Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting
Biting
Question
Jul 05 2016
02:44:51 AM
So I've had my gliders for about a year now and one (Penny) is very bonded to me and the other (Sydney) is somewhat bonded. Sydney hardly ever crabs at me and she isn't aggressive but when we have playtime each night without fail she always bites me a few times. Usually she'll be running around and just come back to me do a quick bite and run back off. It doesn't hurt most of the time but I'm not sure what the issue is. These are the first gliders I've ever had so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Question
Jul 05 2016
03:45:44 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
These gliders are strange creatures, lol.

There are many, many reasons gliders will bite. From what you described, Sydney sounds like a nipper. Nipping usually occurs more so, in my experience, after they are more bonded or comfortable with you and either don't like something you are doing, or you have due to a scent picked up on you. But sometimes there are the nippy gliders. I have a boy who is like that. It may calm down over time still, I think my boy is getting a bit better with it. I'm not sure if it's a testing nip, but from how you described Sydney, it sounds like it's basically she's a nipper. Try tsk tsk or hiss at her when she does that, like they use for correcting, that may help.
Question
Jul 05 2016
04:09:15 PM
Rocky22518 Starting Member VA, USA 3 Posts
Lol yes they definitely are strange little creatures. I thought she might be testing but as I said I'm still a very new glider parent so I wasn't sure. It almost seems like she's playing but I haven't read anything about them play biting but like you said I could just have a nippy baby. She's always been the more stand offish one so maybe as she gets more bonded she'll stop nipping my hands and toes lol.
Biting

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting