Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Coerce my gliders to breed?
Question
Feb 10 2016
02:17:52 PM
My gliders have been doing pretty well since my last post they seem really happy and I've gotten to the point with my glider snow that I can reach into her sack and grab her into my hands without much fuss at all. She even lets some petting if she's in the right mood. I can finally say I really enjoy being a glider owner. Ollie is sort of a lost cause in my book, because he really does not enjoy the attention of people. He seems perfectly content only socializing with snow but allows me to move/pet him when I need to so I'm happy with that atleast. They also have a pet mouse now that was a spur of the moment purchase meant to be food but they have not been able to successfully catch it and have in a way given up on eating it since it smells like a glider now...

My main concern at the moment though is they are on a correct diet with adequate fruit/veggies mixed in and have yet to successfully breed. They are in a pretty low stress environment now (maybe the mouse is abit of stress but i doubt it) and get plenty of attention. Is there anything I can do to get my gliders to breed? I ask this because I really want to see the process of them having babies. They are both of "age" and should be riding the train to baby town, but I haven't seen any signs as of yet.

Do some male/female gliders just not breed?

If this is possibly the case. I would like to look into getting ollie neutered because 95% of the smelly odors in the cage are because of Ollie. I'd rather have him neutered and keep them as normal pets then play the waiting game. This would make my life much easier because I clean the cage 2-3 times a week to keep the cage from smelling like ammonia death. (why would mother nature decide this was a great smell for an animal to make???)
Question
Feb 10 2016
02:30:56 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
One thing you may considere is that if your female never had joeys, she may lose a few before succesfully raise one (reaching the pouch for a newborn is not easy, especially if the female doesnt accept it, I saw my female eating her 1st joeys at birth, and she did not show sign of having joeys in pouch until 4 months later, then she raised a beautiful little girl named Sintel).

Other reasons could be that one of your glider may be sterile, or that they considere that the conditions are not good to raise joeys.
Question
Feb 10 2016
10:07:05 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
I clean the cage 2-3 times a week to keep the cage from smelling like ammonia death.

The male glider odor is not at all similar to Ammonia - An ammonia smell is usually due to accumulated urine in the cage.

What are you cleaning with? If you are using anything with chlorine bleach in it - THAT can cause an odor when it comes in contact with the urine - urine and bleach react to let off a hydrochloric acid smell.

If your gliders smell like ammonia - it may be due to too much protein in their diet.

What are you feeding your gliders?

If you want them to breed - I would remove the mouse. It may actually get in the way of a new born joey actually making it safely to the mother's pouch to continue its development.
Question
Feb 17 2016
09:47:11 AM
jujubee Joey 16 Posts

I haven't read any of your past posts, but,.. why on gods green earth do you even want them to breed? .. the mess I have been thru with gliders and babies so far, has been wretched.

Unless there is some splendid, specific glider line that your trying to complete... why not just be happy with them as your pets?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders