Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I feel like I'm making my glider hate me. What am I doing wrong?
Question
Nov 03 2015
10:59:04 PM
I have had my glider Buzz for about 3 weeks now, he is about 3 or 4 months old. I felt like I was making some progress with bonding with him at first. He takes treats from me and he let me pet him a few times. I thought that taking him around with me would help the bonding process but lately it seems like he's just more and more afraid of me and it breaks my heart. I am the one who spends the most time with him but he lets my mother and brother pet him without running away from them. With me he just seems scared and only takes treats and then nips me. I never pull away and instead make the 'pssst' sound but I feel like I'm not making any progress with him and it worries me.
What should I do? And what am I doing wrong?

Additional info:
I got him from a friend who was scammed by Pocket Pets. Since I've had him I've started him on the BML and bought him a stealth wheel. I'm currently saving up for a bigger cage (I'm a student so it's slow-going) and I'm hoping to get him a friend by the spring.

I've been taking him to class with me for a little over a week now and I thought for sure that it would help the bonding process but I feel like maybe it isn't since I don't see any real progress and at least he seems more trusting of the rest of my family (who barely interact with him)

I bought a tent hoping to start tent time with him but I can't even get him out of his cage . I really don't know what else to do at this point but I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

Edited by - larissap1215 on Nov 03 2015 11:12:01 PM
Question
Nov 04 2015
01:35:10 AM
larissap1215 Starting Member Visit larissap1215's Photo Album USA 6 Posts
* An update*
I couldn't get him out of his cage to try tent-time so I brought his cage into the tent (it's pretty small). I'd say it wasn't a negative experience. I didn't pay him much attention (I was trying not to scare him more). He choose to stay in his cage for a good portion of the time and I gave him a few treats. He didn't go up to me at all and seemed startled whenever I moved.
Is this a good method or could it work against me?

Edited by - larissap1215 on Nov 04 2015 01:36:24 AM
Question
Nov 04 2015
08:55:47 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Good Morning welcome to the forum n congrats on your new fuzzbutt. First, you need to understand a couple things.... 3 weeks is not very long and there is NO Time frame for "bonding".

Your critter is only 3 or 4 months old and already went through being removed from his parents/colony, neutered most likely since he is a PP baby, Sold to at least one person prior to you that didn't keep him and now given/sold to you, so he's is in yet another new environment, not to mention he is all alone.

Would YOU trust somebody completely in 3 or 4 weeks time ??? Thats what bonding is, TRUST and you have to show him he can trust you and you need to learn you can trust him.

"What should I do? And what am I doing wrong?"

What you should do is slow your roll, take your time and stop putting expectations on him.

What are you doing wrong? We can't tell you that based on two posts, You haven't told us what you're doing aside from taking him to school with you and one tent time.

What your doing right ? You're making gradual upgrades to his environment and diet. Sounds like your doing some research as well

What CAN you do ? More research, read, read a lot. Watch his body language, learn what he is telling you. When you put him in the bonding bag ( I'm assuming you have one and take him to school in it) Does he crab a lot?

Take him out of the cage while he is still in his sleeping pouch when you want to do tent time rather than trying to grab him in the cage when he is already awake.

Stop using your bare hands to grab him use a piece of fleece or pouch on your hand instead. You want to teach him your hands are safe, not scary claws trying to snatch him up to eat him. One of the main predators for gliders are birds, Imagine your in a cage and suddenly a claw is chasing you around trying to grab you.... that's what your hand is like to them. Wouldn't you be frightened?

Get on a routine, gliders respond well to consistency and routine. Take the sleeping bag out of the cage everyday at the same time for bonding time or going to school time.

Talk to him when you approach the cage and open the door to let him know your coming. The cage is his "safe zone" and anytime you are entering his home you are intruding on his sense of security. Respect his space.... His second safe place is the sleeping/bonding pouch. Your objective is to be his 3rd safe place, but you will have to work for it and modify how you are doing things to show him that you CAN be trusted.

I could continue but this is getting rather long my last bit of advice is to get glider mentor who can answer questions like these. I'm an admin of a group called Sugar Glider Guardians, we have an awesome mentoring program if you'd like one feel free to join our group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/sugargliderguardians/

My name is Carla Sloan on fb, feel free to message me anytime on there. https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

Question
Nov 04 2015
10:36:06 AM
larissap1215 Starting Member Visit larissap1215's Photo Album USA 6 Posts
Hey Carla, thank you for your thoughtful answer. :) I really love my baby and I can't wait for him to love me back

I understand what you're saying and I think you're right. I'm probably trying to rush things and ended up scaring him a bit. I think I also need to try to better respect his safe zones. I'm going to do my best to follow your advice and continue doing research.

I've actually joined the facebook group already. (last weekend) I messaged Alea from the group around the time I made this post last night and asked if she could help me find a mentor!

Again, thank you for responding!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders