Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Clumpy Fur?
Clumpy Fur?
Question
Jan 25 2016
12:56:30 PM
Hi everyone! Gizmo is making a lot of progress! He has been home for a little more than 2 weeks, and just yesterday, he is showing interest in me. I got him in the pouch, and after opening it to give him some treats, he came out and started climbing on me! I got up and started to move around, but he stayed right on me, crawling around my arms and shoulders. He didn't want to get back in the pouch! This was my first time really getting a good look at him, and his fur looks a little clumpy. When he walks his fir parts at parts, it isn't super bad, but it doesn't really look normal. Every night I give him either an apple slice, pear slice, pear baby food, yogurt, or a variety of veggies. I also keep pellet food in his cage 24/7 (from exotic nutrition and pocket pets). He eats most of his fruit/veggies every night, and eats his pellet food as well. I have a water bottle in his cage, and it looks like he is drinking it. I also give him yogi bite treats. What could be making his fur a little clumpy? Thanks!
Question
Jan 25 2016
02:13:31 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm glad things are progressing with your bonding.

Fur could be several things. It could be the normal sort of parting of the fur that happens when they are in certain positions or movement. The different coloration's making it appear to be cracking.

Clumping sounds a little different...it could be related to grooming. He might not be as well groomed if he is a single glider.

Cracking can sometimes be attributed to dry air from the heater running in the winter. Adding moisture to the air with a humidifier helps with this.

Diet is something that all issues seem to sift down to. His diet isn't 'ideal'. The brand of pellets are of poor quality and are mostly filler. No glider diet should be based on pellets...they're a side item that are kept in the cage by some when their usual nightly meal is not in the cage. You're offering an assortment of fruits and veggies but he's not getting any protein or reliable nutrients and I'm sure that you will see much better results with a diet change. Some of the best and longest used diets are detailed in the gliderpedia (listed above).
Question
Jan 25 2016
06:42:20 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have cereal from petglider but will be switching to pro pets "happy glider" next purchase. The gliders rarely eat the cereal, they stay on the main food source.

I have the veggie and fruits like you, but I also provide critterlove complete.
That last part of diet is what I think you need to look into.
I have read here some people provide chicken or eggs or turkey as a protein source.

Our gliders also have that cracking in fur depending on how they stand.
I think you need to look more at color and softness.
Clumpy Fur?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Clumpy Fur?