GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Glider-mom here!
New Glider-mom here!
Information
Apr 27 2015
10:38:29 AM
Hello everyone!

My husband and I recently adopted a couple of sugar gliders after researching them for a few months and deciding that they were a suitable fit for our home. We've had them since Friday and we are absolutely in love. They're amazing little creatures!

They're both approximately 2 years old and are actually quite tame. I was told that one was a male and one was a female but I had read that males get a big bald spot and neither of them seem to have this. I haven't had the chance to be able to check out their tummies for a pouch yet as I'm trying to take things slowly with them. They'll sniff my fingers, take food from me and lick my hands but I haven't really tried to grab them yet or try to entice them to climb up my arm. I do have pouches that came with them so I'm going to try to wrangle them into one of those so they can hang out with me (sleep) while I work.

I'm also really enjoying their specialized diet. I think it's really fun to be able to pick out a large variety of meals to keep them happy and entertained. They don't seem to want to eat their veggies (green beans, corn, carrots and peas) even with a bit of organic, unsweetened applesauce on them. They LOVE their HPW "sauce" and fruits though!
Information
Apr 27 2015
11:08:19 AM
Ange1seyes Glider Visit Ange1seyes's Photo Album 113 Posts
Welcome! From what I understand, the bald spot will only be prominent in un-neutered males. The bald spot fills in after the hormones are gone.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Information
Apr 27 2015
11:30:47 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
You're not wrong If the male is neutered when he is young enough they won't even develop a bald spot, And if he was mature the bald spot usually fills back in as the hormone levels begin to drop.

Congrats on the new babies and welcome to the forum Sounds like your making some good progress with them already
Information
Apr 27 2015
11:39:03 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to glider parenthood.

If you are feeding HPW you are not limited to the frozen mixed vegetables to go with it.

You might try offering broccoli, spinach, sugar snap peas, green beans, okra, cucumber or any other fresh or frozen vegetable you want to try. Offer a wide variety and see what your gliders' favorites are.

The only vegetables that should never be offered are onions, leeks, garlic and rhubarb. Gliders should also never be offered anything containing Chocolate or artificial sweeteners.

Information
Apr 27 2015
04:02:28 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Welcome to Glider Gossip, and congratulations on your additions to your family. You will find a great source of information here, so glad you found us.
Information
Apr 27 2015
05:01:52 PM
RaveMoon Joey 29 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice!

We definitely won't be sticking with frozen veggies forever! I can't wait to get the gliders all different kinds of foods. I also have a macaw that is picky and enjoys different foods each day so I'm used to needing lots of fruits and veggies in the house!

I am very very lucky to have an awesome job working from home so I gently picked them up and put them in their bonding pouch. They spent the afternoon napping in my lap while I worked. It was a really precious experience. :)
Information
Apr 27 2015
09:01:01 PM
Ange1seyes Glider Visit Ange1seyes's Photo Album 113 Posts
Nice! I need a job like that. I took the girls with us out to breakfast yesterday morning. I just took their sleeping pouch down and showed them the opening of the bonding pouch and they crawled right in. Aside from looking like I was pregnant, it was great! Would love to see a pic of your macaw. I used to have an African Grey. He was so smart. We would have conversations when I would get home from work. Hahah
Information
Apr 29 2015
08:49:00 PM
RaveMoon Joey 29 Posts
I'll have to post some pictures of my macaw, definitely! I love African Greys so much but I've heard they're quite dusty like cockatoos and I am pretty allergic to even my tiny cockatiel so her cage stays REAL clean.

My suggies (still don't have names for them yet, arg!) Are fitting in fabulously. One of them loves racing up and down (she's a wild child!) While the other is more reserved and only gets excited at dinner time, Lol!

Here's a picture I took of them today during some pouch time:

New Glider-mom here!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Glider-mom here!