Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
New Behavior In Sugar Glider
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:03:28 PM
So i was sitting in my chair tonight before getting my baby Amelia (less than 8 months old) out to play and i noticed she was hanging from the top of her cage from her hind legs, but scrunched in to almost a ball like position with her between the back legs and her front legs there as well. I wasn't sure if this was just some normal behavior or if it is something i should be worried about, any and all help is of course appreciated.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:26:13 PM
MitchW2008 Starting Member Visit MitchW2008's Photo Album 4 Posts
Meant to say her head between her back legs, also included a picture to show what i mean.

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:29:15 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
hm, that's a new one on me. Is she stuck there? or has she moved or changed poitions???
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:31:23 PM
she'll just randomly hop up to the top and then come down, eat some of her food, and then climb back up and do it again. Her behavior hasn't changed besides that.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:39:13 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Is she by herself in the cage? and how big is the cage? I'm guessing on the small side for the cage n no cage mate...
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:41:09 PM
whats the red and white thing? and how long have you had her?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:47:35 PM
no cage mate, she was an impulse buy (I know I know bad to do) (got her from the people who call them sugar bears, who i also found out are bad) I have a bigger cage ordered for her, current one is about 3 feet tall, and 2.5x2.5 the red and white thing is her spin wheel. She's never had this behavior before, and i feed her he australian wombaroo diet, with an extra slice of apple every now and then as a special treat. She isn't in her cage at night by herself often, i get her out and play with her since I typically work a 3-9PM job (work on college campus doing events) so she's really only alone when she sleeps during the day
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:49:42 PM
To save us both a little time as it is getting kind of late n I'm fixing to head to bed... The going from bottom to the top then dropping to the bottom again is a habitual behavior of a lonely, under stimulated, and likely depressed little glider.

She could use a larger cage, remove any heat rock or heat lamp if you are using any If that red and white thing is her wheel it needs replaced with a glider safe wheel, if you need places to buy one I can give you some links they can only be purchased online.

And pleaseee give that baby girl some toys to get her mind stimulated. Drinking straws, an empty coolwhip container with a 2 inch hole cut in the top or side, easter eggs with some treats in them, fleece braids for her to undo.... plastic bracelets toddler toys with holes no smaller than 2 inches...

she needs a fleece sleeping pouch

She also needs a cage mate, that would benefit her the most. That is not something you can provide her immediately though so for now lets focus on getting her cage to be a fun stimulating cage for her to help with the stress she is in.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2015
10:58:43 PM
I kinda guessed that n no I'm not going to go on a big rant, that really doesn't help anyone. What does help is pointing you in the right direction to be able to properly take care of her. Step one forget almost everything they told you.

that diet is one I'm not all that familiar with but there is another member here who probably is. What I can tell you is she needs more variety than just apple, she needs fruits and veg every night along with the staple diet.

It's good that she isn't in the cage all the time at night but when she is in there she needs things to occupy her and things that are safe and she won't get her nails snagged on. I can spend a little more time helping you get her sorted out and others here might jump in with advice too but for now I'm fixen to go to sleep.

Try to find safe plastic things straws, cups, a ping pong ball or two to put in her cage tonight it will help a little with the floor to ceiling thing until you can get her more toys
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 04 2015
03:57:00 PM
liski23 Glider Gliderpedia Editor Visit liski23's Photo Album liski23's Journal 80 Posts
she could be cleaning herself because she doesn't have a cage mate to do it for her.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories