Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How often can my guys have eggs?
Food, Diet
Aug 30 2015
03:04:57 AM
They've been out of HPW for a couple weeks because there was a mishap with the shipping but I've been giving them scrambled eggs or chicken baby food along with their normal fruits and veggies. How often is it OK to give them eggs and baby food?
Food, Diet
Aug 30 2015
11:32:19 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Do you have more Wombaroo High Protein Supplement (or which ever "HPW" you use) ordered and on the way to you?

Offering chicken or eggs with the fruits and vegetables is a good temporary diet but really lacks calcium so it should not be used long term.

Try to get the supplies to prepare HPW as soon as you can to get them back on their usual diet.

In the mean time - be sure to offer some of the higher calcium fruits and vegetables like papaya, broccoli, kale, spinach or okra and offer some plain or fruit yogurt in addition to the eggs and chicken for protein.

You can use any type yogurt that does NOT contain artificial sweeteners - avoid the diet, no sugar added, light and lite varieties because these will have the artificial sweeteners.
Food, Diet
Aug 30 2015
01:16:43 PM
Kaydee Glider 52 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

Do you have more Wombaroo High Protein Supplement (or which ever "HPW" you use) ordered and on the way to you?

Offering chicken or eggs with the fruits and vegetables is a good temporary diet but really lacks calcium so it should not be used long term.

Try to get the supplies to prepare HPW as soon as you can to get them back on their usual diet.

In the mean time - be sure to offer some of the higher calcium fruits and vegetables like papaya, broccoli, kale, spinach or okra and offer some plain or fruit yogurt in addition to the eggs and chicken for protein.

You can use any type yogurt that does NOT contain artificial sweeteners - avoid the diet, no sugar added, light and lite varieties because these will have the artificial sweeteners.

yes, the hpw is on the way. I give them a fruit and veggie relish that I got from this website and it has a lot of the things you mentioned. I will pick up some yogurt for them as well. Thanks!
Food, Diet
Sep 23 2015
09:43:17 PM
sugargliderisatasteymeal Glider Visit sugargliderisatasteymeal's Photo Album 87 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

is calcium really the only reason?

cause im thinking about getting a glider in the new year, and if calcium is the only reason, i might skip the hpw to every other day, or maybe 2 days, and just grind up lots of eggshells on days they dont get hpw cause i have a dozen chickens and i usualy just feed the eggshells back to the chickens, which they dont even eat if i dont break them up small enough

or is there more then just calcium and protein in the wombaroo
Food, Diet
Sep 23 2015
11:10:37 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
There is MORE in the HPW staple than just protein and calcium. I contains a good balance of vitamins and minerals that gliders need as well as honey to provide carbohydrates for their active little bodies.

Feeding JUST egg in place of a balanced staple is not good for gliders long term because you would be offering too much protein daily, with out the balance of other ingredients that make up a balanced staple.

Adding egg shells is not a good way to get the right amount of calcium for gliders - it is more likely that you would offer an excessive amount and unless ground to a very fine powder pieces of shell would be difficult for a glider to swallow safely.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders