GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Scent Neutralizers
Scent Neutralizers
Health related
Nov 02 2015
01:05:41 AM
Hello.
I am getting a family of 3 sugar gliders soon and I need to clear this up.
My room is naturally a little smelly do to an air vent that leads from my basement and I usually use febreeze and a "renzuit" air freshener to deal with it. I know febreeze is probably not okay, but I'm wondering about the "renzuit" one.
I am aware that sugar gliders naturally have a musky scent, and I'm totally cool with that. I just want to keep the other basement smell from my room.
Would this be bad for them? I am perfectly fine with getting other odor controllers (if so please state their names so I may purchase them), but I want to see if I truly have to.
Thanks so much for reading!
Health related
Nov 02 2015
08:26:40 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
The best advise suggested is that no sprays of any kind be used in a glider room. Their respiratory systems are so tiny and can be considered fragile when using spray mists. Some people have said that their gliders have been sensitive to the plug in oil warmers, etc. and have had to remove them from a room, while others have used them and not had a problem. I have seen febreeze clip on type thing for cars that you might be able to put on the vent.

If your family has any intact males you're going to have much more funk from them, but all gliders have some funk depending on several factors of their habitat.
Health related
Nov 02 2015
08:43:19 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
For your OWN health - as well as that of the Gliders - it would be good to find out what is causing the odor in the basement and remedy THAT first. If it is mold - it is dangerous for you even if you use something to mask the smell - the mold spores are still there.

AC/Heat vents are normally sealed with metalic tape to both prevent loosing heat and cool air into the attic or walls and to prevent the ducts from drawing in musty or dirty air from those areas. If there is a noticeable odor coming through the vents, they can be cleaned and sealed.

If the odor from your vents bothers you - you will DEFINITELY want to neuter any male gliders you bring into your home. Their odor can overpower an entire home. Most people will go nose-blind to the odor but any guests in your home will definitely smell your gliders.

Health related
Nov 02 2015
10:57:26 AM
Bobita Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you guys for the advice!
Luckily I am getting two neutered males, which should help.
Taking the advice to investigate I discovered the cause of the smell. My brother keeps his fish in this basement area where we believe my room and this one connects. He has not cleaned nor has added much water to this tank in a while, as there are not many fish in this large tank. The algae in the tank was causing this smell. Luckily, with more water added and a clean, my room will smell better.
Thanks again!
Health related
Nov 02 2015
08:07:51 PM
sugargliderisatasteymeal Glider Visit sugargliderisatasteymeal's Photo Album 87 Posts
well just for google searches can we get an answer for the original question?

would a open box or two of baking soda work to eliminate some smell, as well as being non toxic?
Scent Neutralizers

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Scent Neutralizers