Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP!!!new to this and 4 new babies
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:01:58 PM
I'm am now just getting the hang of this so pleas bare with me... my ? are a few but will ask separately.... 1st question is I got my 1st baby a few months ago and I absolutely love him and when I first got him I notice he was always scared never really played unless we (me and my family) are out of the room... and when it came to me trying to bond with him he crab and try to bite which led me to believe that his former owner never spent time with him so it been a very slow process for him to finally even let me touch him or put my hand in the cage.. anyway we decided that maybe what he needed is a companion and I ended up getting 3 new babies 2girls and another boy... (let me just say the difference u can see when someone actually cares for them is unbelievable) ... anyways it wasn't what I expected... I introduced the girl to him and they (all) didn't seem to mind each other girls where playing and everything seems fine between them but he still won't play or try to interact with them other then just to be in his corner and ignore everyone so I put him in his bonding pouch and just sat with him and bonded. I tried the same thing with the other boy to introduce him but king (new boy) just went after flash (the lonely 1) an all flash did was go to his corner and looked scare I took king out as son as I saw his aggression and put him back with the other girls... king and the girls are in one cage as flash is in another one and both cages are right next to each other. I've switch pouches and a few other things just so all there scent will be in both cages to see if that helps is there anything else I can do to help him bond with everyone. he seem so depress and sad well at least when I'm in the room and compared to the others who play and interact with us and love to play.... it makes me sad... he eats good and drinks fine or is it just me? Idk is this normal behavior for a lonely suggie?

Edited by - JosieGee on Mar 18 2015 05:09:31 PM
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:47:19 PM
meganp1130 Joey Visit meganp1130's Photo Album 31 Posts
Are the boys neutered? How old are they? It sounds like King us trying to dominate Flash. Neutering them both could help but you don't want to do it when they're too young either. Also make sure you're introducing then in neutral territory during the day so that they're kind of drowsy and not as territorial. Bathtubs are very commonly used since it's easy to grab them if a fight breaks out. Only introduce them one at a time so that Flash is less threatened.

Edited by - meganp1130 on Mar 18 2015 05:48:44 PM
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:57:31 PM
JosieGee Starting Member 5 Posts
King is a year an a half and flash I was told he was 8months old when I got him but he seems so much bigger then king, compared to flash size , king is a baby.... an no they aren't neutered and I did the bathtub thing which is why I was able to grab king before he even tried attacking flash and it's only king crabbing at flash never the other way I want to look in to a vet that specializes or at least knows about sugar gliders before I take them to just any vet
Question
Mar 18 2015
08:32:33 PM
meganp1130 Joey Visit meganp1130's Photo Album 31 Posts
Here's a link to help you find a vet in your area . I would definitely get them both neutered ASAP. Especially since you have the girls. Both boys will end up breeding with the girls and then you'll have an overload of gliders and all the risks that comes with it (including joey robbing and cannibalism if you expose them to the current situation). Even if the boys don't seem interested now, the girls will go into heat and next thing you know, you'll have babies. Gliders reach sexual maturity at about 1 year old so King is definitely old enough to go after the girls, Flash is getting there if he isn't already. The neuter will also help moderate King's temperament so that he's more likely to get along with Flash. Just keep in mind that it will take some time for his hormones to wear off; it won't be an overnight change.
Question
Mar 18 2015
08:37:49 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
males can reach sexual maturity as early as 4 months old, not a year.

Females aren't physically ready to breed until they are 1 year old. Their bodies just aren't ready for it until then, but that won't stop them from breeding and becoming mothers way to early. Which can lead to rejected babies and cannibalism as well.
Question
Mar 18 2015
09:23:52 PM
Thanks for the info king and both girls coco and Lila are over a year when I got them previous owner said she wasn't sure if one or both girls are pregnant but I only see o e that I'm thinking might be because I can see her pouch not like the other girl which I can't see anything I for sure don't want more babies so definitely will be looking for vets near by
Information
Mar 18 2015
11:42:44 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Neutering both males should definitely be a priority BEFORE any more attempts at introductions.

If you think one of the females may already be carrying joeys, I would leave her with King and keep the two of them separated from the others until the joeys are at least 8 weeks OOP.

I would introduce the other female (hopefully she is not also carrying joeys) to Flash to be his cage mate AFTER HE HAS BEEN NEUTERED.

You would have two cages to maintain for a while but if you think there are already joeys on the way, introductions could be very stressful for the mom and you risk the loss of the joeys by doing introductions now.

Keep in mind that any male joeys will also need to be neutered before they are 4 months OOP to prevent inbreeding with their mother or sister.

Question
Mar 19 2015
12:22:05 AM
Will do definitely! I'm doing as much research as possible for whatever out come that might come my way I didn't find out about the girls maybe been pregnant till after I got them so I'm preparing my self for "just in case" because I don't want nothing to happen to mom or baby/babies I'm home all day everyday so I spending as much time with all of them as I can and plus I'm up when they are up..

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders