Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
single mommy???
single mommy???
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 28 2016
09:33:51 AM
So I recently adopted a female... Who I was told rejected her first baby. Whelp.... She has a baby in the pouch. Baby is noticeable but not yet the size of a peanut. Ive been reading alot and read that a single mother will often reject her baby out of stress and exhaustion. I have the opportunity to get her old mate / father of baby. But Im worried about him killing baby... Either by not realizing baby is his or stess himself. Also I would have to get him neutered... Soooo... My question is should I get him?? Would it help with her having a baby or make it worse?? I want the baby to have the best chance possible. Im going to keep it if it survives and neuter if its a boy asap. Im just trying to figure out the best way to give the baby the best chance at life. I will say momma is on HPW diet with extra fruits and veggies and since I realized theres a baby in her pouch shes been getting about 6 super worms a day as well.She absolutely LOVES them and devours them. She spends alot of time with me ( in my shirt ) and Ill sit with her for a long while at night.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 28 2016
02:52:22 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I don't know how many breeding experts post on this site, I'm not one at all.
I have read that fathers are very helpful in raising babies and very important in raising babies.
But the stress of introductions if the female already has a baby sounds risky.
I would recommend finding a few expert breeders to answer your question. You could look for a breeder website and maybe post directly to them.
The pet glider in texas is a big popular breeder, so is critterlove.com owner.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 28 2016
03:32:36 PM
Crazy_Glider Joey Visit Crazy_Glider's Photo Album 14 Posts
I know fathers help take care of the baby by keeping it warm when momma has to go out to eat and rest. If she doesn't get her "alone" time i've heard they may reject the joey. But the stress of intruducing a new glider is also a problem and may cause rejection. I do recommend talking to a breeder, but in my non-breeder-opinion maybe getting a heating pad to keep baby warm when mom leaves to forrage would help, or watch over the joey/keep them warm yourself when mom goes out if you have the time to do that.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 28 2016
03:48:18 PM
SugarLyn Starting Member 4 Posts
Is it really " introducing " when he was her mate. They havent seen each other in about a month.... Byt the male i can get IS the babies biological dad
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 28 2016
04:32:45 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SugarLyn

Is it really " introducing " when he was her mate. They havent seen each other in about a month.... Byt the male i can get IS the babies biological dad

IF they can recognize each others scent and be friendly from the first reintroduction then I think that wouldn't be a problem, but should get the
opinion of a breader, I don't know how long apart before they forget scents. and don't know how long the mom and dad were together.
We got our first gliders and found out two or more is better, so we got the cage mate about 2 weeks later, and they got right back together with no problems after 2 weeks apart.

I personally would NOT recommend a heat rock under ANY circumstance. I have only read they are bad for warm blooded gliders and can throw off the natural body heat system and can be very dangerous. BUT again I would prefer you get a breeders thoughts on any need for a heat rock at the end of the day for a mom with baby.
single mommy???

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
single mommy???