Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Help
Bonding Help
Question
Jun 19 2015
06:00:17 PM
Im new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong spot. About a monthago I got a 1 year old sugar glider named Jax from a friend. He is a very sweet little guy when he isn't biting me. He never crabs anymore but whenever I try to pet him he starts going towards my finger like hes going to bite it. He lets me pet him usually when hes eating but sometimes he goes at my finger like hes going to bite it. I pull away slightly but i move my finger back to where it was. When i take him in a tent i wear a hoodie because in afraid he might bite the back of neck when he runs up my back. He also likes to climb on my head and try to go over the hood and by my face which freaks me out. I try not to be afraid because i know he can sense fear but i want to be able to let him roam my body without the fear of him biting me. Does anyone have any tips that they could give me?
Question
Jun 19 2015
06:28:20 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
I have to admit I don't have a glider yet ( I'm getting mine next month so I've been doing lots of research) but I've read that it can take a long time to bond so give it time. If he bites you, you can blow on him and make a pssst sound gliders don't like that. He also may be grooming you not trying to hurt you. You may also try holding him firmly (make sure it's not too tight) in both your hands. Give him a little space to breath. He may end up falling asleep in your hands. Doing that let's him get used to being held and used to being in your hands. He may bite you if you do this but you have to just take it. If you let him go if he bites you, you are teaching him that biting gets him what he wants, so don't let go. What are you feeding him by the way? Hope this info helps.
Question
Jun 19 2015
06:56:27 PM
Justin E Joey 14 Posts
I make the pssst sounds but it seems the more i do it the less it works. He hasnt bitten me in a while but i dont want it to keep happening. I feed him the BML diet with frozen fruits and veggies, i rinse the fruits and veggies off before giving them to him though. He also gets crickets through out the day and treats as well such as drops of honey
Question
Jun 19 2015
07:29:41 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
Every glider is different I suppose I hope the ones I get aren't biters. I guess you should stop making the sounds maybe it will help. You should definitely get another glider. They should be kept at least in pairs. This may help him relax and not be as lonely it could help with the biting.
Question
Jun 19 2015
07:31:26 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum Remhomed or Rescued gliders bond a little differently sometimes. I have a new rescue 2 yr old female who has an issue with skin, and a 4 yr old male rescue who had an issue with skin. This isn't your typical biting, this is almost a fear of skin at least in my experience.

With my male I would let him go into my sweatshirt sleeve ( He would follow my female in there ) Then he would have a brief panic attack, crab a little and scrape his teeth on me or slap my arm with his hand. Both hurt and are startling, then I'd offer him a pouch to go in which he would promptly dive into. I never forced him into my sweatshirt it was always his choice, and his choice to leave it.

My head is one of Simon and Nicky's favorite place to be. I will keep my hood up for the next couple weeks with Nicky and then let it stay down. They both look over the front to sniff my face and neither have scrapped or bitten my face. It gives them a chance to check you out without you "watching" them or looking at them directly which can make them a little braver and less likely to bite or scrape your face. My two gliders with skin issues seem to have a low level of Confidence in themselves.

Looking at them or watching them intently intimidates them, like you are fixen to have them for lunch. Try not to focus all your attention on him when you have him out for tent time or bathroom time, sort of ignore him without ignoring him. Read a book or get on your cell phone, don't be so interested in him all the time and what he is doing when he is on you. It will allow him to explore you more on his terms. When you kind of "ignore" them it also makes them a little more curious about you and why your not trying to pet him or see what he is up to...

Both of my gliders with this issue are on the larger size as far as weight goes, they don't have sure footing on bare skin like a lighter glider has and they prefer walking on clothing because they can get a better grip and don't feel like they will fall. It's kind of funny but with my male it's like he is afraid of hurting me with his nails, and would avoid my arms if wore a tank top, as soon as I put my sweatshirt on he'd march down my arm like he owned it.

Don't expect him to go for your skin just cover exposed skin wear socks, long sleeves, pants hoodie etc... and try not to panic when he tries to check out your face, just bow your head slowly if he is to close to skin and he will go to the back of the head where it's higher. It's passive way to move him without scaring him or reaching for him.

After a couple weeks of head to toe clothes and sweating my a$$ off, I started bra training with Simon, I would put him in a small pouch and tuck him and the pouch in my bra. Leela his cage mate free roams on me and joins him in the pouch then will leave him for her fav spot in my sweatshirt. When ever the pouch would skootch down and he'd wake up with his head in direct contact with my skin he would scrape his teeth on me until I adjusted the pouch for him and he'd go back to sleep. Eventually they start to understand that you "get it" and are trying to help him.

Over time Simon has gotten over his skin issue and doesn't scrape his teeth, crab, or slap me anymore, He is ok on my bare skin, in my sweatshirt with out a pouch. Still if he is in my bra he prefers to be in a pouch but he will go in without one occasionally now.

Nicky one of my new rescues, displays a lot of the same behavior Simon did. I too wear a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up.

NOT in fear of her biting or scraping her teeth, but to respect the fact that skin scares her.

I did however miss the fact that my left sleeve has a hole in it... the hole did not escape her attention though she was walking down my arm and instantly crabbed and scrapped her teeth on my skin through the hole. I covered the hole and she went on her merry way. Honestly it's like they don't understand what skin is, and why you don't have fur.

It will take time and maybe a few owies for you, but it can be over come. I've had Simon since October, it took me until around March ( 5 months ) until he was over the skin issue and that wasn't his only behavioral issue. He also over grooms, and was pouch protective for a couple months. The over grooming is still an issue for him even though he is no longer alone, has an enormous cage ( 2 brisbane cages side by side ) and plenty of toys and a wheel. At this point the only thing I can figure is over grooming for Simon is a habitual learned behavior he just can't stop.

I don't know if any of this will help you and your glider, but try to give it some time. And try to gradually allow your hoodie to be left down. Then gradually no socks and so on..

Also please consider getting him neutered if he is intact, that might help some of it. And get him a cage mate if he doesn't already have one. A cage mate can be a valuable asset in teaching him new glider skills and to trust you.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 19 2015 07:37:59 PM
Question
Jun 19 2015
09:15:41 PM
Justin E Joey 14 Posts
Im in the process of getting him neutered next weekend and after that i will be looking for a 1 year old female glider for him. Thanks for all the advice!
Question
Jun 19 2015
09:50:59 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
That's wonderful I'm an admin on a group on facebook, we work to find homes for Craigslist, rehomes, and rescues. Members are listed by state, and are tagged if there is a glider near them in need. If you need help locating a cage mate it's a great place to find one, so many are in need. My name is Carla Sloan on there if you care to join you can message me so I know who you are.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sugargliderguardians/
Bonding Help

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Help