Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket pets trickery
Pocket pets trickery
Question
Sep 29 2016
11:58:00 PM
I recently bought my suggie. Rocket. I am absolutely in love with him. However I was tricked by pocket pets, and now have no idea where to begin with him. I am worried sick and have been somewhere between crying and unable to breath worried about my baby. He has no friends. I was told he would be happy alone. I am going to take him to a vet in hopes they can give me expert advice. But while I am waiting for an appointment. Please give me some advice. Thank you
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 30 2016
12:07:26 AM
Bernakac Joey Visit Bernakac's Photo Album 11 Posts

This is me and rocket

Edited by - Bernakac on Sep 30 2016 12:09:03 AM
Question
Sep 30 2016
12:19:05 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Hello, Rocket is a cute little thing ;)

My 1st advice would be to try to relax, gliders sense stress and pick up on it.

Since he is a lone glider, try to keep him entertained as much as possible by spending a lot of time with him and putting a lot of toys in his cage to keep him stimulated while you are sleeping.

Did you pick up a diet for him already?
Question
Sep 30 2016
12:54:37 AM
I am not sure 100 percent what he is supposed to eat, I've only had him a month or so. And he's been eating the diet pocket pets told me to give him. The pellets and apples. The vitamins. That's it
Question
Sep 30 2016
07:11:00 AM
Minadog77 Glider Visit Minadog77's Photo Album 59 Posts
I would use The Pet Glider diet for them www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system. You should also look into getting him a friend. Most likely PP didnt give you a big enough cage, so I would advise getting a bigger one. Exotic nutrition has fairly priced cages. You should also get a cage set for them, they usually have some on esty or amazon.
Question
Sep 30 2016
03:50:55 PM
ShyMayahMom Joey 15 Posts
I personally would suggest researching diets to see what would suit you best. There are several others out there. I currently feed mine OHPW (Thepamperedglider.com) and there is also BML (BMLdiet.com) and Critterlove Plus and Complete (Critterlove.com) plus a number of others. I think those 3 tend to be the most popular. I'm switching mind to CLComplete because it's the easiest and most convenient for travel, which we do a lot of.

Here is a list of diets to review

www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Care_and_Information/Diet_and_Nutrition/index.html

If you're feeding a pellet, I would stop that right away. You can make due with yogurt, scrambled eggs or chicken and a mix of fruits and veggies (careful on corn and NO chocolate, onions, garlic or rhubarb) until you decide which one you want.

If it's possible for you to have another glider, you can usually find them at a rescue for a much more reasonable price than from a breeder if cost is an issue. I would highly recommed a friend. If you cannot, then LOTS of love and attention. :)

Edited by - ShyMayahMom on Sep 30 2016 03:55:03 PM
Question
Sep 30 2016
04:25:19 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
All vegetables of the allium genus are poisonous for gliders, so onions, garlic, leeks, Chives, scallions must not be given.

Pellets are not a good food source since they are not adapted to their digestive system, however they can be used as an extra snack in case the glider wakes up during the day.

If you were given "glider gravy" with the pellets, it's the same as Critter Love, which is an instant HPW diet (but I guess it would be cheaper to buy critter love directly rather than buying the rebranded PP package)

Edited by - sjusovare on Sep 30 2016 04:28:11 PM
Question
Sep 30 2016
09:34:36 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I'm sure PP told you to use the heat rock and heat lamp, but the heat rock especially is not safe. I got rid of mine 3 years ago! If you give him a fleece pouch and a couple of little blankets he will be warm enough without becoming dehydrated. If you don't sew, there is a youtube tutorial for a no-sew sleeping pouch or you can order cage sets online. They usually like to sleep high up in the cage, not on the bottom on a rock!

Congratulations of your new friend!
Question
Sep 30 2016
11:15:59 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Bernakac

I am not sure 100 percent what he is supposed to eat, I've only had him a month or so. And he's been eating the diet pocket pets told me to give him. The pellets and apples. The vitamins. That's it

take a deep breath and relax.

You can feed him the PP diet for awhile with NO problem, I would go very lightly on the sprinkle vitamins, that method(sprinkle) is very uneven.

NOW take your time and look up some good and healthy diets. I would recommend either Ohpw (with wombaroo or the critterlove version.) OR BML for a diet, but other good ones are around.

Trash the heat rock right away DO NOT USE IT.

said by an expert long time glider owner, "dogs are pack animals but humans own just one and they do fine, we become their pack. IF you can spend a lot of time with your glider, they should be fine." This glider owner even said they have one glider that would only fight with other gliders and after three tries she just let the glider be alone.

Also give plenty of toys and such to keep them happy while you are sleeping.

If you can afford it a second glider can be added later, if you want or feel your glider would be better with a friend.

BUT start by relaxing, your glider is fine, just visit the vet for a wellness visit.
Question
Oct 01 2016
01:30:59 AM
I am going to take him to the vet on Monday. And hopefully she will have some information for me on diet. I have made him some blanket out of an old sweater. It's fleece and it sooo soft. I also gave him some milk rings. I bought a wheel at Walmart until I can get him a better one.
Is felt ok? I'm not really certain. But I know fleece is
Question
Oct 01 2016
01:46:39 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Bernakac

I am going to take him to the vet on Monday. And hopefully she will have some information for me on diet. I have made him some blanket out of an old sweater. It's fleece and it sooo soft. I also gave him some milk rings. I bought a wheel at Walmart until I can get him a better one.
Is felt ok? I'm not really certain. But I know fleece is

the thing about fleece, as I understand it, it has a very tight thread
pattern, so the gliders nails are less likely to get stuck. We use anti-pill fleece. You don't want their nail getting stuck, they can pull it off.

You maybe better with NO wheel then a bad wheel. a wheel with a center and cause them to get hurt, gliders jump and run, so they can jump into the center then hurt themselves. Some plastic ones are two pieces so their nails can get stuck in the small joint, just like in a hamster ball, those small joints are bad.

I would suggest using a diet from the list on the following website

sugarglider.info/staple-diets/
Question
Oct 01 2016
08:51:32 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My take on fleece is that the weave is loose enough that their nail seldom get stuck. Also it is very breathable so they can sleep comfortable without suffocating.

If you can't find the fleece by the yard, Walmart sells thin fleece throws for $2.88. You can cut it up and make lots of blankets, pouches, braided vines and hammocks. The edges won't unravel and there are no loose threads to get their toes caught in.
Pocket pets trickery

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket pets trickery