Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
GLider Newbie need lots of advice
Information
Jan 31 2016
10:40:08 PM
Okay current owner of 1 sugar glider and I just wanna make sure that so far I've been doing things right as i started to read stuff on here I'm like Oh snap was the dr. like way off so yeah any help or advice or positive words would be Awesome.

So I'm Corey and the little furball in the pics is my buddy Zadr.

I hope that picture uploaded right.

He's currently 6 months and we have been together since he was a 2 month old Joey. The picture i just posted was a few weeks after i got him. Now with that said I'm gonna kind of sum up everything without making an annoyingly long thread post.

I got Zadr from a girl who lives in the same town as me, she's was super nice and had 3 or 4 gliders she personally owned. We talked for a bit and she gave me some info too, she's had a few of her gliders for a long time and her diet for them all is this stuff called Happy Glider food or chow i forget which one. and sliced up fruits and veggies, along with Meal worms and other snacks. My diet for him instead of the happy glider stuff. I found this stuff called Glider complete made my a pet supply place called exotic Nutrition. and instead of meal worms i give him little pieces of chicken, or cut up hard boiled eggs, and as backup some sliced Turkey not processed we get it from the Deli. I still give him fruits and Vegetables and sprinkle some glider cal on it. I try to follow this thing i found on a glider newsletter using produce with higher calcium than phosphorus ratios. "He tends to like fruit more than veggies unless it's sweet potato that i usually boil or pop in the microwave, (I tried cutting up some raw and cut my finger trying to cut it up) only problem is he leaves such a huge mess but I'm a messy person too so I let it slide."
For treats i give him dried fruit, usually pineapple or papaya or Mango. I didn't find yogurt drops at my supermarket no one here has heard of them i even tried walmart. "Found out after a quick research white chocolate chips work just as good... then 2 weeks ago i found out that yogurt drops aren't something you get at a grocery store you get them at a Pet store....." But since then i either will give him white chocolate chips or sometimes little pieces of yogurt covered pretzels. never thought about changing it would it be better to?

I was also considering with a new cage getting him a friend also, i found this woman nearby who breeds sugar gliders and she has a boy she's looking to sell. well I didn't really know much about GLider fur but she told me Zadr was a Cinnamon Sugar glider. when i googled it found out it meant his fur color but then i started freaking bout because it said that sometimes the Cinnamon color is a sign of poor diet. so I'm starting to get a little paranoid. I love Zadr to death and just want to make sure he's happy and Healthy.

Also I have a few more questions.
The food i feed him says it has bee Pollen and Pure Honey, So far he hasn't gotten Lumpy Jaw so does that mean he's okay to still eat it?

The vet on the Glider Videos said that they don't need to be bathed because they clean and groom themselves and they're one of the most hygienic pets out there. is this also true i was starting to notice his bottom coat looks kinda stained and wasn't sure if that was another lie and if it was does anyone know how to bath a sugar glider?

and then I guess i really should have joined this site sooner because i had just read a post in one of the topics that said those one wheels with the holes are bad for sugar glides. I got it at a Pet store after I looked them up at Amazon and I kid you guys not the advertisement on Amazon says it's great for Sugar Gliders and it had 4 stars and everything Even the pet store owner said it was good for gliders and she uses one for hers, and she told me he's going on 3.

and If i get this second Glider Zadr won't try to like eat or kill him will he? I know they aren't rodents like hamsters but still i just wanna make sure its safe. I want him to have another Glider to play with and hangout with He actually does fine on his own I"m up all night so he's always out of his cage playing around in my room or I let him play on the bathroom in the tub and on the shower curtains and on my days off i usually always have him in his bonding pouch unless I'm not going anywhere then i just take him out and he crawls right into the hood of my hoodie and hangs out in there. but I've still been told it's better to have 2 and i mean come on guys. twice the love

This is the most recent pic of Zadr I took it a few days ago.

If you guys can point anything out that's off or not right it'd mean alot. from what i can see besides a nail trim.... The first time and only time we tried it.. Well it was a really stressful night and he really didn't want anything to do with me for the next day and a half. That's why i was gonna get this thing they sell at the pet store were i live it's for the Wodent wheels it kinda reminds me of sandpaper, but you put in the wheel and as they run it trims or files their nails. (I know the wheels are dangerous and Don't want to risk it, but are there any other ways i can trim his nails so we don't both end up in therapy?

