Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New momma bonding question!
Question
Aug 29 2016
10:39:17 PM
Hi, I'm back! I have had my gliders for 3 days now. I want to know when I should start bonding and how? I have already cut strips up and put them in their pouches so they can get used to my smell. I already have give them some treats daily by hand and I also took them out when they were in the pouch sleeping and laid it on my lap and rubbed the outside of it, the male was the only one who crabbed twice. Once he crabbed when I sneezed lol and another was when I touched him. He did manage to jump out the pouch and start running all over my room out of curiosity and it was not fun chasing him to put him back. Luckily though he didn't bite or crab during it. It might of set back bonding though I don't know. Anyways the female was really shy at first but she never really crabbed. When I had them on my lap tonight in their pouch I managed to softly pet her and she noticed but didn't crab or make any noise or lunge to bite so I am actually pretty happy beings that it is only the third day. I think she might be the one to bond with me first but hey who knows. anyway, I would love some bonding tips and when to actually start. Also how on earth am I going to get them into the bonding pouch if they are sleeping somewhere in the cage in their pouches or sleeping in their cube?
Question
Aug 30 2016
06:38:15 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations!! Sounds like the bonding has already begun! It's an ongoing process and it sounds like you're doing a great job already (petting them, getting them to take treats from you, and also getting them used to your scent). And like you said, it's only the third day. I had to laugh about one of them crabbing when you sneezed, lol. I remember the early days when my female would run away from me. She was absolutely terrified at first, but eventually learned to trust me. Our roles have reversed and HER chasing ME around the room has quickly become our favorite game. I found that carrying them around in their bonding pouch as much as possible was one of the best things to do to help with bonding. Sometimes I would turn their bonding pouch inside out and with my hand inside (like a glove), I would reach inside their cage and gently scoop them up. Or I would remove their pouch from inside their cage and put it close to their bonding pouch. The transition is often easier if they are sleeping. Many people like to designate a small room (like a bathroom...toilet lid closed) for playtime and to give gliders a chance to have a little freedom and to crawl on you. There are also tents that you can purchase for this purpose as well. Wishing you many years of glider joy!
Question
Aug 30 2016
10:27:21 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Personally I like to establish a routine with my new gliders. A daily ritual.

I take the sleep pouch out of the cage, I don't use cubes because new to you gliders are crabby usually and it's difficult to get them out of those small entry hole type of pouches. I use sleep pouches with a wide open top that I can flip inside out if need be.

I take the sleep pouch out of the cage, and offer them a bonding bag. I manipulate the bottom of the sleep pouch with one hand to encourage them to want out of it, and want into the bonding bag. I don't mean roughly, just wiggle your fingers underneath the glider from the underside of the pouch. After a day or two of this they see the bonding bag and just walk into it.

It may take you longer than a day or two and that's fine, don't put a time frame on things.

I do this at the same time, everyday, so the glider starts to understand that when I open the cage at that time, this is what is going to happen. They learn the routine quickly.

IF for some reason this method doesn't work. holding the underside of the pouch push the glider up to the top of the pouch so they are more exposed then offer the bonding bag, they will likely dive right in it.

There is another method, but unless I see your bonding bag I don't like to suggest it. Pictures help

As I mentioned abouve, personally I would remove the cube until your gliders walk into the bonding bag when it's offered. Those cubes can be frustrating and cause undue stress when in the early stages of building your friendship with the glider.
The goal is to show them you can be trusted, you respect their cage, pouch, them as individuals. Fumbling with a cube or hidey pouch kind of defeats the purpose, make it easier on yourself and them. Use pouches that are easy for you to handle and get them out of.

I rarely just pick my gliders up and put them in a bonding bag, they have legs, and I like them to go into whatever I offer them on their own terms, rather than me forcing them. Now I can offer them anyyyyyyyyyyyy kind of pouch, bonding bag, bonding scarf, whatever it may be and they all walk into on their own. Less stress on me and them.

Take your time, you will find what works for you and them.
Question
Aug 30 2016
11:37:05 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Ha! That cube reminds me of when I was experimenting sewing different pouches. I made a Christmas stocking out of a small scrap of fleece and my girls LOVED it. The only problem was that the top opening was JUST big enough for them to crawl in. I couldn't look in to see them and I couldn't get them out either because they were curled up in the toe. Needless to say, I removed that pouch at the first opportunity!
Question
Aug 30 2016
02:02:39 PM
Sugarbabies48 Joey 13 Posts
I recommend getting a screen tent, like this one linked:

HERE

At first, I would hold a pouch in their cage and they usually would hop right in it. Then I'd take the pouch into the tent and offer them treats and head rubs. They slowly will start coming out and hopping around the tent. Once you're ready to put them back in the cage- offer them the pouch again and they'll typically run into it.
News
Aug 30 2016
04:02:50 PM
Ambie99 Starting Member 5 Posts
Yeah, I took out the cube. But today I successfully got them into the bonding pouch for the first time without much of a struggle. I had them in it for 4 hours and then I put them back into the cage. Even though the female hopped out and I had to chase her around my room too. They are very quick but luckily she didn't have a problem with me handing her to put her back into the cage and she lets me pet her. So I'd say I am making progress. Now I have to figure out a schedule between school and work during the day to have them in the bonding pouch. Sigh. Anyways. Thank you for the replies guys! And thanks for the link for the tent, I am getting a tent and feather teaser this weekend. I am way too hype to start tent time! I have one more random question to throw out there, what do you guys clean your pouches with? Just hot water? Or do you add fabric softner?

Edited by - Ambie99 on Aug 30 2016 04:04:39 PM
Question
Aug 31 2016
06:20:21 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
If I'm hand washing, I use Dawn dishwashing detergent. By machine, I usually use unscented laundry detergent. No fabric softener though (liquid or sheets). Many gliders are sensitive to scents.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders