Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fur color change?
Fur color change?
Health related
Jul 10 2016
10:04:04 AM
Hey everyone.. Newish mama here. First my story and then a question. So, I've had my sugar gliders about 6 months. Unfortunately, I believed the people I got them from when they told me that feeding them an Apple slice and their special pellets was all they would need. They stressed that "everyone will tell you that you need hard to follow diets, but really, this is all you need" .. Luckily, I did some research anyway and I've been giving them fresh veggies and fruit since I got them. Things were great for awhile, but within the past month or so I've noticed that their fur is no longer fluffy, shiny and grey.. but dull and rust colored. I thought maybe they were just dirty. So I wiped them with a warm, damp cloth but that wasn't it either. I've been reading all these boards and have decided maybe they just need more protein?

My question is, has anyone had their glider's fur do this before? Does it really mean something is wrong? What did you do to help?

[center]
Health related
Jul 10 2016
11:19:32 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We have been told darker and yellowish color can be a sign of a poor diet.
You have a staple (protein/calcium/vitamins) and veggie and fruit side with most diets. Some of your first gliders turned lighter gray and whiter on bottom the yellowing went away.
We believe this is because we feed them a good Ohpw and fruit/veggie diet.

A vet would also be a good place to go if your really concerned. A wellness visit for us is about $90
Health related
Jul 10 2016
11:39:59 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
welcome to the forum!

your gliders fur is brown because of poor diet. you need to start researching a staple nectar diet to feed nightly alongside fruits and veggies.

another factor is that their cage is not being cleaned regularly.

Edited by - kiwi3435 on Jul 10 2016 11:44:32 AM
Fur color change?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fur color change?