I was really skeptical to joining a pet forum site especially not really knowing anything about Sugar gliders I was kinda afraid people on there would be quick or judge or tell me I don't deserve to have on as a pet or wasn't smart enough to take care of one or just troll the heck out of me for trying to ask a question that they thought sounded dumb. But From what I've seen on the forum so far everyone seems to be helpful to one another So i hope to make new friends maybe even some others who live out in WV who have gliders.

Information
Feb 01 2016
12:55:22 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
a wheel with a center pole is bad, gliders jump when they use a wheel, so the center pole is something they will hit and hurt themselves. NO CENTER POLE

gliders are colony animals, they love to have other gliders with them. We have 4 gliders, they usually all sleep together. from time to time one or two will sleep apart.

Information
Feb 01 2016
01:54:58 AM
redeyes420 Joey Visit redeyes420's Photo Album 11 Posts
Honestly dude I didn't even know there was a Center Pole to it, I just now checked in there. I had no idea how i missed it I mean i saw the end of the poll wait What kind of wheel do i need, why. would they put that on there? what kind of wheel is safe for him, and will that sandpaper thing work for them or do they make a specail kind for their wheels like the Woodant Wheel.
Information
Feb 01 2016
10:12:28 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
well first off, I didnt really understand what diet you are feeding him but if you are just feeding fruits and veggies then I suggest getting him on a more widely used diet plan. some include HPW, BML, LGRS suggie soup, Gliderkids, and Pricilla Price.

the staining you are mentioning can be caused by two things, staining from the wondent wheel (it gets very dirty and can retain gunk and get caught in the gliders fur and body) and or not nutritionally fulfilled diet. I would suggest changing his diet, getting him a stealth wheel (doesn't have a bar in the middle) and looking into a friend for him. gliders are colony animals so they strive with one or more gliders.

you are doing great so far, just keep reading on diets!!

if you are thinking about switching cages I highly suggest the Madagascar Congo cage or any of the Brisbane cages. if you click on my profile i have a picture of my cage. it's two of the Brisbane cages stacked. my girls love all the space and I can easily add more gliders in the future:)

if you have any questions just leave a comment below!
Information
Feb 01 2016
10:15:41 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
also, for nail clipping, it has to be done. not even the sandpaper inserts can replace triming your gliders nails. if it is a big problem for you then I suggest taking him to the vet so he can do it. it's very dangerous if you don't from his nails, they can get caught and he will chew through his hand to get free. you can also break it up, do a hand a day until you are done.

Edited by - kiwi3435 on Feb 01 2016 10:19:11 AM
Information
Feb 01 2016
10:17:43 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Lots of people have wodent wheels they are marketed as safe.
the ones to get are the raptor or stealth, something 12 inches with open center, about 3 or 4 makers out there. I have two raptors, they are a little expensive BUT they also have a great bearing so our link runs all night and you can hardly hear it.

Messy eaters - you can make a kitchen. get Tupperware container ($1 at dollar store) turn it upside down and cut hole in side. We put all food inside Tupperware. In morning take it out and a quick wash makes it ready to go for the night.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of things right. Just keep reading and learning. It's a confusing animal to have, as in, lots of people like to do lots of things with them and say its the way you have to go.
Reminds me of my old car, I would go online and everyone would say DO IT THIS WAY or your doing it wrong! Quick example: Old corvettes had chalk marks on frame of car, you don't drive car in rain and chalk marks STAY on, now you have PROOF you never drove the car in the rain, so everyone likes to say they NEVER drove corvette in the rain. Well my 2002 corvette was a PLASTIC car, It will NEVER rust, so why not drive it in rain? makes no sense.
keep reading and do what you can.
Information
Feb 01 2016
11:20:25 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Welcome, Redeyes! You have come to the right place for friendly people and good information! Just ask away, or go to SEARCH at the top right of the page to look for previous posts about diet, wheels, etc.
Information
Feb 01 2016
05:25:32 PM
Thanks you soo much Everyone for being soo Nice now I'm really Happy I joined this site.
I was really worried I was doing something wrong ohh and this is the dr who's videos i used as my main research when i got him. There are a lot of other videos on his channels, from cages to toys,if anyone wants to check them out. www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6CrlF_Odg
Has anyone else used his videos is info right or wrong I assumed it was all true because he's a Vet and apparently he's written a book on GLiders.

