GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New suggie glider parent - bonding?
Question
Jan 02 2017
12:46:19 AM
Hi everyone!

Today, I made the leap and brought two sugar gliders home with me today. After about a year of thinking about it, reading on and off about it, I decided it's a new year. Let's do it.

I originally wanted only one; however, the person I found selling them would only sell me the two together. They were not a breeder but someone who had bought them for their kids (who didn't bother with them). When I got a look at the situation, I felt really bad because these things had no toys in their cage, were being fed dry fruit only (like dried fruit from the human food aisle in the grocery store... and baby food yogurt bites, and meal worms - no pellets or anything) and they had not been handled very much at all as the owner had been sick also. They seemed like nice people... just definitely not meant to have gliders.

So, I went ahead and got them. So, I'm wondering if a pair of gliders will bond with you just as well? On one hand, if you have two, they have each other so will they even bother to bond with you. Or, if you put in the effort they will still bond? Regardless, I'll keep them both. Just wanting to make sure it's not too late. I know when I was trying to bond with them earlier, the feisty one jumped on me, ran up my arm, down my back, and glided to my curtain. I'm hoping that was a good sign?

They are both 6 and 8 months old.

Any advice would be muchos appreciated.

Question
Jan 02 2017
03:56:35 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Hello,
Gliders are social animals, in the wild they tend to live in colonies of up to 15 individuals, so they definitely can form bonds with more than one.
I even find it easier for them to trust you when they are in group, because they all have different personalities, and in a pair, chances are that there is one who is more confident who will "pull" the other
Question
Jan 02 2017
10:06:32 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
from the gliders we have had I would say, one or two, does NOT matter.
young or slightly older will bond no problem. their past life may slow down or speed up bonding depending on how friendly they were treated.
Think of bonding as a "trusting" of you. they will start to think of you as a friend and NOT a foe. Just like many other animals. My dog spent his first night at the front door trying to go back home. But with the dog he found out we are his friends in a day or two. With a sugar glider it take weeks or months. Each one is different and each one will start to trust you at its speed.
since we have several gliders, some don't get the one on one time that our first few did. But scarface is still making progress to trusting us, just at a much slower rate. Her brother Riggs was much faster to trust us, he will jump on us after a treat and then run away down the hall, while scarface will retreat into the cage if she thinks treat time is over. Riggs will come back to me and eventually climb back up my arm, usually for a treat. While scarface has to be picked up, but she no longer bites.

the more time you spend with them, the faster they will probably trust you. I would recommend as much nighttime playroom time as you can take, maybe a few hours in bonding pouch during day, and maybe if they dont bite a half hour of hand in sleeping pouch, then you just need time and patience.

my wife's bonded glider gizmo spend ALL day sleeping in her shirt, refusing several offers to go back into cage, I took him at 10pm and finally woke him up at 11:30pm and forced him off my hand and back into cage cause I had to sleep.
this morning the gliders where still awake at 8 am, and wouldnt go to sleep in my wife's shirt, so she had to leave without him for a road trip.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders