Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Glider Parent
New Glider Parent
Information
Aug 25 2016
08:12:09 PM
I just recently received two sugar gliders that were being passed from person to person (long story short something came up with the original owner and she had to give them away, then everyone following didn't realize how much work it would be and gave them away until they finally came to live with me). I want to build them a cage and was wondering whats a good size? Through some research I've found that it needs to be tall, but does width matter so much? The material I'm using as the "cage" part comes in 2ft x 5ft sections so I was just planning on making it 2x2x5. Is that big enough for 2 gliders? Also any tips for a newbie would be extremely appreciated! I've only had them for about a week but I love every second with them.
Information
Aug 26 2016
11:34:45 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
for a cage I prefer bigger is better, specially if you don't think you will let them out a lot. If you plan to let them out most nights and let them run around the , say the bedroom, then a smaller cage is ok. lets say they are in your bedroom in a smaller cage, they sleep all day so cage size is not to much a problem, then at night you watch tv in your bedroom and glider proof the room and let them have 2 or 3 hour to run around.
There is several webpages that give out suggested cage size per glider, I just don't remember where its at. At exotic nutrition they say 2 x 2 x 3 for 2 gliders minimum size and taller is preferred.

I have had gliders 1.5 years and we are at 8 of them now. The best suggestion I can make is to understand each one is different and they will all bond differently, some faster some maybe REALLY slowly. For a year now we have had an adult female, big mama came to us a big biter and very anti social. she is still anti social but will come to us for treats and doesn't bite if I scoop her up (only way to get her since she wont get on my hand by herself.) I can put her on my shoulder, but she will only want to go back to cage. We got sophie at the same time, she has been a lovable people lover since day one and still is that way.
So take your time, be consistent, don't give up, and look for baby steps if things go slow.
New Glider Parent

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Glider Parent