Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gettting my sugar glider a friend?
Behavior
Aug 30 2016
04:26:52 AM
So recently I took on a sugar glider who was in urgent need of a home. He is 7 months Old and is not neutered. He started barking last night and I assumed it was because he was trying to call other sugar gliders?

Anyway I want to save up to get him neutered and to get another glider. I have the space and time more another. I was thinking of getting the other one when my current one turns 1 or 2 years old. Would it be ok to wait until he's 2 to get one? I spend 7 hours with him in my pocket and then maybe half an hour playing with him unless he wakes up earlier.
Behavior
Aug 30 2016
05:54:54 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition! I would agree that focussing on getting your male neutered should be your first priority. After that, looking into getting a friend for him will surely be a great gift for both of you. It sounds like you spend a lot of time with him which goes a long way in the bonding process. While most people in the glider community will tell you that gliders do better with at least one companion, I can only draw from my own experience. I adopted a single glider and had her for 7 months before thinking of adopting another. I knew that bonding and spending a lot of time with her was extremely important and I was able to bring her with me everywhere I went (work, restaurants, appointments, movies, etc.). I was concerned about her well being, especially because she was a single glider. Our vet (specializing in exotic animals) assured me that she was doing great and seemed very healthy, tame, and well adjusted. The few times she has barked was in the middle of the night and as soon as I would call out to her she would stop (they often do this because they are scared and need reassurance, as well as calling out like you mentioned). There are clues to look for to see if your glider is lonely (excessive grooming and self mutilation for instance). It's great news that you are considering getting another one. Until you are ready, keep a close eye on him, spend as much time as you can together, and enjoy the special relationship you have. It sounds like you're doing a great job!
Behavior
Aug 30 2016
10:00:20 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Nice post Tiakristin3

I'd like to just say gliders won't self mutilate from simply being a lone glider. Self mutilation happens when the glider is experiencing pain and tries to remove the source of the pain. It is not a sign of loneliness or depression. It's a common misconception and I once thought the same thing.

Barking happens for many reasons. many many reasons, and sometimes for reasons we don't understand yet.

Calling a mate, alerting there is a cage escape, loud noise startled them, the moon, in heat, hears something we can't hear, check in to see where the others in their colony are, barometric pressure change, a storm coming, attention seeking, demanding treats from the human, sometimes they just bark cause they can.

It's a normal verbal communication for gliders. Nothing to be concerned about it's just how they talk. If it were simply because of loneliness gliders in colonies wouldn't bark. It's their language how they communicate to each other and sometimes us too.

I have single intact 8 month old male, who barked at me last week, in a different tone, it was deeper than his usual bark. I even said that to him, whats wrong buddy you sound different tonight.... well the next morning I found out what he was telling me.

HE was not happy with me because I forgot to put his food plate in his cage. He was telling me "MOM WHERES MY DINNER" " GET MY FOOD!" "MOOOOOOOOM"

first time in 2 years my feeding routine got interrupted, all the other cages got their plates and somehow I missed his cage. I found his plate, full of food on the kitchen counter the next morning afterr I tried collecting dirty plates from the cages and didn't find his.

He was fine, but he tried to tell me I skipped him and I didn't understand him.

Don't stress about getting a cage mate till your ready, it can be a lot of work getting two gliders together. Introductions can be stressful to say the least. In the mean time, research introductions, how to prepare the gliders for their introductions. Research what all you will need as far as another cage etc for the second glider. Ask people who have done some introductions, what methods they used, was the intro successful, did the gliders get a long long term or did they have to be separated... It can be a big undertaking, so prepare for it in advance.

I do agree with getting him neutered, then giving him a month or two for his hormones to drop after the neuter before any intro.

I don't feel there is ANY reason you need to wait until he is 1 or 2 years old. Gliders can be introduced to another at any age. By any reason I mean in regards to the glider.

If YOU have reasons like, you can't get him neutered yet, or can't afford a cage mate, a 2nd cage, a 2nd wheel, a 2nd cage set, a 2nd bonding bag those are valid reasons to wait.

Congrats on your new baby, sounds like your doing just fine with him and give him lots of attention, and lots of your time.

Edited by - Leela on Aug 30 2016 10:07:40 AM
Behavior
Aug 31 2016
06:58:00 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Thank you Leela!

And thanks for the clarification. I was told that self mutilation was common in lone and/or depressed gliders. Therefore, it's one of the things I was looking for in my single glider (and fortunately never found).

It makes sense that barking is their way of communicating. There are many reasons it is helpful that our gliders are able to communicate with us (such as your experience).

Also, I appreciated what you said about not feeling stressed about getting another glider until one is ready for that. I know that I was feeling pressured into getting another one because others were suggesting my single one would be better off. Having any pet is a big responsibility and commitment and should be taken seriously and not rushed. While our glider's well being is of utmost importance, they depend on us to make wise decisions for all concerned.
Behavior
Sep 14 2016
04:56:17 AM
SugarSweet23 Joey 43 Posts
Thanks guys!I'll make sure I continue to spend a lot of time with him

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders