Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
pleeeeeeease help me feed my baby
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
08:05:28 AM
I'll start this off by saying hello, because I'm a very new glider owner!

The story is really long so I'll give the short version: I rescued my glider from the pet store I work at. He was a Pocket Pets glider and he's about a year old. So he's been on the PP diet for a year, and I know they're not exactly the best thing around :/

I would REALLY appreciate some help; I've done a lot of research on their diets but I still have so many questions because there are so many different sources that all say different things!!!

Right now, I don't have any sort of staple other than the PP pellets because I want to make sure that I get him something that doesn't make him sick.

In addition to the PP pellets, here's what I've been feeding him:

apples
carrots
mashed sweet potatoes
unsweetened apple sauce
pears
meal worms
boiled eggs

[I know that's not very varied but I've only had him for a few days now lol].

I also looked up supplements to give him that weren't the "glide-a-mins" or whatever PP calls them and I found a few sources saying that these were alright:

Vionate Vitamins
Rep-Cal

So, what else do I need? What else should I try? I have to admit I have ADHD so trying to look at all of these different sources and opinions is extremely overwhelming for me, and I would really appreciate some straight answers; perhaps with links to the products and where to purchase them if that's not too much trouble :/

Sorry this is so long. I just want to give Gizmo the better life he deserves than the one he was living in the pet store!
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
08:46:46 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
HI welcome to the forum and congrats on your new furbaby

I am glad your researching and finding better information than PP offers. He def needs a staple diet and some more variety... Which one is the best? There isn't a "best" diet. There are a few widely used diets so you will have to make a decision and just try one to see if he likes it. If he does like it Yayyy if he doesn't you may have to try a different one.

Bml is one of the most commonly suggested diets but it needs to be fed with specific fruits and veg. A member here (Candy) has a page with a few different recipes for different staples. Her version of bml is more flexible on what fruits and veg can be fed with it. She is also the best person to ask any questions you may have about her recipes. http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

I actually just received a bottle of Vionate with my new pair of rescues. Personally, I wouldn't and won't be using it. I prefer Rep-cal phosphorous free calcium for my staple and that is what my recipe calls for. This Vionate has dosages for everything BUT gliders.

What staple you choose determines what supplements you need to buy. The recipes need to be followed exactly so you don't alter the ratio that staple was designed to have. Candy's recipe calls for the NOW brand calcium which is different than Rep cal or Vionate. The multivitamin I use is herptivite also made by Rep Cal.
These ingredients should not be substituted for a different brand than what ever recipe you are following.

The list of what NOT to try is shorter so I will give you those instead of what to try.

Rhubarb toxic
raw lima beans toxic ( cooked or frozen are safe to feed)
chocolate toxic
onions toxic
garlic toxic
cat nip toxic
pork to fatty
beef to fatty
seasoned food

Most nuts are to fatty but a sliver of almond or walnut is safe occasionally, pine nuts are safe as regular treats.
avocados can be fed in moderation, they are very fatty but very loved by gliders.

Highly acidic foods can cause diarrhea so they should be fed in moderation as well. citrus, pineapple, etc...

grapes are debatable some think they are toxic to gliders others feel they are safe, I don't feed them at all as my one pair doesn't like them and Im still on the fence about them being toxic.

Any fruit with pits or stones the pits or stones need removed as they are toxic but the fruit itself is safe like cherries pit n peaches remove stone....

I think I covered everything to avoid..

Now if I may ask you some questions that you will likely get asked as a new member/owerner lol

Is your male neutered
how big is his cage
does he have a glider safe wheel
are there toys in the cage
are you planning on getting him a cage mate? he will benefit from a friend of his own kind.

Food, Diet
May 27 2015
10:10:21 AM
emolga Joey Visit emolga's Photo Album 28 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

Now if I may ask you some questions that you will likely get asked as a new member/owerner lol

Is your male neutered
how big is his cage
does he have a glider safe wheel
are there toys in the cage
are you planning on getting him a cage mate? he will benefit from a friend of his own kind.

First of all, thank you SO much for the answers; yours by far was the easiest to follow, and the link you provided for me was really really helpful!

As for your questions:

IS HE NEUTERED:
I think he is, but I will double-check with a coworker on Friday.
HOW BIG IS HIS CAGE: 18x18x24; the cage he came with. I think it may be too small?
DOES HE HAVE A WHEEL: the wheel that was provided for him was supposed to be glider-safe, but the first day he used it, the palms of his little hands were all cut up and there was blood everywhere, so we took it out. :/ I'm not sure if this was a wheel malfunction or what, but now I'm really skeptical about them. Any suggestions?
ARE THERE TOYS: I got him some branches and a hammock and I'm actually looking at some toys to order for him today.
CAGE MATE?: I was actually going to post another topic about this, to be honest! I really want to get him a friend because I know they do much better in groups than alone; but I don't know where to start, or what kind of glider would be best to introduce to him. A younger male? A male of the same age? If he's neutered; a younger female? How do I introduce the two? Etc, etc, etc
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
10:40:27 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'm glad it helped and wasn't confusing.

yes, your right in your thinking the cage is to small. When cages are to small they can cause some depression. Signs of stress or depression are

overgrooming (bald patches of fur in various places )

Stress circles, the glider will do back flips in one spot for an extended amount of time. And or run in circles around the top of the cage.

Any habitual behavior can be signs of stress or depression.

