Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is my glider just super lazy or sick?
Question
Jul 17 2015
11:53:04 PM
So i got my 2 gliders gizmo and gadget about a year ago. And they have both been kinda mellow. But as we bonded gadget has got to be super hyper and energetic but gizmo just stays chill he will run in the wheel in short bursts then kinda check around and the rest of the time he will just sit on my shoulder or on my back and not really do much. While gadget runs around jumping to and from everything. I dont have them on a recommended diet i did what the breeder told me and i give them fresh apples,sweet potatoes, grapes , and other fruits every night with calcium supp. On them and i also give them protein pellets. I change their water and gliderade every night and morning because for some reason they like to put insects and stuff in it. I dont know if one is just super lazy (gizmo) or if he is sick. Ive taken gadget to the vet a couple of times but gizmo hasnt gotten sick. Help plz.
Question
Jul 17 2015
11:56:34 PM
humansugarglider Starting Member 2 Posts
O yea i play with them in a tent and sometimes gizmo will climb around on the sides and just sit there doing nothing.
Question
Jul 18 2015
09:06:15 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
Every glider has their own personality. I've heard of some that line to play and some that just hang out and chill. If he's always been this way then maybe that's just how he is. You should be worried what you are feeding them though. Gliders shouldn't eat pellets. That can cause them to have lumpy jaw. They also need to eat some more veggies like peas, carrots, spinach and things like that. You also can try getting a small animal water bottle. That way that can't put things in their water. It's much more sanitary. You may notice a change in their energy if you change what they are eating. Try looking at the diets listed on this website. Find one that's best for you and your gliders. Also you won't need to have the calcium supplements. Hope this helps.
Question
Jul 18 2015
02:49:04 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
An important question would be : has he always been that way?
If he has never been more active during the year, it's not that much of a worry, it's if it is a change from his normal behavior that it is a problem. One of my gliders (Leo) is just the same, he hardly gets out of the cage and prefers play in the wheel or watch over the others while they are exploring the room, in rare occasions he will come and hang on me, but that's usually when the others are in the cage or when the others are fussing at eachothers.

On another note, he might be lacking of proteins: the only protein source seems to be the pellets, are you sure he eats them? (many gliders will fill themselves with fruits and rather let the pellets out.
Gliders' digestive system is not adapted to digest dessicated food such as pellets. There is at least one feeding plan which includes protein pellets as a snack to leave during the day in case they wake up hungry, but not as a main.
Question
Jul 18 2015
03:30:25 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This is something that was recently brought to my attention and I'm not sure why I or We don't consider this more often.

Colony animals have specific roles with in the colony, yes I know most of us know that.

But with those roles they also have specific jobs. Most of us don't think about this, I know I didn't.

Just like a colony of ants or colony of Bee's each individual is born with a job. Some of the behavior gliders display can help you determine what their job is, in the colony.

I recently introduced 2 pairs of gliders so essentially I merged 2 colonies together. Leela from one pair and Amy from the other are having a really hard time "getting along". They each had the same job in their separate colony and now have to figure out who is going to do that job and how it's going to be done in the new colony.

They are both hyper, both use the wheel a lot all trough the night, they both have similar personalities and even body type both love to spend time out of the cage. For all these reasons I thought they would get along great!! and for allll these reasons they actually don't get along great

My male is the sentry, he guards the sleeping pouch and keeps an eye on everyone, he rarely uses the wheel and rarely likes to even leave the cage unless he is on me. He's sweet and loveable and mellow but crabby sometimes.

My other female is a short distance forager, she uses the wheel for a short time she explores the cage but isn't as hyper as the other two, she is also the colony protector, when they are all in the same pouch she is on top and she is big enough to cover almost all four when she spreads out her limbs so all I can see is her. Simon my male is right up there with her and the other two alwayssssssssss tunnel down to the bottom of the pile.

In the wild colonies don't typically join one another so there isn't a job conflict. In captivity we "introduce" them to each other and the gliders really don't have a choice. So all of the sudden some new comer is trying to do Leela's job and do it differently than Leela does and she is not impressed!

The point of this short version of my introductions is....

It sounds like your Gizmo's job is the sentry, he likes to stay close to home, guard the nest and keep an eye on the rest of the colony while they do their jobs through out the cage. The other more active and adventurous one Gadget sounds like maybe a long distance forager. A glider who travels some distance to forage for food for the colony. There are short distance foragers who only go so far then return to the nest...

It really made sense to me the more I really started watching my colonies behavior and gave me some insight on how the colony was functioning. Right now it's still dysfunctional but I at least understand why now.

As for diet, yes you really should get them on a "approved" staple to ensure they are getting a well balanced diet

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders