Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
silkworms?
silkworms?
Food, Diet
Jun 13 2015
01:53:46 AM
I tried to look in the archives and I found some posts about the theoretical nutritionnal value of silkworms, but seemingly none about actual results by giving them to gliders.

In one hand it would be convenient because I have tons of those around, but on the other, I am puzzled about their possible toxicity : silkworms feed on mulberry leaves, which are definitely toxic to mammals. Even if the worms metabolise it, I'm not sure the toxins are not still present in them and in the least, in the leaves still contained in their digestive system.

Has anyone actually tried to give silkworms as treats on a regular basis, were there any ill-effects and were they liked by the gliders?

Food, Diet
Jun 13 2015
09:03:12 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
quote:
they are higer in protein, lower in fat, and contain a cancer eating enzyme. we often recommend them for insect eaters. hedgies especially since they are cancer prone.

this is from glider central, nothing I have read has mentioned anything toxic about them, but do mention the silk worms are to cute to be used as feed and that is why some won't feed them to gliders here.

It wouldn't be advised to feed insects or worms you find wild though even if you have them in abundance there.

Farmed insects and worms are considered safer but even then you have to make sure the bedding and feed that the farmed insects and worms are being farmed in are glider safe.

The people that do feed silk worms here buy them from reputable vendors who hopefully raise them in glider safe environments.

I personally have not tried them but I have noticed the "new trend" here is feeding them horn worms, which I also haven't tried.

Food, Diet
Jun 13 2015
09:29:28 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Oh, when I said I had tons of those around, it's raised ones, afaik silkworm are always raised anyway, they are so domesticated that they are unable to survive in the wild. ;)
Food, Diet
Jun 13 2015
11:20:38 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Oh it sounded like they were falling off the trees and I hadn't had coffee yet
Food, Diet
Jun 13 2015
12:22:46 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
quote:
Oh it sounded like they were falling off the trees and I hadn't had coffee yet

I wish! I'd be rich with such easily harvested silk
Food, Diet
Jun 16 2015
10:01:27 AM
sugarghost Starting Member 4 Posts
You can feed your gliders any of the commonly found feeder insects; crickets, roaches, meal + superworms, wax worms, silk worms, horn/goliath worms, and butter worms. If you get them from a reputable breeder (you can check reptile forums) they'll be safe for your pets to eat.
As for silkworms specifically, as good as they are, my gliders had no interest in them. They looove wax worms and goliaths (I recommend cutting off the heads because they bite) and won't take mealworms anymore because they expect better, lol.
Food, Diet
Jul 19 2015
06:21:09 AM
Jodykersten Joey 45 Posts
Hi for silk worms its easy to breed them yourself.
You can buy a batch and let them spin cocoons, than when the moths come out let them lay eggs, each moth will lay about 200-500 eggs about 2 times.
When they layed their eggs you can feed the moths as well to your gliders.
Than the egg care, just putt them in a plastic seal bag in the fridge for about 3 weeks, than you take out some of them to let hatch at room temp. (you can leave the other eggs in the fridge as they stay good for about 5 years!) Its best to let a lot of moths hatch in summer and let them do the egg laying thing in a little screencage outdoors. This way you have plenty of eggs for the rest of the year(s) depending on how many moths you let come out and on how many gliders you have to feed.
another option is to buy the eggs online, same counts for hornworms but they should be fed a special made chow. (which you can buy online as well)
the silk worms just eat mulberry leaves which you can get outdoors.

Waxworms are also easy to breed, you only need some wax paper and pollen.

So for cost efficiency Silk worms will be cheaper and easier to raise than horn worms. Youtube has some instructions on how to if you like.

This way you are always sure you have the best live food for your gliders.

Edited by - Jodykersten on Jul 19 2015 06:22:31 AM
silkworms?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
silkworms?