GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Female Glider Hair Loss
Female Glider Hair Loss
Health related
Sep 12 2016
04:35:41 PM
Hello all!

So, I've had my girl Zoey for 5 years as of yesterday, and her cage mate Zazoo for 3 years now. Both have always gotten alone fine with one another - with the exception of some bickering in the middle of the night, but that's nothing unusual for them.

Recently, however, I have noticed some hair loss on Zoey's back. I haven't noticed any excessive itching, and Zazoo has absolutely no hair loss. I've put just a small amount of olive oil on her balding patches hoping to soothe any dry skin, but does anyone happen to have any ideas as to why this is happening all of the sudden?

Zoey is still eating well and has always been much larger in size than Zazoo. I've noticed some weight gain on Zazoo (which has been requested by our vet as she was significantly smaller.) I'm wondering if Zazoo is trying to take dominance and perhaps its stressing Zoey out?

No over grooming has been observed by either of them, and cage conditions have been static for several years. They are in a cage that's about 4-1/2 feet tall by 2-1/2 feet wide (give or take). So I'm having a hard time distinguishing any new stresses in their environment as there really are none.

I've also noticed Zazoo sleeping in a Keurig k-cup box I've put in their cage to play in rather than sleeping in the hammock with Zoey. From what I've read, gliders will kick a sick glider out of their colony, and I fear this may be occurring within their cage.

I understand that getting them to the vet should take priority, but I cannot find any immediate, severe illness/concerns that would require that just yet as she's still the little piggy she's always been and her waste excretions look very normal. She's still my little diva haha.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Health related
Sep 12 2016
04:38:11 PM
cprhode Joey Visit cprhode's Photo Album 14 Posts
Oh! And I would also like to add that they are on the BML diet. BML mixture and veggies are always eaten, but they hardly ever touch their fruit. And, of course, they eat corn like its candy.
Health related
Sep 12 2016
08:06:32 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Pics of the missing fur would help to determine if it is over grooming or if if it's due to them fighting or some other reason.

If she is sleeping on the floor of the cage that is cause enough to get her to the vet asap for a wellness exam and fecals.

Health related
Sep 12 2016
10:47:23 PM
cprhode Joey Visit cprhode's Photo Album 14 Posts

Health related
Sep 13 2016
07:33:44 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Ok that isn't typical hair loss we usually see, in a place we usually see it.

Pics of the cage, and what is in the cage as well.

Potentially could be from the pair fighting or the glider rubbing on something in the cage that is pulling hair out.
Female Glider Hair Loss

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Female Glider Hair Loss