Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
WHICH DIET PLAN SHOULD I USE?? HELPPP !!!
Food, Diet
Nov 18 2016
05:30:12 PM
Welcome to one of the most confusing topics of owning a glider.

What diet should I feed is probably the first asked question when new owners find the forums.

So ask yourself a few questions to help figure it out.

Here is what I typically ask owners that I'm mentoring to help them figure it out.

1. Are you ok with buying ingredients or the entire diet online? Do you have a credit card to buy online with ?

1A. You answer No, great you just reduced all your options down to one. Bml is the only diet you can find all the ingredients locally. Congratulations, with one question you now know what diet to try first. All the other widely used diets require at least one ingredient from an online source.

1b. you answer Yes, GREAT! The option field is wide open, you can use any of the widely used diets.

2. Do you want to feed a "fresh" diet or are you ok with powdered diets? By fresh or powdered I mean some diets like hpw have powdered eggs, powdered bee pollen, powdered protein powdered honey. All the diets have some sort of powdered ingredients, some more than others, we call those powdered or instant diets.

2A You answer Fresh, great!! Bml or Tpg are mainly fresh diets. The vitamin n minerals are powdered but the rest are real eggs, real protein real honey. so you no longer need to look at the hpw diets.

2b You answer Powdered is ok, ok the diet field is still wide open.

3. Can you realistically and or physically chop and do the prep work for the diet ?
Some diets require a lot of chopping to prep the fruits n veg, some take longer to make the staple recipe than others, some take a 10 minutes, some take longer. I know I can't physically stand and chop for hours so I didn't chose a diet that requires me to do so.

Read the recipes and see what the recipe entails. Do you own a blender? some diets require them to be blended in a blender or food processor. some don't.

4. Can you afford all the ingredients consistently? I have 8 gliders right now, there are some diets I just can not afford to feed. The tpg diet requires a vitamin and mineral powder you can only order online, I can afford the ingredients for the staple, but I can't afford to buy their specific vitamin and minerals that needs to accompany the staple. I believe a one month supply for one or two gliders is $22.00 times that by 8....... nope. I think they do have a bulk rate but it's still to expensive for me and the ingredients of the supplement aren't even publicly known.

5. Do you have freezer space for the staple and or the fruit n veg salads relishes whatever... it seems like a silly question but it's not. My freezer is no bigger than a portable cooler. I can not fit a batch of hpw and it's required salad in my freezer lol. So realistically, it's not the most ideal diet plan for me or my gliders.

6. Probably the most important question of all, is what will YOUR gliders eat, and eat consistently well? There is no 'BEST DIET" there is what works for you and your gliders.

I love the diet I feed, because all 8 of my gliders eat it well, I can afford it, I can prepare it easily, and I have space to store it. These are MY reasons, this doesn't mean it will be the perfect diet for you or your gliders. To figure out what YOU should feed, means you need to figure out what you are ok with and what you are not ok with. Ask yourself questions, ask the diet creator questions, then make the most educated decision about what diet to feed based on YOUR findings.

Once you make a decision, give the diet time to work. Give the gliders time to give the diet a good chance. It may take a few days even a week or so, don't panic if they snub their noses at it initially. Gliders can be like toddlers when it comes to new foods, so be patient.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders