Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar glider railroad
Glider help new parent
Glider help new parent
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2016
01:43:35 AM
So I'm new to the site and somewhat new to the glider world. I've had a female sugar glider named mila for about 5 months now and it's been going great she's bonded with me but about 2 or 3 weeks ago I realized she wouldn't want to eat unless I was in front of her petting her while she ate and would rarely come out of her pouch unless I took her out to play I took this as a sign of loneliness and so 2 days ago I bought a 7 month old sugar glider from a family who did not want it anymore. I introduced the two which went bad on day 1 and now on day 2 they sleep in the same pouch but I'm worried they could change there minds and maybe harm each other. I'd like to know as much as possible on being a new parent and what I must do now with the new one. Some important info I should mention is that mila eats apples, dried papaya, and a BML diet at night. The family I got the new glider from said they only fed there glider ( which is also a girl don't know if I mentioned that) apples. The new glider is still not bonded to me obviously but don't know how that affects its relationship with mila. And what scares me is that the new glider came from a family of 3 gliders ( a sister and a mom) and they both died and the family didn't know why, the living conditions of the new glider wasn't great when they gave her to me they seemed not to care much. I know this a lot of information but I would love help from anyone who knows anything I'm missing or not doing right. P.S having trouble picking a name for the new one
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2016
08:28:06 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
The first thing you should do is take both your gliders to a vet for a check up. You don't know the exact living conditions of your new glider. Before introducing a new glider it is recommended to do a 30 day quarantine. Gliders can get parasites so you need to make sure the new glider doesn't infect your glider. The process is called a fecal float/smear. They check the stool once then again in 30 days. If your glider gets a clean bill of health then you can begin the introduction process.

But you've already introduced them so, just make sure both gliders are healthy.

Usually gliders don't become friends right away. You need to keep them in separate cages and swap their pouches and toys over time. That will get them used to each other's scent. Then during the day when they are tired. Take them to a neutral area. Most people use a bathtub, and put the gliders together. Hopefully they will be nice to each other and want to sleep in the same pouch.

But your gliders have already met. So for now keep a close eye out for them to make sure they don't fight. Just be aware there are cases of gliders not getting along no matter what you do. These cases are few and far between but just be aware of it.

As for your diet, the BML is good but you need to also give them the recommended fruit and veggies, every night. That diet is high in calcium I believe and you need fruits and veggies high in phosphorus to balance it out.

I don't know the exact fruits and veggies but I do know they get corn and peas.

Also try varying the fruit, gliders will get sick of getting the same produce every day. Try fresh papaya, cantaloupe, watermelon, mango, peaches, plums, etc. (no citrus fruit and dried fruit should only be a treat)

Do some research on this website, it will give you the list of produce you should give your glider while on bml. You can also find a list of names to choose from for your gliders too.

Your new glider should be happy with a new buddy and should like the new food, give her a couple days to adjust, she might not eat well at first, don't worry about it, she should come around.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2016
02:43:25 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a VET that knows gliders well, and get a visit scheduled.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 12 2016
01:53:55 PM
Acx7013 Starting Member 0 Posts
thanks for the advice I have since taken my gliders to the vet and now they have been separated and are both on medication because the vet said they have gahardia or something like that once they recover I will slowly put them back together. A major problem now is diet I have no clue what to feed them and it's killing me for now it's just been pellets and apples but I know that's not okay so if someone could just recommend an easy diet where I could buy all the stuff at the local store then even better I made the BML diet one and feed them just that but I'm not sure it that was enough.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 12 2016
02:52:51 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Most recognized glider diets call for fruits and vegetables on the side.I use OHPW and haven't used BML so I couldn't tell you exactly how it works. Check the Gliderpedia for diet info.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 12 2016
04:56:58 PM
Acx7013 Starting Member 0 Posts
How long have you been using ophw and how are your gliders? And also what's your feeding routine?
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 12 2016
09:02:41 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I have been using OHPW for more than a year now, maybe 2 years. They get 1T for 2 gliders plus 1T fruits and 1T vegetables each. I get it from The Pampered Glider. They always eat all their staple and usually pick over their fruits and vegetables.

I try to put their plates in the cages around 7pm. One of my girls, the smallest one, comes out to eat about a half an hour before the others so she gets first pick of the veggies! She is also the most active, she is the only one still awake when I get up in the morning.

My 2 girls are 5 1/2 years old and the two boys are about 3 years old. They are probably a little chubby, but never any health problems.
Glider help new parent

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar glider railroad
Glider help new parent