Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Turning spare shower into glider cage.
Research Information
Aug 15 2016
11:03:26 AM
So. I never use my second shower and ive been researching bigger cages. Wow are they expensive for such a small area...
That being said im looking for tips or do's and don't on turning a spare shower into a huge cage for my fur-bats. Thanks
Research Information
Aug 15 2016
07:12:09 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Well, I wouldn't know exactly what all the dos and dont's would be, but I suggest getting a game plan as to how you enclose it and create a habitat that is functional and easy to keep clean using glider-safe materials.

Plan on having options as to the design, so if something doesn't pan out, you have some back up ideas to work with.

So I guess step one, unless someone who has done this successfully can give you some advice, would be to figure out how to enclose the space and create a climbing space that is very well ventilated. Then search for the glider-safe materials to create it.
Research Information
Aug 16 2016
10:56:10 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Interesting concept. The drain would need secured, you would need to install some hardware mesh so they are able to climb and have foot holds.

Off the top of my head one concern would be caulk, most shower stalls/bathtubs have some caulking, older caulking can peel back easily and be chewed on. Gliders will find any flaw and work at it, this could pose some health issues. Caulk is not used on glider wheels or toys not even fish tank sealer is used for gliders.

Now if your talkin tile, you have grout, grout will absorb urine and isn't the easiest to clean in normal circumstances.

The concept isn't a bad one, and would likely be easy to clean if you have a hand held shower head but there are some things to consider in order to make it a glider safe environment. I can probably come up with some other concerns that would need addressed after I've had coffees lol
Research Information
Aug 24 2016
07:33:30 PM
Tadrith Starting Member 2 Posts
thanks for the input so far, I'm lucky because its a 1-piece molded shower, so there are no caulking seams and no tile. it has a screw in stainless steel drain so she cant lift it. I have used the vinyl 1/2 mesh for her cage before and she didn't chew or destroy that. so I'm confident I can use that for the wall and roof. the shower assembly is a handheld sprayer so it will be INSANELY easy to clean, I will just have to rout the hose so it remains outside the cage. any ideas on lighting? the bathroom its in has (4) 100w fluorescent bulbs in it I think ill need to tone that down a bit lol.

thanks all

-Tad
Research Information
Aug 24 2016
09:38:50 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I use a red light bulb in my glider room at night. It doesn't bother them at all, but I can just barely see them. I think I need a second lamp.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders