Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
New owners!! BONDING?
New owners!! BONDING?
Question
Nov 14 2016
02:10:11 AM
Just adopted two males from a lady that never really handled themy and wasnot really descriptive of their behavior and didn't know their age expected that they might be a little over a year. Which made me want to save them even more.

I've done my research and THANKFULLY I FOUND THIS SITE. DUE TO POCKET PETS COMPANY BEING VERY MISLEADING IN INFO.

Now, I've given them a 2-3 days to get used to the new environment in THEIR ORIGINAL cage, WHILE letting them smell us through the bars. They tried to grab us through the bars,GENTLY OF COURSE, with the occasional nip, which is normal I'm assuming, probably just testing their environment. We are being careful not to react to it, to try and show they can trust us. AND now I'm wondering if it would OK to start taking the pouch out during the day and wearing it whIle their sleeping. Or if I need to give them a little more time.

Also any tricks or treats to speed up bonding that might help?

Any and all ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

EXTREMELY EXCITED CAN'T WAIT TO POST THEIR PROGRESS!!

Question
Nov 14 2016
07:12:09 AM
Fluffbuttsmomma Glider Gliderpedia Editor Visit Fluffbuttsmomma's Photo Album FL, USA 122 Posts
Doing the pouch thing is a wonderful way of bonding (as we all know) and it's great but I think while you wait to do that take an old t shirt, wear it or just sleep with it then either drape it over the cage or do what I did and cut a few slivers of fleece (with your scent all over it) and put it in their pouch so they can associate your smell with sleep and peace. The pouch COULD stress them if they start crabbing excessively; BUT, crabbing is totally normal and expected during the bonding process

if they crab just ignore it. if they crab when you pet them through the pouch or just whatever, JUST IGNORE IT AND CONTINUE
Question
Nov 14 2016
09:33:59 AM
Dav0615 Starting Member 6 Posts
We put our shirts in their cage on day one. Was that two early?

Thanks, this was very helpful.
Didn't realize someone would respond so quickly! This site is amazing!
Question
Nov 14 2016
07:11:47 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would start with a zippered up pouch not an open pouch. after they stop crabbing so much and calm down then you can take them out in sleeping pouch. you dont want them jumping out and running off.
putting your shirt in on day one shouldn't be a problem. BUT.. I'm thinking since they have been around humans but not bonded they could be slower to bond, of course they could be less fearful of you and bond faster too. you just have to see how jumpy and scared they are of you.
Question
Nov 15 2016
03:40:09 AM
Dav0615 Starting Member 6 Posts
We tried the bathroom bonding technique a couple hours before they woke up and it went fantastic. DEFINITELY A GREAT WAY TO START THE BONDING PROCESS. One bite Drew a little blood, but that was my fault for being to excited. We have a zipper pouch that we put them in after and wore it for an hour maybe two, And them put them back.

*THIS DID, OF COURSE, MAKE THEM MORE CURIOUS ABOUT THE NEW ENVIRONMENT. BECAUSE WHEN WE WENT TO FEED THEM TONIGHT THEY EXITED THEIR CAGE ON THEIR OWN WHEN THE CAGE GATE WAS OPENED.*

Thanks for all of the amazing advice!
New owners!! BONDING?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
New owners!! BONDING?