A bigger cage and stimulating toys and a cage mate can help to relieve depression/stress.

36 inches high x 22 inches deep x 33 inches wide is a good minimal sized cage for one or two gliders at the most. The one you currently have would be a good hospital cage or travel/transport cage.

There are few really good quality cages out there that are reasonably priced. Brisbane goes for about 130$ to give you an idea and is the dimensions I mentioned above.

I am sooo glad you removed what ever wheel that was ty! Most commercial wheels you find in pet stores are not glider safe. Commercial wheels are designed with rodents in mind, gliders do not run like rodents and need a wheel designed for their natural hopping leaping and jumping motions. Glider safe wheels are only found online and there are a few widely used wheels http://customchoicecruiser.all4gliders.com/ http://atticworx.com/

There is another one but orders are backed up atm due to the makers health issues so I won't give you that link

Toys.... Pleaseeeeeeeeee be careful with branches some wood is toxic to gliders, wood is also porous and absorbs urine and won't take long to start smelling badly.

Fleece is really the only "safe" material that should be inside a cage. Though some hammocks are ok depending on the material.

Easter eggs, drinking straws, baby toys like rattles, plastic bracelets that are big enough they won't get stuck in.....

There are tonssssssss of toys that are cheap that can be found at dollar stores, even toddler floor toys can be used as long as any holes are larger than 2 inches.

Braided fleece for them to undo helps to stimulate their mine. The easter eggs you can put treats in to use as a foraging toy... use your imagination and feel free to look at my pics and other member pics here to get some ideas on what to put in your cage.

Cagemate....
Age is really just a personal choice, but you want to try to find a glider about the same size as your current one. So if they fight during introduction neither have a size advantage. Having said that I have a male that is twice the size and 3 yrs older than my female and they introduced just fine.

male vs female.... as long as your current male is neutered either gender is fine.

If your male is intact he will need neutered before you introduce him to either a male OR female. With a female he would breed. With another male they will likely fight.

So it's best if when introducing 2 males that they are both neutered and have a waiting period for the hormone levels to drop before trying to put them together.

Food, Diet
May 27 2015
10:52:29 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Yeah, Leela has covered the diet issue succinctly. It's always more confusing the more places you research. The gliderpedia here on this site has a wealth of information that should answer all of your questions, not just diet related but as to your future concerns (adding a glider, etc.).

The wheel that hurt him could not possibly have been truly glider safe. Feet being cut up just wouldn't happen on a good wheel. Pocket Pets and others try to push the Wodent Wheel, but just google a few pictures of Wodent Wheel injuries and deaths and you'll be absolutely sick and would never use one. A wheel, safe wheel, is extremely important for your little guy. They use them constantly even when in a colony, but it will be especially helpful for him while he is alone. The most common brands of glider safe wheels are "Stealth, Raptor, etc." They are pricey, they are big (in a small cage it will take up a LOT of space). But, due to the unique way that gliders 'hop' as opposed to just running, the wheels are designed specifically for their type of movement. Also, their long tails require that there be no axle that can injure the tail. Also google the videos of gliders in their wheels. There are some in slow motion that are interesting...and awesome to watch!

Good luck with the toy search! Lots of fleece! Pouches, hammocks, vines, etc. Fleece is the best fabric to have in a cage because glider nails easily get caught in fabric or fabric stitching and they will quickly injure themselves if not mutilate a limb that has gotten tangled up. He'll need a lot of stimulation. There are threads here that you can search for other folks pictures of cage set ups and the toys and foraging baskets, etc. that they use. Thrift stores are a good place to look for safe toddler type toys. The dollar stores are also a good spot to hit. Wood is less desirable for cages simply because it is nearly impossible to keep clean and from smelling of urine.

I'd say get your little boy set up with a new diet, a vet check, a glider safe wheel, a bigger cage and some bonding time for him to settle into his new environment. After this and of you getting to know him and getting a handle on what it's like to live with gliders...then take a look at finding him a cage mate. You'll need to find out if he's neutered etc. and how healthy he is first. Just saying...first things first, you know?

Keep us posted! Looking forward to some pictures of Gizmo!
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
10:54:11 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Aaaaaand...just to let you know....Leela and I happen to be famous for typing at the same time and posting right on top of each other! (it happens with many of us)
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
11:07:35 AM
Yes we do and Blue is fantastic at filling in all the gaps I forget to mention lol
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
01:11:05 PM
emolga Joey Visit emolga's Photo Album 28 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Nostalgic

Aaaaaand...just to let you know....Leela and I happen to be famous for typing at the same time and posting right on top of each other! (it happens with many of us)

Thank you so much for all of the info and for your advice!

I think your idea is great; first thing's first, take care of Gizmo before getting another cage mate. I'll definitely fix him up with what he needs.

Also, goodness, you two are on very similar wavelengths, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Leela

Yes we do and Blue is fantastic at filling in all the gaps I forget to mention lol

Thank you again, too! As for his branch, I'm pretty sure it's safe for gliders, but I will double check. I think his hammock is fleece as well O:

I may make another thread later with pictures and comparisons asking which supplies to buy and which to skip so I'll be even more informed and Gizmo will be even happier.

And I do happen to have one photo of Gizmo handy: here he is, the little hooligan.
Food, Diet
May 27 2015
02:51:34 PM
awwww he's a cutie!!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders