Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Re-do/ Possible Training/bonding mistakes
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2016
11:52:28 PM
I have 2 gliders at the moment Taz (male about 6-7 months old) and Zaboomafoo (female 3 months old) and have had difficulties with training, Taz in particular.

Despite bonding pouch and treats and diffrent catching methods neither willingly stay with us or come to us. Taz crabs whenever he sees me or if I move the pouch when in cage. Zaboomafoo won't crab at all but won't stay with us either.

Do we just need more time or have we made a mistake training? If we did make a mistake is there a way to "re-train" so they will come to us/stay on us willingly? Any advice will help and be appriciated!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 01 2016
01:27:16 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
sounds like you could use a bonding room/tent. could be bathroom or walk in closet. someplace to give them a chance to run around but not far from you, this will cause them to walk on you and check you out. The more time you do the more they will get to know you close up.
and all gliders bond at different rate, some much longer, some short.

My wife would take sleeping pouch out of tent and sit on couch with it, but hand in pouch (fist) and take a few bites, then the glider would sleep with her hand/scent in their pouch.
you could put scented shirt on/in cage, or small fleece with your scent on it in pouch.

so in the end, I'm not sure all the stuff you are doing, but it does sound like you are missing lots of bonding tricks. Its about getting the gliders to know you and trust you. lots of close up time.

my play/bonding room

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Jul 01 2016 01:28:16 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders