Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How do I bond 2 gliders with each other?
Question
Dec 31 2016
06:18:39 PM
I am 12 years old going on 13 in 2 months and have been researching gliders for a month now. Don't let my age fool you. I have been researching very extensively and know all about their cages, habits, diets, and how to bond with them. I am asking for 2 males for my birthday that is coming up soon and I was wondering how I could bond them. They would both be coming from the same breeder but I do not think they would have any experience with each other. Would it be safe to have them both in the same cage the night I got them, or should I keep them separated and if so, for how long?
Question
Dec 31 2016
08:40:20 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Separate them at first, make sure you place the cages far enough apart where they can't grab at each other's tails. They usually say quarantine, but if they're coming from the same place I don't think that'll help at all. Take them in to the vets, in separate pouches, and make sure they're healthy. Let them adjust to their environment before handling them too much (you probably know this from learning about how to bond with them). After awhile, you can switch their cage things to put the scent from each glider into the cage of the other. When you carry them, put them in separate pouches near each other. It may help to make sure they can't actually see each other at first, then slowly turn them around to face each other. I've heard people taking them into rooms or tents for playtime together, where you can get to them if they're fighting and keep a close eye on them. I've never bonded two gliders, but there are many threads on this website explaining how to do it and videos you can find through google too. Other people can probably give you a more detailed explanation. I think there's a few different ways people introduce, but ultimately it's up to the gliders to accept or refuse each other. Good luck
Question
Dec 31 2016
08:49:13 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I think first I'd ask the breeder if they were siblings, often times they are and already used to each other so nothing else is required.

I'd also find out how old they both are and if they aren't siblings, if young enough the breeder can do the intro so you can skip all the other stuff.

If your breeder is local they should be able to help with all this if they are worth their salt.
Question
Jan 01 2017
01:00:01 PM
EvanWantsGliders Starting Member 9 Posts
Thank you guys!
Question
Jan 03 2017
06:49:00 AM
Minadog77 Glider Visit Minadog77's Photo Album 59 Posts
I used the vanilla method for my joeys. You put vanilla extract (the real stuff not artificial) on their sent glands and introduce them. Since joeys are still baby's, they are afraid if the other glider is a monster or a friend. If they do not have a special smell they will not be perceived as a threat.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders