Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New glider owner
New glider owner
Question
Nov 04 2015
12:36:14 AM
I got a cute little glider from a friend of mine about 2 weeks or so ago. His name is mishaka and I was told he was almost a year old, or getting close. I don't know how he was cared for with his previous owner but our bonding isn't going so great. It just might be me, I'm new at this, but I think I startle him more than anything. He won't let me handle him yet but he will let me transfer him from his sleeping pouch to his bonding pouch. I'm needing some experts advice. Any help guys?

This is much appreciated! Thanks!
Question
Nov 04 2015
02:57:17 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
Congrats on your sugar baby.

The first thing you need to do is choose a diet. They can be complicated.
Most are a mixture of honey, protien powder, eggs, and bee pollen. There are some just add water versions too.

All of them are fine but you have to choose what will work best for you. Do you want to order the items online. Or what to buy them at your local grocery store. Some of the most popular diets are HPW, Critter love, BML, Pricilla Price to name a few. Look up some info on them in the diet tab on this website. Whichever one you choose is fine just make sure you follow the instructions.

Gliders get 1 tablespoon of the protien mixture, 1 tablespoon of fruit, and 1 tablespoon of veggies. Some diets require certain fruits and veggies to go along with it.

The next thing you need to do is get your glider a buddy. Gliders don't do well by themselves. Try to find someone giving away a glider.

You should also look into getting your boy neutered. That will help with the smell. It will also make him less aggressive and easier to introduce another glider.

Last of all keep doing research on this website and post some pictures of your new fuzzbutt.

Question
Nov 04 2015
06:53:55 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new fuzz butt

Actually the first thing you need to do is slow down. 2 Weeks he is barely settled into his new environment. It's very overwhelming for gliders to be rehomed, a lot of new sites, smells, sounds, people, food, other pets, kids etc... to get adjusted to. Please don't put expectations on him as far as bonding goes that will only leave you disappointed and him frustrated.

Next understand what "bonding" means, it means nothing more than trust. He needs to learn to trust you and you need to learn to trust him, it's a two way street. Trust takes time, plain n simple.

This part is to Bossihamham.... I really don't mean to sound rude but, when giving advice it's best not to assume anything. Tbtorres may or may not have him on a "approved" diet, You need to ask people these things not tell them, because you really have no idea if they already do or not.

Second, the amount of "protein mixture" is called staple by most people, serving size depends on what diet they follow, not ALL staples are 1 tablespoon servings. If your not sure what serving size is for a specific diet then please check the instructions of THAT diet. Pleaseeeeeeee if your going to give advice make sure it's accurate and thorough information.

Tbtorres, what are you feeding him ? Do you have a glider safe wheel in the cage? Do you have toys in the cage to stimulate him ?

Transferring from one pouch to another is great!! Don't worry if he won't let you handle him much, gliders don't generally like to be "held".

Try to get on a set routine, get him out of the cage at the same time everyday, treats at the same time everyday, his dinner put in the cage at the same time everyday. Talk to him when you approach the cage so he knows your coming.... He will learn this routine pretty quickly and start to get used to how the rhythm of your house and his new environment flows.

Are you using the bonding bag during the day? it's one of the best times to bond when they are sleepy.

Is the glider neutered? If not he will need neutered BEFORE getting him a cage mate. It will help with the smell, territorial, AND PREVENT any breeding.

Single gliders can do just fine as a single. However, they do typically do better with a cagemate, they are colony animals.

In the meantime watch his behaviors, learn his body language, get to know what is normal for HIM so you will recognize abnormal behavior. Watch for signs of stress, back flips, circling, excessive running on the wheel, over grooming ( bald patches) any repetitive behavior like these are often signs of loneliness or cage to small or not enough stimulating toys in the cage.....

If you are interested in getting him a cage mate there are many places you can find them. Depending on where you live you may have a local rescue, there is always Craigslist, and Fb Groups like Sugar Glider Guardians. I'm an admin of that group, we also have a fantastic mentoring program where you can ask someone questions one on one if your interested please feel free to join the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/sugargliderguardians/ or message me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

Just take your time, he will bond on his own time frame on his own terms not yours ;)

Edited by - Leela on Nov 04 2015 07:15:22 PM
Question
Nov 04 2015
07:20:12 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Forgot to ask do you have a glider experienced vet? Its important to start building a relationship with your vet and know where emergency vets are located. If you dont have one yet I can help you find one just need your city n state.
New glider owner

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New glider owner