Then when i saw what foods my Local Exotic pet store offered, I kinda winged it and got him the exotic nutrition food and some Glider Cal Supplment, but I also knew that Gliders like different fruits and Veggies, then From what some of the people from Pet supply's Plus told me they give their gliders boiled chicken and Veggies and fruits, I had decided to add that to his side, at night I have his staple food "the Exotic Nutrition food,"then I add little pieces of chicken or egg in there then in another dish i have his fruits and Veggies I dice up and sprinkle a little Glider Cal over it, or is that not good? But at the Exotic pet shop the woman there did mention something about that Priscilla diet. that you had mentioned Kiwi. I also Will try the one hand a day thing, I just really hope it goes better than last time

Information
Feb 01 2016
05:31:12 PM
That vet, he is being payed to make those videos for pocket pets. He is not accurate. Pellets are not good for gliders digestive system and can cause health problems.

The Pricilla price diet is wonderful and my girls loved it. Here is a link with all the information about it with the recipe to make it. www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system. If you feed this diet you also need to buy the calcium supplement that is designed specifically for this diet and no other supplement should be used. It is sold on the website I listed.

Hope this all isn't too confusing as it was for me when I started
Information
Feb 01 2016
05:39:41 PM
Wowww.... I feel really reall, stupid right now. I can't believe a Vet who's supposed to love animals would throw that BS out there like that for cash. I also take it you've heard of him before Kiwi3435 thank you for letting me know by the way. . I'm soo switching diets asap. but the Link you gave me goes to a file not found page.
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi3435

That vet, he is being payed to make those videos for pocket pets. He is not accurate. Pellets are not good for gliders digestive system and can cause health problems.

The Pricilla price diet is wonderful and my girls loved it. Here is a link with all the information about it with the recipe to make it. www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system. If you feed this diet you also need to buy the calcium supplement that is designed specifically for this diet and no other supplement should be used. It is sold on the website I listed.

Hope this all isn't too confusing as it was for me when I started

Information
Feb 01 2016
05:44:14 PM
I don't know too much about all his jazz and such but I know the info isn't accurate. When I first started out researching about gliders I watched his videos and actually almost bought al the pocket pets products until I found this page. I felt so lied to and betrayed. All the info was false and I was really mad. I'm very happy that you found this website and researched as many dont...

Sorry about the link it hasn't been working for me lately lol. Just search up thepetglider.com and find their "nutrition page" and read up on that.
Information
Feb 01 2016
05:56:40 PM
Also, until you get the ingredients to make the diet, feed him a scramble egg (without cheese) or boiled chicken or turkey, and a mix of fruits and veggies with a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio (or at least try as it is quite difficult). Yogurt can be fed as well. Plain and unsweetened. he will love the eggs guarantee
Information
Feb 22 2016
11:22:52 AM
hamby360 Starting Member 3 Posts
First of all DON'T feel stupid. Human doctors do the same thing with half the stuff they push and of course since it is "coming from a vet" it carries extra weight. One of the most simple diets is the BML www.bmldiet.com, another good one is the critterlove diet. Both of those have clear instructions and have worked well for me. I like the BML over the critter love because you can get everything at the grocery store except the vitamins and phosphorus free calcium. Both of those can be bought at petco/petsmart. You can buy them online but since I live close to a petco I save myself some shipping lol. Now nail trims, during the day while he is sleepy is the best time to do them, I give mine some mealie worms/yogis (yogis also found at petco, marketed for gerbils but we all use them) and then when he is sleepy I take a paw out, gently close the pouch around his paw and clip his nails. You may have to do a paw a day but that is OK. Wodent and hamster wheels can cause injury raptor, stealth and custom cruisers are all good wheels. A cage mate is a good thing! Just remember that two un fixed boys will fight. Best to have your boy fixed either way. Best of luck to you!! You can do it!
Information
Feb 29 2016
06:40:46 AM
Glendagtz Joey Visit Glendagtz's Photo Album 21 Posts
Hi I personally feed the priscilla price diet and think it's a very good diet for suggies.my boys where stained to a very brown color from a previous owner only feeding them pellets you could see pictures on my profile to see how they look now :) search up priscilla price diet on YouTube click on the video named how to feed a sugar glider - the pet glider diet the video explains everything you need to make your batch of food but you will have to get their calcium supplement online , also you can swith up the fruits and veggies I always make 2 batches with different fruits and veggies to give them something different every day .you can leave the pellets somewhere else just so he can much on something during the day and remove it when you feed him his food. just keep up what your doing and decide what diet suits you and Zadr best .

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders