Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
Neutering older gliders
Neutering older gliders
Question
Jan 01 2017
10:13:35 AM
Hello! I got a pair of male gliders that are not neutered about 6 months ago. They are supposed to be a father and son age 4 and 5 years old. I took them to the vet for a check up and to look for parasites. I was thinking they may be too old to neuter and the vet agreed. I was just curious if anyone had experience with neutering gliders this age. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Question
Jan 01 2017
11:29:21 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I've never heard about neutering older gliders, but I can tell you that neutering older dogs/cats has many more risks and we'd much rather neuter at a young age, before the first breeding. I'm sure it's the same way with gliders. If you don't NEED to do it, I'd listen to the vet
Question
Jan 01 2017
11:41:01 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
neutering older males does have higher risks, mostly from the anesthesia.

Since they are father and son, and have always been together there shouldn't be an issue with them being intact and remaining together. I would have a spare cage and accessories on hand just in case, I think anyone that has more than one glider should be prepared with a second cage though.

Some folks believe if you ever add a female in the house, even in a separate room issues may then start with the two intact males. However, I know of at least one person that has a colony of males that some were to old to neuter that have been together for ages with females in the house that have never had any issues.

If you'd like to talk to her she would be happy to help and answer any questions. She has a few other older males that she decided to let them remain intact due to their age ( a little older than your males I think though ) She would have more insight on what the other risks are more than me, she has more experience with the older gliders than I do. let me know if you'd like to speak with her and I'll give you her fb info
Question
Jan 01 2017
12:26:07 PM
Jcat Starting Member 2 Posts
Leela- I would love her FB info. I didn't think the pros would outweigh the cons in this situation. I worry about them fighting, although not too much as they have been together since the son was born. I can just separate them if that is an issue. If I want to get another glider, what would you suggest? I'm assuming a neutered male would be the best bet. I'm really not considering getting another glider right now. I've often wondered if something happened to one of my guys, what would be the best pairing for a new friend?

They are pretty stinky, lol. They are also not use to being handeled much. They are skittish but not biters. I knew all of this from the start so it was no surprise. They were being sold on FB and I'm a sucker for an animal in need of a home.

Edited by - Jcat on Jan 01 2017 12:34:11 PM
Question
Jan 02 2017
10:50:39 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I have a little more time to post and think today , for some reason I was thinking your males were older than 4 or 5. 4 and 5 yr olds really aren't that old, old for gliders is 8 or 9 yrs old and up.

Usually around 8 or 9 yrs old is when we really have to consider if neutering is best or not at that point in their life.

One of my males was 4 yrs old when he was neutered just before we adopted him and all was fine, he was back to his normal self that same day.

If the gliders are healthy there isn't really any higher risks for a 4 or 5 yr old than a neutering a younger glider would have. A lot of breeding males get retired around 6 to 7 yr old, some are neutered some are left in tact it's really up to the owner and vets discretion.

Your vet may have agreed about the age due to lack of experience with neutering gliders. I would ask him some more questions like how many neuters has the vet done, what methods do they use ( there are different neutering methods ) traditional pom on, traditional pom off, lazer pom off etc... does the vet give pain meds or use e collars for after the procedure, stitches or glue or cauterized for the neutering site?
what is the after care needed?

If the vet can't answer any of this to your satisfaction look for another vet that has more glider experience. I have resources all over the country if you give me your city and state i can maybe help find you one.

Their smell will decrease considerably if you get them neutered. Try not to over clean their cage that will just make them mark things to stink them up even more.

As for best potential new gliders, there really is no clear cut answer to that. Even under the most ideal situations new glider additions are a 50 50 kind of deal it's either going to work, or not work.

If your males remain intact I would probably keep them as a pair. 1 if you go with a female they will breed and it may cause issues between the two boys they can and do fight for breeding rights, 2 if you go with a neutered male the potential for them not getting along is pretty high. They get along now because they have always been together, adding another male or female is going to change the dynamic in every possible way.

If you decide to neuter, then either gender can be introduced to them, which is still no guarantee it will work long term.

These are merely my opinions. I have done several introductions in different combinations with 6 of my 9 gliders. Some were successful and some were so unsuccessful that one of my females suffered facial injuries. She has since recovered and is doing fine. Introductions with any combination of age and gender is a crap shoot, we just can't predict the out come all we can do is do our best to listen to the gliders and prepare them to the best of our abilities for the introductions.

It can be hard, stressful, scary to do intro's especially the first time. Research different methods and get to know the gliders, give it some time before you make a decision. Once you do decide then gather up what your going to need, a second cage and set up, vetericyn vf, emergency kit.

I sent you a pm with friends facebook info, your also welcome to add me if you want https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

Edited by - Leela on Jan 02 2017 10:52:11 AM
Neutering older gliders

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
Neutering older gliders