Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How to make my glider want to come to me when it's out of the cage
Question
Feb 10 2016
10:08:45 AM
Hey! I've had my glider for a couple months now and bonding has progressed quite well but I'm wondering if I can do more. I work from home so she's usually sleeping on my lap in a beanie or in my pocket where she stays put during the day. Come night time I've started to let her out and explore my room while I'm on my laptop or watching tv. She comes to me when I open the cage and jumps onto my shoulder and will usually interact with me if I follower her around the room, but after sit down she tends to just want to explore usually in higher places.

Is there any tips or tricks I can use to make her want to come to me when she's out at night?

Cheers!
Question
Feb 10 2016
10:59:20 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Treats can be your best friend in this.

I use a small plastic box (from Dritz sewing pins) to hold a few yogies or pine nuts. I can shake the box while calling them and my gliders know I have treats to hand out. This gives them a signal to come to you - reinforced by a reward.

I have a few gliders that are greedy and want the WHOLE BOX to open themselves. I put one treat in the box and hand it over. They will wrestle with it until they get the treat.

The boxes can be found empty at JoAnn's fabric in the sewing notions department.
Question
Feb 10 2016
08:28:25 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
When I was first teaching my now bonded glider to come when called, I would walk over to her cage at night while she was awake and call her name and shake the treat bag. Once she came over I gave her a treat. I did this several times a night. I would wake up while sleeping or turning over in bed, I would call my gliders name, shake the bag, and then give a treat, then go back to sleep. I did this for a few weeks until the point where if I turn over in bed at night, she will jump over to the side of the cage and chirp at me like "hiiiii mom I'm here for my treat". It's the cutest thing.

When I do bathroom bonding, I shake the treat bag and call her name. She hops or glides right over to me, every time. It's a habit now, I call her name even without shaking the bag, and she comes over. Not for a treat, (well I'm sure she wants one every time ) but to be pet and loved on.

My new glider has picked it up as well. I walk over to their cage at night or if I wake up in bed, call kiwis name, she jumps over to the side of the cage, and Kona follows her. Just by Kona hearing kiwi munching on the piece of dried fruit, she has learned "oh, so this person says that word and it means treat and love." She will also follow kiwi in bathroom bonding when I call kiwi over. Kona hops right after her. She hasn't gotten comfortable enough to glide to me yet like kiwi does, but she will eventually

Hope this helped!!
Question
Feb 10 2016
08:31:57 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Usually at night when awake and active, they do not want to just sit with you. Ours will play in playroom which includes us. So we become part of the playground equipment. they will jump on us then off of us, then climb up us and climb down us. coming to us and staying only happens one way. If we open a mealworm container (or sometimes dried papaya bag.) then 3 out of the 4 will be on us like flies on ..... oops, you get my point. They will only go back to playing if they think all the mealworms are gone. Big mama is coming around, we have only had her 11 weeks, but soon I think it will be 4 gliders on us to get them mealies.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders