Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
eating habits
eating habits
Food, Diet
Oct 27 2015
05:26:39 PM
I have 2 girls, they're about a year old and seem perfectly healthy. over the past week i've noticed that one of them seem to do nothing but eat. she was always less social and always seemed to stay near the food bowl more than the other but this past week all i see her do is go from food bowl, to water bottle, and back. oh and she's not just spending more time eating, she's actually eating a ton more than she used to. any ideas why this change might have happened?
Food, Diet
Oct 27 2015
05:38:08 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Winter is coming... It's not uncommon for gliders to eat more and even gain some weight before winter. Having said that, what are you feeding them??
Food, Diet
Oct 27 2015
05:54:58 PM
dave.klatz Joey 39 Posts
right now i'm giving them 4T of one of the glider kids recipes (i premixed the right ratio of protein to fruit and veg.) and 1T of glider complete pellets.

I was thinking along the lines of fattening up for the winter and they're definitely up more with it getting dark earlier. just thought it strange that only 1 showed a significant change.
Food, Diet
Oct 27 2015
10:02:16 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
right now i'm giving them 4T of one of the glider kids recipes (i premixed the right ratio of protein to fruit and veg.) and 1T of glider complete pellets.

If you are using one of my staple recipes the recommended servin amount of the staple is TWO TEASPOONS PER GLIDER along with about 1 TBS of fruit and 1 TBS vegetables per glider each night.

Are you mixing the fruits and vegetables with the GliderKids Staple before freezing?

Unless you are measuring daily servings of each food and freezing it in a small container you will not be able to determine if they are getting the correct amount of the staple.

Your glider may be eating more because winter is approaching - but you need to be sure you are feeding the correct amounts.

The pellets are not needed.
Food, Diet
Oct 27 2015
10:26:34 PM
dave.klatz Joey 39 Posts
yes, i mix everything together before freezing to make sure the proper balance is kept.

thanks for the replies. i'll add another cube and some snacks. i didn't realize they ate more in winter.
Food, Diet
Nov 10 2015
07:24:49 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Dave, weird question...I just reread this and your other post...any chance you have a boy and a girl? I know you said they're both girls but I new a lady who didn't realize she had a boy glider. Anyway, could one be carrying joeys? Just a thought.
Food, Diet
Nov 10 2015
08:22:21 PM
dave.klatz Joey 39 Posts
thanks for replying to both posts. I'm pretty sure i saw a pouch on both of them, but i think i remember reading somewhere that a glider can become pregnant and pause the pregnancy for up to a year. seeing how the one who is gaining weight was about a year old when i got her 5 months ago i guess it is possible?
Food, Diet
Nov 11 2015
04:31:35 AM
Yeah, I suppose it is. In the other post Candy asked if they're playing outside the cage at all?
I hate to belabor the topic but males (unneutered) have a Pom that's fuzzy and hangs a bit...it's fairly obvious when you look at their bellies. Again, I only say that because the one lady I knew brought her gliders to me because she couldn't tell if they were girls or boys so I picked one up, turned him over and was like "boy" because it was so obvious to me lol. Anyway...no judgement here!
My other thought is that their play schedule might just be when you're sleeping. My pair is like that: if I want to have tent time with them I have to get up at like 4:30 because that's the only time they'll play other than middle of the night. My quad is ready to play at like 8pm.
Food, Diet
Nov 11 2015
07:49:40 AM
dave.klatz Joey 39 Posts
no neither of them have any guy parts haha.

they do get to play outside the cage. i usually open the cage when they wake up around 10, and by 11 they start coming out to play. then i let them do pretty much whatever they want for an hour or so (as long as they're not on wires or my books). and just so nobody gets worried, the room is glider safe.
Food, Diet
Nov 11 2015
08:51:40 AM
Lol ok she's probably just fat!
My Gimli is fat. And lazy. He prefers a slow trot on the wheel to the usual running leaps the others do. And he's a glutton. He wakes up way before the others to get any treats I hide and whatever veggies are the favorite. Maybe your girl's personality is like his.
Try more climbing vines, less hammocks to sit in, hidden treats, and when they're out playing see if you can get her to chase a feather.

Edited by - Kferg on Nov 11 2015 08:54:23 AM
eating habits

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
eating habits