't reach them. Or try to jump away onto anything thats nearby. If I try to hold them in my hand they nip me. They don't bite hard or hurt but I can tell they are irritated with me. Should I just be persistent even though they are annoyed and stressed when I hold them?
Behavior
Apr 05 2015
04:11:59 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Marissamo-
Most gliders don't like to be held in your hand. They like to climb on you, instead. I would say do not try to hold them but let them jump and climb on you- that's how they play! (Make sure the area you're using for play is glider safe) when I want to pick my gliders up I usually scoop under them and let them run up my arm, but I don't hold them in my hand. That's just how gliders are!
Behavior
Apr 05 2015
06:38:52 PM
marissamo22 Starting Member 2 Posts
Kferg - Thanks for the help, I didn't know that. I have a tent that I just got that I want to do tent time with. I've only done it once so far and they were too scared to go anywhere except my shoulder. But I'm gonna try again tonight.
Behavior
Apr 05 2015
07:12:47 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
You're welcome! My gliders always sat on my back when I was getting to know them and they were still scared. The key is patience...just wait and let them explore you and they will learn to trust you! It takes time but it's worth it!
Have fun with tent time! Put a blanket on the floor of the tent to make it nicer for the gliders to run on. Keep a pouch handy to transport them back to the cage when done. Tissues and/or wet wipes help too! When I started tent time with Fionn it took him more than 30 minutes to work up the courage to come out of the pouch the first time. He always curls up in my hood to sleep (I wear hoodies for pjs) when he's done. Don't forget to bring some treats too! Have fun!

Edited by - Kferg on Apr 05 2015 07:18:04 PM
Bonding?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding?