Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
snacks
snacks
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2015
06:48:13 AM
im about to get a sugar glider, and i was wondering when you guys feed them snacks. and also, how many snacks?
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2015
08:38:14 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Gliders primarily eat at night when they are awake and active. Most do not get up during the daytime for "snacks" but some owners do leave a few pieces of a dry pellet glider food in the cage for their gliders.

Treats can be offered but should be in small amounts. Many folks use yogies as treats. My gliders like pine nuts as well. You can also hand feed pieces of the fruit you would usually feed as part of their dinner as treats without reducing their appetite for the staple diet, fruits and veggies you feed each evening.

Licky treats like a few drops of honey, applesauce or yogurt can be offered on your fingers as a treat as well.

If you have your gliders in a bonding pouch during the day, a slice of apple will give them something to munch on and also provide hydration for them.
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2015
09:23:06 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Are you getting one or two gliders? It may not seem like it but it's easier to get 2 right off the bat.

As for snacks, In the beginning snack giving is very frequent. Treats are used to get the gliders used to hands, to teach them hands are not threats and they bring treats. Almost every time I handled mine they got a treat.

Once bonded, after a few weeks, treat giving is usually reduced. For me, I give treats every day when I get them out of the sleeping pouch to either go in the bonding bag or on "me" in my shirt. They usually get a few meal worms, then a butterscotch or vanilla chip or pinenuts. If I give meal worms at night they fill up on them and won't eat as much of their dinner so for my guys they are a bedtime snack during the day. They also do get treats at night in foraging toys, but they are limited, and not always treats. Like Candy said, you can use part of their normal dinner for treats as well. I hide blueberries or avocado in foraging toys that are easy to clean up after...
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2015
08:42:34 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
We have treats several different places-on a plate in the bathroom where we take them out; in a couple different forage toys daily in the cage; and I sometimes feed them treats in their pouch during the day while they sleep.

AS for what types of treats- mainly yogurt drops but also they love cheerios and mealworms. Cheerios they usually get a few a day, and mealworms usually a few every few weeks. They really aren't all that good for them to have frequently.
snacks

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
snacks