Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Need Help. Hair Growth?
Need Help. Hair Growth?
Health related
Apr 29 2016
06:43:49 AM
How long does it typically take for hair to grow back after over grooming?

How long does it take for hair to grow back in an area that has been wounded- For example, mating wounds, food aggression, and or glider introductions?

How often does it occur that the hair will not grow back?

Is coconut oil and other oils a bad idea to try to put on a glider?

If you apply a topical ointment like neosporin, should you make your glider wear a cone? or would that further stress your glider?

I ask, because due to one of my mistakes, my glider is slightly bald in a few areas....
Poor guy. As far as I know, he is not self mutilating, and the hair loss was caused by me. He's still a bit angry at me. Bits were pulled out. The skin also appears dry, from where I, very foolishly, tried to wash him a few times in water and dog oatmeal shampoo. I thought it might help him, but it definitely may have been part of the problem.
I'm considering, also, applying some sort of aloe base but wanted to hear opinions from people who have experienced some sort of glider hair loss before and how long it took before it healed?

He does not have wounds, and if he absolutely needs to, I will be taking him to the vet, but so far, he's just bald in a few areas I accidentally tugged hair out of...
Health related
Apr 29 2016
07:40:56 AM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
I know people on here have different opinions on this but my vet is very against e-collars for gliders since in order to stay on the collar has to be quite tight and it stresses them out too much. Also anything you put on topically the glider will ingest through grooming so once again my vet is against using these.
My little one's arm had to be shaved due to wound care and it took several weeks to grow back but it has now fully grown back and there is no sign of the shaving.
Health related
May 01 2016
02:52:18 PM
slyo Super Glider Visit slyo's Photo Album USA 331 Posts

I am worried he may have some sort of bacterial infection due to washing him. Ugh, thought washing out whatever was stuck to his fur would help but it seems to have irritated his skin.
I have been applying a topical vitamin C

Worried about applying anything else.

I hope his fur will grow back :(

Thank you for your input
Health related
May 01 2016
04:12:37 PM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
If you think there is an infection you should take him to see a vet asap for treatment
Need Help. Hair Growth?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Need Help. Hair Growth?