Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New owner
New owner
Question
Jan 14 2015
12:14:21 AM
Hello all, just recently bought a female sugar glider names Chloe, she is, from what I know, completely bonded with me. I think. Anyways, I noticed she is missing a little bit of hair above her eyes, and I've read and learned about the affects of self grooming. But my question is, if I play with her for every day, and even have her run around freely when I'm with her, does she need a mate? Is she stressed or lonely? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am new here. Thank you all!
Information
Jan 14 2015
07:49:38 AM
Kuzco2014 Joey 12 Posts
First welcome to the forum and sugar glider parebthood!!
Yes your sugar glider will be needing a cage mate. Although you spend time with her and play with her that cannot replace the companionship of having a fellow sugar glider in the cage with her.
Question
Jan 14 2015
07:54:34 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Congrats on your new fuzzbutt

And yes she probably needs a cage mate. No matter how much time you spend with her you can not replace a friend of her own kind. You can not curl up in the pouch with her or snuggle or play like another glider can.

They are colony animals and need interaction with another glider to really thrive and be happy. I can't stress enough how much a cage mate can help a single glider!

But keep in mind it's not always an instant fix. There is a suggested 30 day quarantine process before you should introduce your gliders. So if your already seeing signs that she is stressed and lonely you maybe in for a worrying couple of months.

A few questions for you.
how big is her cage
does she have a glider safe wheel in her cage
are there any toys in her cage to keep her stimulated
how old is she

Question
Jan 17 2015
02:02:52 PM
Kayman181 Starting Member 5 Posts
She came with a bird cade, Ide say a standard size, she's 8 months, I've been watching her closely and she doesn't seem stressed, just dying for attention, whenever she's awake and playful. We are in the process of getting her a wheel. What other toys are good an safe for her?
Question
Jan 17 2015
07:08:18 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Standard bird cages are pretty small, usually to small for gliders. My cage which is comfortable for 2 gliders is 36 inches high x 22 inches deep x 33 inches wide.
You probably need to upgrade her cage size especially if she is doing repetitive circles, those are stress circles and usually happens when a single glider is lonely and bored. She really needs a bigger cage and a cage mate.

In the meantime you also want to really should look over the cage she is currently in and check for any rust spots or erosion. Gliders tend to slide down the bars and erosion/rust can do some damage to their feet.

Make sure the wheel is glider safe, hamster/rodent wheels or wheels with a bar through them are not safe for gliders. Wodent wheels are also not safe and have been the cause of broken tails and even glider deaths.

These are glider safe
http://www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/shop-for-wheels.html

And so are stealth wheels I think there is another one but I can't remember the name of it.

A wheel is pretty important for them and may help alleviate the over grooming, but it may not completely resolve the fact that she is lonely and needs a cage mate.

As for toys there is sooo much you can do for very little cash. There are things you may already have around the house that are glider safe. Drinking straws ( you can also put yogurt or applesauce or honey in the ends of the straws for treats just make sure to toss them out in the morning )

braided fleece vines for her to Undo, a clean cool whip or sour cream container with a 2 inch hole cut in the lid or side of the container, Pompom's for a ball pit, pingpong balls, plastic easter eggs for foraging treats, tooth brush protector for foraging treats, cat toys that are cat nip free cat nip is toxic to gliders, crafting feathers we got a feather boa at the dollar store mine just love!! plastic caps from soda bottles or milk jugs, the big plastic ring from mayonnaise containers are a favorite here lol.

* If using plastic rings from other types of bottles or jars make sure the ring is big enough it won't get stuck on their neck or small enough their head won't fit through it*.

Then of course there are toddler toys, plastic tractors and cars that they can fit in. Make sure any holes or hiding spots are big enough they won't get stuck.

Try to avoid wooden toys and painted wooden toys, wood absorbs urine and is impossible to keep clean, paint or stain can run off even bird toys when they get wet. Most people also avoid toys with metal chains or hardware, some metal has a reaction to glider pee.

I have a picture folder of all the toys I've made, mostly from stuff I already had around the house if you want to look there for ideas please feel free.

Question
Jan 20 2015
02:02:40 AM
Ok thank you! I have a dog kennel I'm trying to convert into a bigger cage for her right now. I also got a glider safe stealth wheele. No bars. Is there anyway to find gliders for sale in my area rather than craigslist? Thanks again for your help!
Question
Jan 20 2015
07:35:43 AM
I guess a dog kennel would be ok for a temp cage but gliders can get out of cages with bars that have a gap bigger than 1/2 inch. Altering a kennel is going to make it very difficult to keep clean. And depending on the metal the kennel is made of it could have a reaction to the glider pee.

You can also find instructions for making pvc and mesh cages but when looking into that route I would have spent about the same money as I did for my brisbane cage to get all the supplies to make one.

You'l want to steer clear of wood framed cages as well, wood absorbs urine and can't be sanitized.

What area are you from?

Question
Jan 20 2015
09:33:45 AM
Toledo ohio area
Question
Jan 20 2015
10:15:43 AM
And I will stay clear of the kennel idea then. I'll invest in a bigger cage. But yes I am from the toledo, Ohio area
New owner

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New owner